unknownecho10
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
There are only 7 universities that do this course, looking at the admissions statement i realized i do not have enough work experience and the deadline is soon, i do have experience in vets and shelters but not enough, it also extremely hard to find some at the age of 17 as most require 18+, tbh i think its ridiculous to require 2 weeks at a practise and 3 weeks husbandry, some even asking for more. I do not want to take a gap year as i was sure that i will be going into uni in 2020. However, zoology has caught my eye. I want to study this course but will i be able to transfer a year later? or do i have to complete the full degree. If so does that mean i wont be eligible for another student loan if i have done a course already
Nessie162
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
5 weeks of work experience is really nothing tbh unless you live in a rural area with no opportunities whatsoever or if you have other commitments and just can't find the time.
Most applicants will have between 5 and 20 weeks.
How many weeks do you have now?
Not gonna lie, you have left it a bit late with the deadline being next month. At this stage you should be finishing up your personal statement (which should be based on your work experience) and not just checking the requirements

You can't transfer from zoology, you would have to finish your degree and apply as a graduate.
You would be eligible for a maintanance loan for the vet course after but you would have to pay the tuition fees yourself (>£9k a year).

Gap year would be your best option in my opinion.
Better spend 1 year at home working and getting more work experience, than 3 years doing a degree you're not passionate about.
ReadingMum
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There are 8 - Harper Adams starts for 2020 entry.
My daughter has been gathering experience towards this since she was 15 - it is possible to find placements but you have to push for it. Hers won't all count as some is too old but it runs to 22 weeks in total.
Was this a late decision to want to be a vet?
OrangeArcher
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ReadingMum)
There are 8 - Harper Adams starts for 2020 entry.
My daughter has been gathering experience towards this since she was 15 - it is possible to find placements but you have to push for it. Hers won't all count as some is too old but it runs to 22 weeks in total.
Was this a late decision to want to be a vet?
There's 9 including Surrey and harper Keele.
unknownecho10
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nessie162)
5 weeks of work experience is really nothing tbh unless you live in a rural area with no opportunities whatsoever or if you have other commitments and just can't find the time.
Most applicants will have between 5 and 20 weeks.
How many weeks do you have now?
Not gonna lie, you have left it a bit late with the deadline being next month. At this stage you should be finishing up your personal statement (which should be based on your work experience) and not just checking the requirements

You can't transfer from zoology, you would have to finish your degree and apply as a graduate.
You would be eligible for a maintanance loan for the vet course after but you would have to pay the tuition fees yourself (>£9k a year).

Gap year would be your best option in my opinion.
Better spend 1 year at home working and getting more work experience, than 3 years doing a degree you're not passionate about.
I have 2 weeks experience, and those were most definitely extremely hard to find. I have looked for experience over the year but many of them either said I have to be 18 or they were already taken. I know. I go to a college that doesn’t provide that much help either and instead only focused on academics. Plus I live in an area with barely no farms nearby. It definitely wasn’t a late decision to be a vet I’ve always wanted to be a vet since year 10, however I was just so focused on academics and my school putting academic pressure only I didn’t focus on the experience.
ReadingMum
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
My daughter managed to get 4 different local vets - some needed quite a lot of perseverance. One (our own vet) did say 16 when she was 15 so she went back at 16 and they said she now needed to be 18 or nearly 18. Given that 'nearly 18' could not be an insurance thing she pushed back and managed to get a week in the summer at 17 1/2. Even then the person she had been dealing with left without passing on the booking. A face to face visit got them to honour that. Don't rely on email as it is too easy to ignore.
She did a week at a donkey sanctuary and volunteers at an animal rescue- both were happy with a 16 year old.
Popsicle_pirate
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by unknownecho10)
I have 2 weeks experience, and those were most definitely extremely hard to find. I have looked for experience over the year but many of them either said I have to be 18 or they were already taken. I know. I go to a college that doesn’t provide that much help either and instead only focused on academics. Plus I live in an area with barely no farms nearby. It definitely wasn’t a late decision to be a vet I’ve always wanted to be a vet since year 10, however I was just so focused on academics and my school putting academic pressure only I didn’t focus on the experience.
I don't mean this to sound harsh but every applicant that has a serious shot at vet med has made sacrifices to gain the work experience needed for application, I appreciate it can be difficult to arrange but if you really want this then it really would be advisable to take an extra year to meet the minimum requirements for the universities you want to apply to so you won't be rejected pre-interview based on lack of work experience. It sounds like you have focused on your academics which is great because it is much easier to go back and gain work experience rather than re-sit exams, hopefully you will smash the grades needed and be ready to apply next October.
unknownecho10
Rep:
?
(Original post by Popsicle_pirate)
I don't mean this to sound harsh but every applicant that has a serious shot at vet med has made sacrifices to gain the work experience needed for application, I appreciate it can be difficult to arrange but if you really want this then it really would be advisable to take an extra year to meet the minimum requirements for the universities you want to apply to so you won't be rejected pre-interview based on lack of work experience. It sounds like you have focused on your academics which is great because it is much easier to go back and gain work experience rather than re-sit exams, hopefully you will smash the grades needed and be ready to apply next October.
Yes, with talks with my mentor, i have decided to take a gap year as it is the most smart move to make. It will make my personal statement stand out more too, i can possibly even volunteer abroad. But thank you guys on helping me decide on what to do
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads