The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4200
Original post by levantine
Hey everyone. I recently managed to (somehow) break my front derailleur(the thing that pushes the chain when you change gears) and

Im wondering whether its hard to fit myself if I buy a new one or should I go to a cycling shop to have it fitted??

Just get a shop to do it, takes about 5 mins max and they will allign the gears correctly for you

oh and as long as your nice to the staff they wont charge you much for the labour
(edited 11 years ago)
Amazing event today. "this is not a race", thats what the marshall shouted out on the microphone beforehand.... 10 minutes later we are travelling at 25mph to our rest stop 38 miles away. It was more of a race than a sportive lol, TVR team were there so you just knew it was going to be bad. My new wheels are awesome, flying along. Got 1 puncture and therefore got dropped. Caught them about 7 miles up the road and flew on haha. All those hill repeats were totally worth it :smile:
Reply 4202
Cavendish just got his legs trampled badly but walked off! I don't understand why phinney was close to the sprint action, while wearing the jersey.
Reply 4203
Original post by jj193
Cavendish just got his legs trampled badly but walked off! I don't understand why phinney was close to the sprint action, while wearing the jersey.

Favilli bunny hoped his legs. Ferrari is a moron and I hope he gets DQ'd for that outrageous move. Broken ankle (not confirmed by very likely from the replay) for Phinney, which is gutting in an olympic year.
Reply 4204
No broken ankle for Phinney. Apparently he's standing and smiling, but probably very bruised. That replay didn't look good for his ankle though.

Update:

Ferrari DQ'd. Also this statement by him is ridiculous, "I didn't do anything wrong. I can change my trajectory, I don't care of anything that happens behind me."

Phinney's heavily iced ankle:

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jj193
Ironically to avoid any crashes. It's always best to stay up front in narrow streets like this, not just because of time (okay I get the 3km bit), but also because of injury to yourself.

It just so happens that idiot Ferrari changed direction like he did. The comment after that he did not care what went on behind him shouldn't have just seen him relegated to bottom of the race, but thrown out of the tour.

Cavendish posted a picture on twitter today; all I can say is "wowzers". Undeniable pain beckons and he was lucky not to sustain more injury thanks to Farnese's Favilli bunny hopping him at 65kph.

TTT tomorrow with all the best coming out last off the ramp. I think it has Garmin all over this one. Sky has a chance as well as Stannard and Geraint doing very well in this type of event and with Eisel and Hunt being work horses. Here's my tips though:
1. Garmin
2. BMC
3. Sky
4. Greenedge

Other opinions?
^ So I was kind of right and wrong with my last guess. BMC sucked due to Phinney leaving the road and also the strapping surely having an effect. Sky - well what happened? Garmin did what I thought though.

Today's stage was another cracker for Cav. Absolute respect to the guy - he can out-sprint anyone side by side. The only way they are getting past him is receiving a pull and having a little less metres to complete the sprint. I always knew Cav was going to be contesting the sprint today after his missus said she would be at the line. I bet that gave him some inspiration for getting over the hill when not feeling his best, unlike Hushovd, Farrar and co.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4207
Original post by Né Stig
^ So I was kind of right and wrong with my last guess. BMC sucked due to Phinney leaving the road and also the strapping surely having an effect. Sky - well what happened? Garmin did what I thought though.

Today's stage was another cracker for Cav. Absolute respect to the guy - he can out-sprint anyone side by side. The only way they are getting past him is receiving a pull and having a little less metres to complete the sprint. I always knew Cav was going to be contesting the sprint today after his missus said she would be at the line. I bet that gave him some inspiration for getting over the hill when not feeling his best, unlike Hushovd, Farrar and co.

The Sky train was amazing. 7 team mates ahead of Cav with 3k~ to go. Goss had no chance. I don't think anyone can get round Cav, they'd probably need to be out in front first to have a chance. I feel bad for Phinney. He's had a rough few days with another fall today (though I don't know how that actually happened).

I forgot to correct my post above about Ferrari. My source was wrong. :p: Stupid that he was only relegated, not DQ'd.
(edited 11 years ago)
I got 16th overall in stage 6 of the Giro on my Fantasy Cycling! Guessed top 4 completely correct and had 3 domestiques also scoring points.

