Relationship & religion

Watch
ThatBlonde
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I’m 14. My partner is 16. There is an age gap of 2 years and 4 months. Over the past seven months we have come to terms with our age gap, maybe to some of you guys age gaps don’t matter in school but for some reason our school rejects it usually calling the older person a nonce (excuse my French)! My question is can we thrive as a couple? He is an atheist and I am a Christian however he says he is happy enough to get married in a church if we make it that far. As for kids if we ever had any we agreed to let them learn if all sorts of religions and let them choose. Yes, we are young but we are told to discuss this in a relationship or else disagreements result in the partners going their separate ways. In general do you think me and him will last based on our religion and plan for the future? Any tips maybe?
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You should shelve romance for like three years, or at a bare minimum, not have sex until you're 16 because <16-year-olds cannot legally consent and any sex with them is statutory rape. That aside you both seem very open-minded and tolerant about religion and I don't foresee any trouble on that front.
ThatBlonde
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thanks! I would never do anything sexual until legal age and he has agreed to wait until i’m legal and comfortable with it

(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
You should shelve romance for like three years, or at a bare minimum, not have sex until you're 16 because <16-year-olds cannot legally consent and any sex with them is statutory rape. That aside you both seem very open-minded and tolerant about religion and I don't foresee any trouble on that front.
Kaiix
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you stay together the age gap won’t even matter anymore, obviously. It’s just 14 to 16 is sort of a huge gap due to the ages right now but you can make it work. As long as you’re mature enough to handle a 16 year old then that’s fine. I’m a whole year younger than my girlfriend but weve been in the same school year so it’s okay. With religion it’s a tough one, for dating it’s fine but for marriage it’ll seem quite complicated.

If you’re not a diehard Christian then it seems reasonable, unless you’re catholic or smth. Love is hard lol, we all fall for the same ‘plan’ trap and end up getting our hearts broken so don’t bank too much on anything, we’re all young and ambitious yet life hits us all differently, sadly.
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You've agreed on the biggest things, whether your religious beliefs work together depends on other points of religious doctrine:

-Are you both on the same page on sex before marriage?
-Is one of you going to get grievously offended if the other partner has a different opinion on something like homosexuality or abortion?
-Later down the line are you gonna insist on making him come to church with ya? Would he be cool with that?
-Do you plan on trying to convert him? Would that offend him?

If your answers to all of those are positive, then I don't see any potential issues on that particular front.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
14.69%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.59%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.9%
I need help with my personal statement (58)
40.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
25.17%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.1%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
6.99%

Watched Threads