grad17xreative
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi all

I graduated in 2017 with a 2.1 in a dual honours degree (biology and environmental science). I didn't really enjoy the environmental side but I stuck it out because, hey, I didn't want to waste time or money since I'd already started the degree. I really enjoyed the bio/human sciences side and I'm now kicking myself that I didn't do an occupational or healthcare related degree.

I currently have a full time job which I don't like, and I'm looking to get work experience in a clinical setting to see if I'd enjoy that kind of career. Problem is, I'm having a hard time finding anything because all the hospitals etc, offering placements only offer them to A Level students and not adults. I also can't do apprenticeships or anything similar because they don't accept graduates.

I'm going to volunteer at a local care home, but I want a clinical placement as well.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Blackstarr
Badges: 20
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by grad17xreative)
Hi all

I graduated in 2017 with a 2.1 in a dual honours degree (biology and environmental science). I didn't really enjoy the environmental side but I stuck it out because, hey, I didn't want to waste time or money since I'd already started the degree. I really enjoyed the bio/human sciences side and I'm now kicking myself that I didn't do an occupational or healthcare related degree.

I currently have a full time job which I don't like, and I'm looking to get work experience in a clinical setting to see if I'd enjoy that kind of career. Problem is, I'm having a hard time finding anything because all the hospitals etc, offering placements only offer them to A Level students and not adults. I also can't do apprenticeships or anything similar because they don't accept graduates.

I'm going to volunteer at a local care home, but I want a clinical placement as well.
On google just search the list of consultants in your local hospital. Just email loads of consultants and hopefully you will get a response. I am a healthcare assistant and whilst I have an advantage I was told the same by the doctors on my wards.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by grad17xreative)
Hi all

ooo i am actually recruiting, albeit not a clinical/hospital setting. do you have a Linkedin so i can see your CV?
Blackstarr
Report 4 weeks ago
You can also apply for a healthcare assistant band 2 job on the nhs website once you have created an account. Shadowing some one or doing work experience in a Care or nursing home is very valuable as well. But I get what you mean about getting something clinical. So like I said before email loads of consultants expressing your interest to shadow them etc from your local hospital or any hospital you would not mind travelling too. Whilst that is pending look fly nursing homes who would be willing to take you for some experience or shadowing etc. All the best.
Blackstarr
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
ooo i am actually recruiting, albeit not a clinical/hospital setting. do you have a Linkedin so i can see your CV?
I don’t have a LinkedIn account
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Blackstarr)
I don’t have a LinkedIn account
my post was aimed at the OP?!?!?! but you ought to consider getting one too...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (14)
6.64%
They might tell the bully (22)
10.43%
I don't think they'd understand (36)
17.06%
It might lead to more bullying (74)
35.07%
There's nothing they could do (65)
30.81%

Watched Threads