The Student Room Group

GCSE maths teir help pleaseeee

I’ve been doing foundation for a while now and I am doing very well consistently and I would like to move up to higher but head of department isn’t moving me up whilst he is moving others up I am currently being tutored higher maths therefore I know the content I really need to do higher as I want to do A level maths I am in year 11 it is vital I move up quickly.
(edited 4 years ago)
I don’t understand why you’re not being allowed to change to the higher tier. Have you told them that you’re being tutored? See if you can find out from them why you can’t move up. Surely they can see you’re grades are improving. It’ll be such a shame being capable for the higher tier and to be stuck on foundation.
Original post by amira24151
I’ve been doing foundation for a while now and I am doing very well consistently and I would like to move up to higher but head of department isn’t moving me up whilst he is moving others up I am currently being tutored higher maths therefore I know the content I really need to do higher as I want to do A level maths I am in year 11 it is vital I move up quickly.

keep on telling them that you want to do higher try next week and do not stop until they say yes. If they still say no ask your parents to speak to the deputy head/head of curriculum/ head of maths. If you do not try to do this you will regret it as a level maths is a great a level to have. Maybe ask one of the teachers to give you a higher paper test and see if you can get a grade 5 or above. However to do a level maths you will need a grade 6 or above so if you do foundation you cannot do a level maths. Also a lot of science and maths a levels ask for a 6 in maths, for example in A level Biology/Chemistry you will need at least a 6-6 in combined science or a 6 in triple science in that subject and a 6 in maths. Hope this helps
Reply 3
Original post by FadingAway
I don’t understand why you’re not being allowed to change to the higher tier. Have you told them that you’re being tutored? See if you can find out from them why you can’t move up. Surely they can see you’re grades are improving. It’ll be such a shame being capable for the higher tier and to be stuck on foundation.

yes i have told them and i just have to wait for the next assesment like everyone else whilst others that have gotten the same grades as me or i have gotten better than have went to higher tier
Reply 4
Original post by ChameleonRun
keep on telling them that you want to do higher try next week and do not stop until they say yes. If they still say no ask your parents to speak to the deputy head/head of curriculum/ head of maths. If you do not try to do this you will regret it as a level maths is a great a level to have. Maybe ask one of the teachers to give you a higher paper test and see if you can get a grade 5 or above. However to do a level maths you will need a grade 6 or above so if you do foundation you cannot do a level maths. Also a lot of science and maths a levels ask for a 6 in maths, for example in A level Biology/Chemistry you will need at least a 6-6 in combined science or a 6 in triple science in that subject and a 6 in maths. Hope this helps

thank you very much i will keep on trying as i am hoping to do A level maths
Reply 5

thanks for your help i just don't understand people that i have been doing better than have moved to higher tier
keep working hard...i'm sure you'll get there! prove them wrong by getting an amazing score in your next test
thanks for your help i just don't understand people that i have been doing better than have moved to higher tier

No worries. That’s completely understandable. I would be annoyed to if I was in your situation. I just really hope they eventually listen and move you up. It’s clear that you’re working very hard and deserve to be moved up! Make sure you keep pushing them and don’t accept no for an answer. All the best and hope you get to do A level maths.
Reply 8
No worries. That’s completely understandable. I would be annoyed to if I was in your situation. I just really hope they eventually listen and move you up. It’s clear that you’re working very hard and deserve to be moved up! Make sure you keep pushing them and don’t accept no for an answer. All the best and hope you get to do A level maths.

than you very much
Reply 9
Original post by vix.xvi
keep working hard...i'm sure you'll get there! prove them wrong by getting an amazing score in your next test

thank you so much

it's the exact same with me but my school didn't let me move up as they said it will be too risky for there reputation. so I had to do foundation. however I got a grade 5 and I'm in six form
Reply 11
i have spoken to head of maths he still won’t let me although I have consistently been doing well and he said it’s none of my business to know about set changes . I am very close to my December mock
i have spoken to head of maths he still won’t let me although I have consistently been doing well and he said it’s none of my business to know about set changes . I am very close to my December mock

same happend to me but I was in year 11. so at this point I couldnt do anything so carried on the way I was working and got a 5 then I rang my teacher to confront her and gave a complaint to the head. if I was you every test you get make sure you revise it properly and do well on the tests. I would also recommend you that you ask your teacher that you want to move up so then they can keep an eye on you. remember keep on bugging your teacher, plus you may have parents evening soon so you could tell your to ask and if she still says no on that day just go to the head of maths with your parents
Reply 13
Original post by taranmistry
same happend to me but I was in year 11. so at this point I couldnt do anything so carried on the way I was working and got a 5 then I rang my teacher to confront her and gave a complaint to the head. if I was you every test you get make sure you revise it properly and do well on the tests. I would also recommend you that you ask your teacher that you want to move up so then they can keep an eye on you. remember keep on bugging your teacher, plus you may have parents evening soon so you could tell your to ask and if she still says no on that day just go to the head of maths with your parents

Thank you very much .We don’t have parents evening till March and the next test we have is mocks and all the a levels I want to do I need a 6 in maths and that’s not possible in foundation
Reply 14
Original post by taranmistry

And I am in year 11
Reply 15
And I am in year 11
Thank you very much .We don’t have parents evening till March and the next test we have is mocks and all the a levels I want to do I need a 6 in maths and that’s not possible in foundation

you know when you said that you need a 6 in maths you don't necessarily. I got a 5 in maths foundation and wanted to do accounting which was a 6. my argument was that i asked to do higher maths but teacher wouldn't let me and I worked my socks of to get that 5. good luck with moving I hope u the best
Reply 17
thankyou very much that was very helpful

Quick Reply

Latest