I think I'm gonna be the only one in my flat Watch

licensedtokiln
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've moved into Halls in Cardiff on Friday and now it's Saturday evening and I'm still the only person in this 5-bedroom flat.

I was really looking forward to meeting some new people. I'm 25 and put on the 'special requests' part of my accommodation application that I'd prefer if possible to be with other mature students, so I'm wondering if this is why I'm on my own?

I'm not sure if my uni even HAS mature students- looking around yesterday at all the other residents I looked older than most of their parents!

I'm hoping so much that someone turns up late to the accommodation, or that there are some societies I can join (they all seem to be sport societies and nothing else).

I was really relying on making some mates in my flat, since I don't like clubbing :/

How likely is it that I'll be in this empty flat for a whole year?
Jewelzela
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Which accommodation are you in? Most of Cardiff's rooms get pretty full.

Also which uni are you at? There's a few at Cardiff and knowing would help me give you advice.
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How is it set out? Like do you have your own bedroom and then you share a kitchen? Do you mean sort of one section of the accommodation as a “flat”?
licensedtokiln
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jewelzela)
Which accommodation are you in? Most of Cardiff's rooms get pretty full.

Also which uni are you at? There's a few at Cardiff and knowing would help me give you advice.
I'm in Liberty Fields between Maendy and Cathays, and I'm with Cardiff Met. Same here; all the accommodation info I've received emphasised the fact that not everyone will get a place. Thanks for your help
licensedtokiln
Rep:
?
(Original post by Deggs_14)
How is it set out? Like do you have your own bedroom and then you share a kitchen? Do you mean sort of one section of the accommodation as a “flat”?
It's a central corridor with a shared kitchen and living area. Then five bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms.
Jewelzela
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well that accommodation is used by both Cardiff met and Cardiff uni. Cardiff uni don't start until next weekend, so you may find you're sharing with some of them. Also since you asked for mature students, you may have postgrads with you, who also likely start later. Give it a few weeks, and then they'll likely open some kind of room swap system you could take advantage of. In the meantime, try and make friends with people on your course, and in the flats around you.
licensedtokiln
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jewelzela)
Well that accommodation is used by both Cardiff met and Cardiff uni. Cardiff uni don't start until next weekend, so you may find you're sharing with some of them. Also since you asked for mature students, you may have postgrads with you, who also likely start later. Give it a few weeks, and then they'll likely open some kind of room swap system you could take advantage of. In the meantime, try and make friends with people on your course, and in the flats around you.
Ah, that's great! That's put my mind at rest, thanks 👍
sorryforgotpass
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are you seriously complaining about getting a 5 bed flat for the price of a single room? God I'd be overjoyed...

Agree with Jewelzela though I'm sure it will get full soon enough
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Chester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • Kingston University London
    All faculties involved Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (135)
54%
18-20 years old (no) (30)
12%
20-25 years old (yes) (39)
15.6%
20-25 years old (no) (4)
1.6%
25-30 years old (yes) (18)
7.2%