The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Thread moved to the healthcare forum. :smile:

You can find a big list of applicants threads for all your institutions, as well as other courses here.

Here are some ice-breaker questions:

What course are you applying for:
What universities are you thinking of:
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades:
GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:

Share as much detail as you're comfortable with. :h:

Polite request: Please no sharing of specific interview questions. Feel free to discuss general interview tips and experience though. :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi!! I am planning to apply for a SLT masters in 2020, so far all I know is that I'm applying for UCL and City as I want to live at home. But will probably end up applying for more because I reaaally want to get in. The problem I am having at the moment is that I really don't have enough work experience. I only decided I wanted to do SLT a few months ago and I am currently working full time and its been sooo hard trying to find work experience in the evenings and weekends. So not very hopeful :frown:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
yesss!!
At the moment I think I’m gonna apply to Manchester, Reading, Cardiff Met, Essex and one of UEA, City or maybe Newcastle, what about you?? At the moment I’m studying Biology, Maths and English Lit A-levels, I really hope I get in!! What are you studying and how is your personal statement coming along?
Lily x
Original post by sallycheh12345
hello guysss,

is any of you planning to study speech and language therapy 2020?

what unis are you applying too?

If you study it already do you recommend?
Reply 4
Just checking in as someone who was on the threads last year - I'm currently a first year at DMU - anything I can help with in terms of wanting to know how the timetable works out in terms of contact hours or what textbooks are actually worth buying when you get an offer or whatever - let me know. Obviously won't tell about interview questions (I only interviewed for DMU and Sheffield's masters) but I couldn't really anyway as mine was a late application so wasn't fully typical of the interview process anyway.

Good luck to you all - I love my course.

The one thing I did pick up from asking around before my own interviews and applications was that the courses can tend to differ a bit in their emphasis and what they focus upon first - I know DMU go very much psychology heavy at the outset, whereas Sheffield go in much heavier on the anatomy/medical side to start with (we have those joys to come later). It's just something that came out when I was harassing every SLT I know for interview tips and opinions!
Reply 5
Hi, I am also applying for Sept 2020 Msc Speech and Language Therapy to Essex, Reading and Sheffield. Really hoping I get into Essex so I can live at home! I am currently working in a school for children with Autism and other needs for the year and gaining lots of experience as the children have weekly SLT sessions with the in house SLTs etc! I haven't applied anywhere yet - I think Sheffield and Reading have opened for the MSC 2020 intake but Essex hasn't yet? I am hoping to get my Personal Statement etc ready to apply in next two weeks!!
(edited 4 years ago)
Does anyone recommend studying speech and language therapy at City University of London?
hello guysss,

Hi,

yes I’m applying for either mcs (4 yrs course) or degree in Speech and Language at Newcastle Uni. 2020 start. 🙂
Reply 8
Original post by 123Tina123
Hi!! I am planning to apply for a SLT masters in 2020, so far all I know is that I'm applying for UCL and City as I want to live at home. But will probably end up applying for more because I reaaally want to get in. The problem I am having at the moment is that I really don't have enough work experience. I only decided I wanted to do SLT a few months ago and I am currently working full time and its been sooo hard trying to find work experience in the evenings and weekends. So not very hopeful :frown:

Hey! were you able to submit your application to City? I was wondering if anyone else had received information about going for an interview.
(edited 4 years ago)
hello guysss,

Hi! I’m going to apply to MMU and hopefully the new course at UCLAN, applying for the Pre-Reg MSc SLT, for 2020 entry. I already have an undergrad BA in English Language & Linguistics. Been stuck for 3 years as to what to do next. Always knew I wanted to do a masters and this year things have just fallen into place to make me realise I want to become a SLT.

How about you?
Original post by Larzz
Hey! were you able to submit your application to City? I was wondering if anyone else had received information about going for an interview.

I have an interview at City on the 28th November!
Reply 11
Original post by litlover24601
I have an interview at City on the 28th November!

That's amazing, congratulations! I'm an international student from Canada so they've asked me to schedule a Skype interview for some time in December :smile:
Reply 12
Yeah! Really strange (but happy) because I submitted my application one day before the deadline and heard back the next day! Going for the interview in Dec :smile:
Just popping my head in as I qualified as an SLT about 2 and a half years ago and work with children in the NHS :smile:

I won't be able to help with any personal statements or interview questions, but I'm happy to answer any questions about the career :yep:

Good luck everyone!
I have an interview for the 10th of December
Reply 15
I have an interview for the 10th of December

That's good! Where is your interview at?
Hi, I'm also applying for SLT (after almost applying for Business bc I had no idea what to do:colondollar:)! I can only afford studying in Scotland though and Strathclyde doesn't accept a second personal statement (don't want to risk only applying to 2 courses), so I'm applying for SLT at QMU & the rest of my choices are for Psychology. If I'm not accepted by QMU, I'll use the Psychology degree to progress onto an MSc in SLT:smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 17
Has anyone applied/ heard from Sheffield / Reading or Essex? I submitted my applications last night! This is for the Msc btw!
I got an interview for Sheffield on Wednesday for the 19th December!
I've got an interview for Essex today for 27th November :smile:

Latest