So down to earth for yesterday's stage where I sucked. What happened? I still have faith Scarponi!

Apart from that it looks like a good day for cycling today, unless of course you have endless pints of booze still remaining within your belly from last night. Getting up Highgate Hill last night on a bike with that quantity of booze in me nearly killed me.
Reply 4209
Oops.

Reply 4210
at least he wont need a new wheel.
Is there a fantasy league for the Tour? I missed out on the Giro one :frown:
Original post by soutioirsim
Is there a fantasy league for the Tour? I missed out on the Giro one :frown:

You have 4 types of points scoring:
1. Stage Standings
2. Tour Standings
3. Location Standings
4. Overall standings

The next tour post Giro (for Fantasy Cycling) is the Criterium du Dauphine Libere where Wiggo won last year.

Scaponi came good today! He's still my fave :biggrin:
Original post by levantine
Hey everyone. I recently managed to (somehow) break my front derailleur(the thing that pushes the chain when you change gears) and

Im wondering whether its hard to fit myself if I buy a new one or should I go to a cycling shop to have it fitted??

Not sure if you've done it already, but its a majorly easy job to do yourself. Take the broken derailleur's bolt off the catch link, remove it and put the new one on.

You've got two screws on the derailleur itself, the one closest to the seat post pushes the derailleur outwards, the one furthest away pulls it in, you adjust these to line up the chain's gear change. Too close to the frame, it'll grind on the teeth, it will pull to hard and it'll also drop the chain too hard, increasing wear on the teeth and chain. Pushing it out too far, it wont gear properly and you can lock-chain it, which WILL throw you off.

It takes about ten minutes to set it properly, you wont be charged and arm and a leg for having others do it and you'll be able to do it should it happen again.

Original post by Roobsa
Oops.

Can you imagine what was going through his head for the second between him seeing his wheel and being flipped off the bike? :tongue:

Not sure what forks those are, but must've been one hell of a kick.
Reply 4214
Original post by DH-Biker
Can you imagine what was going through his head for the second between him seeing his wheel and being flipped off the bike? :tongue:

Not sure what forks those are, but must've been one hell of a kick.

Probably 'Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu....ouch' :tongue:

Look like Manitou of some sort going by how the arch is behind the legs.

Its taken me 6 months but I have fixed the puncture from before christmas. Going out later in the sun to shred some trails, meeting a friend who is getting into mountain biking, will be good to have some company over there.. I hope they are very muddy trails, I imagine the arm pump from the braking bumps will be horrific though.
Good club run this morning, 50 miles. Had the Irish triathlete coach out with us which was good :smile:
Reply 4216
Further to my previous post, it seems I am now comically unfit! :frown:

One of the trails was flooded and looks very neglected, the other has had a lot of work done to it, huge berms, big jumps, a couple of scary looking road gaps, saw a few others there having fun, and some chavs ruining trails on motorcross bikes :rolleyes:

I definitely need a new front tyre, it kept slipping out from under me, although a greasy mud surface didn't help!
I'm looking for a set of panniers. I've found these on eBay, but I can't really find much about the reputation of Barbieri online. Does anyone know anything about them?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290665734209&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Alternatively, there would be something like this - but they're not waterproof, and Manchester is a fairly wet place, so I think I'd have to line them with binbags or something.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOUBLE-PANNIER-RACK-BAG-BIKE-CYCLE-STORAGE-TOURING-PAC-/260997518852?pt=UK_Sports_Leisure_Cycling_Bags_Panniers_SR&hash=item3cc4aa1604

Would love a set of Ortliebs, but unfortunately funds won't permit :frown:

Also, does anyone know if panniers are the sort of thing that thieves tend to go for? And if there's any way of securing them to the rack?

Thanks all
Original post by Irishguy2K10
Good club run this morning, 50 miles. Had the Irish triathlete coach out with us which was good :smile:

Niice, you doing any racing this year?
Original post by soutioirsim
Niice, you doing any racing this year?

Yea just the club league racing. I'm really enjoying the time trials and road races so far. When I get back from uni next year I want to do open racing, so quite a bit of gym work next year and see how I do :smile:

Latest