The Student Room Group

Access to HE Medicine, dentistry, physiotherapy, Midwifery etc.

Hello All,

Has anyone done/is doing Access to HE to Medicine, dentistry, health sciences, physiotherapy or nursing and Midwifery?

Can you tell us what has been included in the course? and what sort of modules have you had in each subject? (biology, chemistry, maths, physics, sociology, psychology)
How different is it from A-levels in terms of content/assessment?

In particular I am looking for comments on The Manchester College (UCEN) But comments regarding other colleges and institutions are appreciated too😊
Hello.

I just completed an Access to HE in Combined Science at the Citylabs ( The Manchester College). There is no much difference between your course and my course apart from the different course names both have about the same units.

I had four subjects : Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths.
Each subject had 5 units. So overall there are 20 units to do on this course and 5 from these are ungraded, I just had to pass them.
You will be assessed after each unit completed. Most of them will be supervised exams and there will be practicals too mostly in Chemistry. You will get assignments which you will need to complete at home (write essays and the overall word count will be between 1500-3000).

Compared to an A-level course this course is easier but you still need to study quite intensively to meet the submission deadlines and achieve the better grades.

I share you the units of each subject as like I said the two courses basically are the same.

Biology:
The Cell
Biological molecules
Diet and digestion
Genetics
Exchange and transport of gases

Chemistry:
Structure and bonding
Reacting Amounts
Periodicity
Energetics
Organic Chemistry

Physics:
Physical quantities and algebraic methods
Dynamics and statics
Gravitational and electric fields
Heat and Thermodynamics
X-ray spectra and medical uses of x-rays

Maths:
Algebra
Differentiation
Integration
Matrices
Logarithms and exponetials

The teachers are very good and I found the lessons interesting but they can't pass all the skills and knowledge to you as there are only two days to attend and there are a lot to learn. ( At least this was how the students attended the last academic year)
This means you will have to study a lot independently at home if you want to get distictions as this course designed to improve your study skills which you will need at the university.

The library is very good. I mostly borrowed books for Biology. Some of those I found really helpful:
Ross and Wilson Anatomy and Physiology
Campbell Biology
Mike Boyle: Human Biology
Biological Science 1 & 2 by R. Soper
And the Nelson advanced science series in Biology( thin blue books).

I also read some CPG GCSE books in each subject which gave me a good foundation when I started the course. I found them on Amazon just for pennies :smile:

I am taking a gap year now but my place has been confirmed at MMU and I start uni next year.

Lastly, sorry about my English as I am a Hungarian its my second language.
I wish you good luck with the course and I hope you found my answer helpful.
Reply 2
Original post by Just a Wolfie
Hello.

I just completed an Access to HE in Combined Science at the Citylabs ( The Manchester College). There is no much difference between your course and my course apart from the different course names both have about the same units.

I had four subjects : Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths.
Each subject had 5 units. So overall there are 20 units to do on this course and 5 from these are ungraded, I just had to pass them.
You will be assessed after each unit completed. Most of them will be supervised exams and there will be practicals too mostly in Chemistry. You will get assignments which you will need to complete at home (write essays and the overall word count will be between 1500-3000).

Compared to an A-level course this course is easier but you still need to study quite intensively to meet the submission deadlines and achieve the better grades.

I share you the units of each subject as like I said the two courses basically are the same.

Biology:
The Cell
Biological molecules
Diet and digestion
Genetics
Exchange and transport of gases

Chemistry:
Structure and bonding
Reacting Amounts
Periodicity
Energetics
Organic Chemistry

Physics:
Physical quantities and algebraic methods
Dynamics and statics
Gravitational and electric fields
Heat and Thermodynamics
X-ray spectra and medical uses of x-rays

Maths:
Algebra
Differentiation
Integration
Matrices
Logarithms and exponetials

The teachers are very good and I found the lessons interesting but they can't pass all the skills and knowledge to you as there are only two days to attend and there are a lot to learn. ( At least this was how the students attended the last academic year)
This means you will have to study a lot independently at home if you want to get distictions as this course designed to improve your study skills which you will need at the university.

The library is very good. I mostly borrowed books for Biology. Some of those I found really helpful:
Ross and Wilson Anatomy and Physiology
Campbell Biology
Mike Boyle: Human Biology
Biological Science 1 & 2 by R. Soper
And the Nelson advanced science series in Biology( thin blue books).

I also read some CPG GCSE books in each subject which gave me a good foundation when I started the course. I found them on Amazon just for pennies :smile:

I am taking a gap year now but my place has been confirmed at MMU and I start uni next year.

Lastly, sorry about my English as I am a Hungarian its my second language.
I wish you good luck with the course and I hope you found my answer helpful.

Wow! Thank you that's on-point information 😃
Do you know anyone that did either Access to HE Medicine or Midwifery?
and in your case, how many exams did you have?

I'vr been looking for more course details online but so far your reply is the most beneficial 😁
cheers x
Original post by His student
Wow! Thank you that's on-point information 😃
Do you know anyone that did either Access to HE Medicine or Midwifery?
and in your case, how many exams did you have?

I'vr been looking for more course details online but so far your reply is the most beneficial 😁
cheers x

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who has done the Access to HE Medicine course. I had 16 exams 4 of them were open book exams where I could bring my notes and handouts. However as I remeber that's the difference between the two courses as one of the teachers said. Number of graded and ungraded exams are different, but I am not sure about this. :smile: But the units are about the same .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending