This discussion is closed.
ben6781
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m totally lost! I’m going to teach myself 3 A levels over the next year so I can do a medicine degree! But i’m very confused with the following so if anyone could help me out then please do!

Due to me self teaching over the next year, how do I apply for university if i’m not enrolled at a college, can I create a UCAS account myself and apply? What would I put on my subject area/predicted grades if obviously I don’t know? When do I apply for university, before this November or will it have to be next November or next year through clearing once I have my grades? How do I do the UCAT? Thank you!
PastelColours
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ecolier might be able to help
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ben6781)
I’m totally lost! I’m going to teach myself 3 A levels over the next year so I can do a medicine degree! But i’m very confused with the following so if anyone could help me out then please do!

Due to me self teaching over the next year, how do I apply for university if i’m not enrolled at a college, can I create a UCAS account myself and apply? What would I put on my subject area/predicted grades if obviously I don’t know? When do I apply for university, before this November or will it have to be next November or next year through clearing once I have my grades? How do I do the UCAT? Thank you!
Who's responsible for arranging your exams? There must be an exam centre that you are attached to? Are you going to be doing practical exams? Courseworks? Who's going to mark them? If there's a teacher / supervisor then they'll do it.

Apply on / before 15th October the year before entry; i.e. for 2020 entry you need to apply in 1 month's time. For 2021 entry you need to apply by 15th October 2020. If you want to go through Clearing (risky but possible) then you need to hold no offers by July 2020.

You also need to take UCAT a year before entry, so for 2020 entry you should have done it by now / or very soon. Read the UCAT megathread for more information about that.

(Original post by PastelColours)
ecolier might be able to help
:ta:
ben6781
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Who's responsible for arranging your exams? There must be an exam centre that you are attached to? Are you going to be doing practical exams? Courseworks? Who's going to mark them? If there's a teacher / supervisor then they'll do it.

Apply on / before 15th October the year before entry; i.e. for 2020 entry you need to apply in 1 month's time. For 2021 entry you need to apply by 15th October 2020. If you want to go through Clearing (risky but possible) then you need to hold no offers by July 2020.

You also need to take UCAT a year before entry, so for 2020 entry you should have done it by now / or very soon. Read the UCAT megathread for more information about that.

I would be responsible for arranging my exams. What do you mean attached to? I would just sit as a private candidate at a centre in Birmingham. Apparently the cost of the exams covers the practicals! I didn’t know there was coursework in science/maths? Apparently I sit as a private candidate and they get sent off for marking just like if I was in college.

I would want to go to university next year! This is something I have literally just decided today so I have no work experience in a hospital/doctor etc due to me being 22. How do I do a UCAT, so to just put it as it is, is there no chance of me getting into university for next year?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
... a centre in Birmingham. Apparently the cost of the exams covers the practicals! ...
Ah there you go! Have you spoken to the administrators of this Birmingham centre?

I would want to go to university next year! This is something I have literally just decided today so I have no work experience in a hospital/doctor etc due to me being 22.
:eek: It's not easy.... why did you want to do Medicine then? How do you demonstrate commitment?

How do I do a UCAT, so to just put it as it is, is there no chance of me getting into university for next year?
Well if you don't meet the minimum requirements (i.e. having done UCAT or BMAT) then you will be automatically rejected!

https://www.ucat.ac.uk/

https://www.admissionstesting.org/for-test-takers/bmat/

Which med schools are you going to be applying to? It's a bit late in the day to suddenly decide to apply! It's literally 30 days from today that you need to have finalised everything.
ben6781
Rep:
?

I would be responsible for arranging my exams. What do you mean attached to? I would just sit as a private candidate at a centre in Birmingham. Apparently the cost of the exams covers the practicals! I didn’t know there was coursework in science/maths? Apparently I sit as a private candidate and they get sent off for marking just like if I was in college.

I would want to go to university next year! This is something I have literally just decided today so I have no work experience in a hospital/doctor etc due to me being 22. How do I do a UCAT, so to just put it as it is, is there no chance of me getting into university for next year?

Ah there you go! Have you spoken to the administrators of this Birmingham centre?

:eek: It's not easy.... why did you want to do Medicine then? How do you demonstrate commitment?

