?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Is uni wifi ok to watch things like BBC I player, and netflix/ITV hub
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Of course! Just have a think about TV licence issues.
OR321
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah.... don’t get a TV license lmao
travelcollegeguy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Well you see i am not sure if I am covered by my parents address. I can watch BBC I player live at the moment when I log on to my email address because of my parents paying for it.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by travelcollegeguy)
Well you see i am not sure if I am covered by my parents address. I can watch BBC I player live at the moment when I log on to my email address because of my parents paying for it.
You can say whatever you like when it asks and they can't do anything about it.

(Original post by OR321)
Yeah.... don’t get a TV license lmao
That is the best option.
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah, uni wifi is probably some of the fastest you'll get, easily 50Mbps+ if not close to 1Gbps range.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
Use a vpn. I was watching BBC iPlayer when I was abroad in morocco lol (and I do have a t.v. license for everyone concerned, just wouldn't let me go on the app cos I wasn't in the uk)
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by travelcollegeguy)
You won’t be covered. TV licensing people do come around and check in student accommodation. Not sure how they would tell you are watching iPlayer though.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
You won’t be covered. TV licensing people do come around and check in student accommodation. Not sure how they would tell you are watching iPlayer though.
They can't force their way in, they can do nothing.
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
I checked this myself if you watch BBC iplayer on your device it should be covered by the tv license at home but if you have a tv in your university room that will need the license.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
They can't force their way in, they can do nothing.
No but normally they’re let in by university staff. So you’d have to refuse them entry into your room, and keep your TV out of sight.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
I checked this myself if you watch BBC iplayer on your device it should be covered by the tv license at home but if you have a tv in your university room that will need the license.
No site says you’re covered by your parents tv licence if you watch iPlayer. Not saying you should get a licence but be careful.
PurpleGhost25175
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Some places on campus may have TV licence such as the Student Union or campus bars. You maybe able to book out a room if you want to watch a TV show. A group of us (we were part of the Sci-fi and fantasy society so needed the licence) did that at the Student Union at Keele Uni - we wanted to watch Doctor Who but didn't want to pay TV licence for only one show. We checked with the SU and they said that they have TV licence cause they needed it to show live football in the SU bars. The SU were happy for us to use their TV licences as long as we booked a room in the SU. We ended up booked the room for the whole academic year and used iPlayer, Netflix and Amazon Prime to watch the Doctor Who episodes live as well as other TV shows.

If you don't want to pay of TV licence, you can always get a group of friends together and share the cost of it or find a bar on campus that will show programmes. Some unis have more than 1 bar (Keele has about 5 bars) and will have a whole building covered by the licence so it's worth checking that out.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No but normally they’re let in by university staff. So you’d have to refuse them entry into your room, and keep your TV out of sight.
Exactly, just refuse them entry.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeh it's fine and fast enough, faster than my home WiFi anyway.
If your parents have a license you are covered to watch bbc catch up just dont plug your laptop into its charger and it's fine.
austte
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How do they check if you watch TV on computer tho?
icouldntbeasked
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Anyone know how Derby Uni's wifi is?
Jiiny
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by icouldntbeasked)
Anyone know how Derby Uni's wifi is?
Im currently living in peak court and so far it’s been pretty good I use my PS4 in halls and the WiFi’s been pretty good on it, although the WiFi on my phone will sometimes disconnect if I’m not using it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads