This discussion is closed.
Anders Huitfeld
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Do any of you know what was the cut-off for a 6 last year? If i can improve my 5 by just one point
i'll get into medschool.. i think i got around 80% on the exam, with REALLY BAD internal assessment
marks (they were bad from before, and my teacher told me they down-adjusted them. internal
assessment sucks)

Also, what percentage does each paper count?

About paper one: There was a question about the spontaniety of too redox reactions. If I understood
correctly, you needed to recall a table of redox reactions in order to answer the questions. As I
understand the syllabus, this is not required. Do any of you agree? I'm thinking about complaining
to the IBO (I guessed that both were spontanious, any of you know if that is correct? If it is I
obviously wont complain. Would have checked if I remembered the reactions)

I have some questions about paper three too, but I guess i'll have to wait untill tomorrow to ask
them, as to not help anyone out

Anders
Katie In Shoes
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]> Do any of you know what was the cut-off for a 6 last year? If i can improve my 5 by just one point[/q1]
[q1]> i'll get into medschool.. i think i got around 80% on the exam, with REALLY BAD internal[/q1]
[q1]> assessment marks (they were bad from before, and my teacher told me they down-adjusted them.[/q1]
[q1]> internal assessment sucks)[/q1]

I don't know what the point breakdown was last year, but it does fluctuate each year. The test
seemed a bit easy to me this year, so I'm fearing the curve will be pretty high for May 2002.

[q1]> Also, what percentage does each paper count?[/q1]

Paper 1: 20% Paper 2: 26% Paper 3: 30% Labs: 24%

[q1]> About paper one: There was a question about the spontaniety of two redox reactions. If I[/q1]
[q1]> understood correctly, you needed to recall a table of redox reactions in order to answer the[/q1]
[q1]> questions. As I understand the syllabus, this is not required. Do any of you agree? I'm thinking[/q1]
[q1]> about complaining to the IBO (I guessed that both were spontanious, any of you know if that is[/q1]
[q1]> correct? If it is I obviously wont complain. Would have checked if I remembered the reactions)[/q1]

It was redox reactions between three halides. I forget the exact reactions, though. Either way, I
think what they wanted us to know is not really which specific reactions are spontaneous but rather
what relationship between two chemicals will lead to a spontaneous reaction. And from what I recall,
I think your guess was right (or rather, I guessed the same). If not, neither one was spontaneous.

And while we're talking about the test...I thought Paper 1 was not too bad, but Paper 2 seemed
almost overly easy. And Paper 3...I was barely prepared for it but seemed to luck out. The options I
wrote on asked some very easy questions, I thought.

Katie
loon
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
two years of inept a-level teaching has left my chemistry sl class as bad now as we ever were, so don't worry, the grade boundaries will be reduced... i put that both were spontaneous too, i thought paper two was pretty bad, options seemed ok but i don't think i chose the right question in the second section, probably could have got more on others.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (262)
33.98%
No (509)
66.02%

Watched Threads