Well if you don't meet the minimum requirements (i.e. having done UCAT or BMAT) then you will be automatically rejected!

https://www.ucat.ac.uk/

https://www.admissionstesting.org/for-test-takers/bmat/

Which med schools are you going to be applying to? It's a bit late in the day to suddenly decide to apply! It's literally 30 days from today that you need to have finalised everything.
Not yet as I only found out about them today, I have emailed them and will ring them on Monday!

I’ve always wanted to do medicine, it has been my dream since I was a child to become a doctor! When I left school I was going to college until my family got into some financial trouble so I had to get an apprenticeship. Yeah that’s difficult to show due to the lack of experience etc!

Is it too late to do the UCAT now? Manchester/Cambridge/Leeds/Birmingham. Yeah I know it is, do you think it’s pointless then?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
...Not yet as I only found out about them today, I have emailed them and will ring them on Monday!
Yes you must clarify this.

I’ve always wanted to do medicine, it has been my dream since I was a child to become a doctor! When I left school I was going to college until my family got into some financial trouble so I had to get an apprenticeship. Yeah that’s difficult to show due to the lack of experience etc!
Yes but why now? Why 14th September and not in June / July / August? You have put yourself in such a difficult position. It's not impossible but certainly not easy.

Is it too late to do the UCAT now? Manchester/Cambridge/Leeds/Birmingham. Yeah I know it is, do you think it’s pointless then?
As I said above, it's not easy. The UCAT opened for booking in May and even straight after people were having some difficulties booking slots they wanted.

Have you tried booking to see if any slots are available near you?

And will your statistics fit those med schools? You know Cambridge and Leeds use BMAT right?

Oh you have left yourself in such a pickle :facepalm:
ben6781
Rep:
?
Also apparently I could get into university to do medicine through an access course but it seems a bit unrealistic as they would choose a level students, do you know if the access is true or not?
ben6781
Rep:
?
Yes you must clarify this.

Yes but why now? Why 14th September and not in June / July / August? You have put yourself in such a difficult position. It's not impossible but certainly not easy.

As I said above, it's not easy. The UCAT opened for booking in May and even straight after people were having some difficulties booking slots they wanted.

Have you tried booking to see if any slots are available near you?

And will your statistics fit those med schools? You know Cambridge and Leeds use BMAT right?

Oh you have left yourself in such a pickle :facepalm:
Yeah I wish I decided back then! I’ve just always thought I was too old to go to university and follow my dreams, you know because people who I went to high school with have graduated and got their degrees at 21 and I’m 22 so I felt too embarrassed about it.

I'm not sure where I would even book it. What do you mean my statistics please? No I didn’t but I do now lmao!

You're right I have! What do you think I should do/my best option is?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
...I felt too embarrassed about it
Plenty of threads on TSR from people older than you asking if it's too old for them to enter Medicine. The answer is virtually always no.

Someone aged 49 got told that starting Foundation Programme in their 50s may be a bit much; but you are years away from that.

I'm not sure where I would even book it.
The deadline to book the UCAT (already at a more expensive rate, the cheaper rate expired 31st August) is on 18th September.

What do you mean my statistics please?
Your GCSEs, your predicted A-Levels, your UCAT or BMAT which you don't have yet.

Read this if you haven't already (and I doubt you have since you don't even know Cambridge and Leeds use BMAT!!): https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf

...What do you think I should do/my best option is?
Honestly answer? I would apply for 2021 entry. There are way too many things for you to do in such a short period of time.

Use this year wisely, book work experience, start preparing for UCAT in April / May next year, give yourself time to excel in your A-Levels rather than juggling 3 A-Levels while preparing for interviews.

Getting 3 As / A*s is hard enough, doing them in a year is worse and preparing work experience / interviews while doing them is even more difficult.

I would suggest you calm down, forget about taking UCAT or BMAT this year, don't worry about the UCAS deadline on 15th October 2019. Go and start emailing GPs / hospitals for work experience, see if you really want to do it first before diving into it; doing UCAT and BMAT with minimal prep, then doing a personal statement and preparing for interviews while trying for 3 As in a year, to me, is bound to end in tears.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 year ago
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (214)
56.76%
I don't have everything I need (163)
43.24%

Watched Threads