Will police caution affect my degree? Watch

Snowball14
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello,
I am about to start my Masters this fall, it will be in Neuroscience. However, last year I made a very stupid mistake and was given a simple caution for sexual activity in a public place, nothing too explicit or extreme happened and there weren’t any witnesses as it was behind a door. I was not arrested, charged, or convicted, was only told to come to the police station at a later date to get the caution and it is spent. Police officer also told me that the offense is not considered a sexual offence but a minor, summary offence of disturbing public order. My question is will it affect my chances of securing my position in the programme?
I have already been admitted, hold an unconditional offer and I’m due to enrol officially in a couple of weeks and start my studies. At no point during the admission process was I asked to disclose cautions or apply for a DBS check. However, I received an email saying that later during the first semester all students in the programme have to get an enhanced DBS check done, as we might have supervised observational sessions with patients. Do you think this caution would cause me problems at that later stage or even become reason to have my contract terminated?
I’m sorry for the long post, I’m just very scared and would really appreciate your help! Thank you!
TheOnlyIzzy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Snowball14)
Hello,
I am about to start my Masters this fall, it will be in Neuroscience. However, last year I made a very stupid mistake and was given a simple caution for sexual activity in a public place, nothing too explicit or extreme happened and there weren’t any witnesses as it was behind a door. I was not arrested, charged, or convicted, was only told to come to the police station at a later date to get the caution and it is spent. Police officer also told me that the offense is not considered a sexual offence but a minor, summary offence of disturbing public order. My question is will it affect my chances of securing my position in the programme?
I have already been admitted, hold an unconditional offer and I’m due to enrol officially in a couple of weeks and start my studies. At no point during the admission process was I asked to disclose cautions or apply for a DBS check. However, I received an email saying that later during the first semester all students in the programme have to get an enhanced DBS check done, as we might have supervised observational sessions with patients. Do you think this caution would cause me problems at that later stage or even become reason to have my contract terminated?
I’m sorry for the long post, I’m just very scared and would really appreciate your help! Thank you!
Hi! I’m unsure if a caution will go on your official record, and it’s such a minor blip that I doubt you’ll be the only one. It depends how competitive the course is and what for (for example in child care it might be a slight issue) but otherwise I don’t see why it’s a problem since you were neither charged nor convicted
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
Never under any circumstances accept a police caution. It will show up on a DBS check.

Police use cautions when they are too lazy to prosecute, but by accepting a caution you are admitting the offence. Chances are it would never get to court anyway, but it looks good on their figures.
RA2000
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would definitely tell them now, and seek support from your student Union. Fingers crossed for you!
karl pilkington
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What did you actually do have sex in a toilet or something?
Snowball14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by karl pilkington)
What did you actually do have sex in a toilet or something?
No. Like I said, there was nothing explicit or extreme going on. It was just a little bit of ‘fooling around’, foolishly enough. But no sex.
Fruits125
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It may pose a problem but I doubt it. I would disclose it and see what they say. My friend had a caution for ABH and she had to disclose it when she did her social work course but they accepted her and it's never been a problem since. I doubt it affect your place but best to find out before you get started
Snowball14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I would appreciate if anyone has some more insight on the matter!
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hello,
With an enhanced DBS check, your police caution is highly likely to be flagged up but this shouldn't affect your course since it isn't something extremely serious like a criminal conviction for example. Having said that, don't be surprised if someone from the university asks you about the police caution - usually these are very minor things and you'll be fine. Hope this helps.
cemepexiv
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
A caution is a spent conviction and remains on your record forever. However, some convictions are filtered from your record after five and a half years. After this, they no longer require to be declared.

The nature of your conviction is very minor, probably the most minor it can get. Still, since your conviction has been served following your unconditional offer, you will eventually need to contact the authority and explain the situation. If there's any impartial services that support students as yourself, it'd be best to contact them first so they can guide you through and hopefully reach the most sympathetic people.

In the worst case scenario, you may contact a solicitor to challenge your conviction with the intention of expunging it from record, however this is expensive and not guaranteed.
Snowball14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by cemepexiv)
A caution is a spent conviction and remains on your record forever. However, some convictions are filtered from your record after five and a half years. After this, they no longer require to be declared.

The nature of your conviction is very minor, probably the most minor it can get. Still, since your conviction has been served following your unconditional offer, you will eventually need to contact the authority and explain the situation. If there's any impartial services that support students as yourself, it'd be best to contact them first so they can guide you through and hopefully reach the most sympathetic people.

In the worst case scenario, you may contact a solicitor to challenge your conviction with the intention of expunging it from record, however this is expensive and not guaranteed.
Thank you for your response! Just to clarify, I received my caution almost one year ago. My offer has been made unconditional now and they didn’t ask about it during the admission process. They might run the check later on during the year. I’m hoping it wouldn’t be a problem if it pops up then.
cemepexiv
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you for your response! Just to clarify, I received my caution almost one year ago. My offer has been made unconditional now and they didn’t ask about it during the admission process. They might run the check later on during the year. I’m hoping it wouldn’t be a problem if it pops up then.
Your unconditional offer was provided on the basis of a clean criminal record. However, you now have a criminal record. Entities may feel somewhat deceived if you are not forthcoming, especially if you're to deal with vulnerable people. Throw caution to the wind all you like; feel the same punishment twice for all I care.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (127)
18.12%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.39%
Not great so far... (251)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.69%

Watched Threads