The Student Room Group

Uni timetable

When I get my timetable on Monday will I find out when I finish the year and when exam is

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by travelcollegeguy
When I get my timetable on Monday will I find out when I finish the year and when exam is

You won't find out exactly the timing of your exams, as that won't be determined till much later in the term (if you have exams in January) or later in the academic year (if you don't have exams till the summer). That said, you should be able to know the dates of the exam season(s) for the year (i.e. the range of dates in which the exams are held), as those will almost certainly have been decided a year or more ago.

Similarly, term/semester dates will have been decided at least a year ago, and are very likely to be on your university's web site.

If you want to go home before the end of term, you should check what your university's policies are. You might be expected to ask permission to leave early, and your department will certainly frown on you leaving early and missing lecturers etc in doing so. (In practice they may not actually notice you've left, but it's still not a good idea.)
Original post by martin7
You won't find out exactly the timing of your exams, as that won't be determined till much later in the term (if you have exams in January) or later in the academic year (if you don't have exams till the summer). That said, you should be able to know the dates of the exam season(s) for the year (i.e. the range of dates in which the exams are held), as those will almost certainly have been decided a year or more ago.

Similarly, term/semester dates will have been decided at least a year ago, and are very likely to be on your university's web site.

If you want to go home before the end of term, you should check what your university's policies are. You might be expected to ask permission to leave early, and your department will certainly frown on you leaving early and missing lecturers etc in doing so. (In practice they may not actually notice you've left, but it's still not a good idea.)

I mean finishing for the summer
Reply 3
I mean finishing for the summer

Google is your friend in this instance, just search <university name> term dates.
Original post by R1C3
Google is your friend in this instance, just search <university name> term dates.

No, not the term dates, the date my course will finish. Im not going to have to stay until July so thats not what i asked
It really depends on your university, I believe. My uni timetable will have so many drafts that I don't trust it's accurate for the following week, let alone 9 months later. Regardless of whether we have a timetable, my uni also don't tell us when we break for summer until about March time. I know this doesn't answer your question per se, but it's my experience.
Reply 6
No, not the term dates, the date my course will finish. Im not going to have to stay until July so thats not what i asked

Bear in mind that your university might expect you to be available until the end of the summer term, even if your timetabled academic commitments finish sooner than that. That's why I suggested that you might want to check your university's policies.

Also, it's not a given that your university's summer term ends in July. My local university's summer term ends on Friday 12th June.
Original post by martin7
Bear in mind that your university might expect you to be available until the end of the summer term, even if your timetabled academic commitments finish sooner than that. That's why I suggested that you might want to check your university's policies.

Also, it's not a given that your university's summer term ends in July. My local university's summer term ends on Friday 12th June.

My one is later and finishes on 10th July which i hope is not true
Reply 8

You asked when you break up for summer- which is stated on the term dates for each University. Now you're asking when your course will finish- which should also be determined by the term dates.
If your course starts before or ends after the set term dates- only your course representatives can help you, in which case you're wasting your time posting here.
Yeah but doesn't late July seem late to you breaking up for uni. I thought it might be early june
It says that my term dates finishes on 3rd july but to me that seems really late. I want to volunteer to camp America next year and thought i would finish early june/middle of june

It wil most likely say when the end of teaching is, probably not exam dates this early. The dates of the exam window will be available now on your unis website, normally easily accessible via google.
It says that my term dates finishes on 3rd july but to me that seems really late. I want to volunteer to camp America next year and thought i would finish early june/middle of june

Maybe your uni will have finished for the academic year by then, that is a little longer than most unis (mid-June is more typical). That said the dates for your uni will have been available online for years, if it is the case, then you will have no choice but to deal with it.
Thats what it says

Some things i don't understand like MBA'S

https://www1.chester.ac.uk/about/about-university/term-dates
Thats what it says

Some things i don't understand like MBA'S

https://www1.chester.ac.uk/about/about-university/term-dates

MAB = meeting of assessment board

by the looks of it you have exams/work based learning ( possible placement dependant on your course)
https://www1.chester.ac.uk/undergraduate/placements/work-based-learning-wbl-module until the second week in June. Then the assessment boards meet. I have no idea if you need to be around after that.

The best thing to do is talk to your personal tutor, explaining your desire to do Camp America and ask when you have to remain in University for
Original post by watchingyouwatch
MAB = meeting of assessment board

by the looks of it you have exams/work based learning ( possible placement dependant on your course)
https://www1.chester.ac.uk/undergraduate/placements/work-based-learning-wbl-module until the second week in June. Then the assessment boards meet. I have no idea if you need to be around after that.

The best thing to do is talk to your personal tutor, explaining your desire to do Camp America and ask when you have to remain in University for

So why does it say the 3rd July then. I thought teaching finishes after the exams?
Reply 16
So why does it say the 3rd July then. I thought teaching finishes after the exams?

Assuming you're in 1st or 3rd year, from the website, you won't have any exams after the 5th of June, so that's when you'll finish. But if you're uncertain just email a member of staff. I don't know about your university, but my university (Liverpool) term dates ends in July due to graduation ceremonies.
(edited 4 years ago)

Since I don't work at your university I am unlikely to know and neither is anyone else on this forum.

It could be for postgraduate students, it could be to do with accommodation contracts, it cold be to do with when graduation is. As i said before the most obvious thing to do is to discuss it with your personal tutor/ course organiser who will be able to tell you when you are expected to be in university
Just had my timetable through. Its all over the place is that normal, one day i am in on a Monday, the next im off on a Monday. Sometimes I am in on Wednesday and Thursday but then off
Reply 19
Just had my timetable through. Its all over the place is that normal, one day i am in on a Monday, the next im off on a Monday. Sometimes I am in on Wednesday and Thursday but then off

Depends on the University I guess?
Mine is a little sloppy for the first two weeks due to module introductions + dissertation lectures. And then I have a few days on and off throughout the semester also due to dissertation checkups.

Quick Reply

Latest