Peach933
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hello, I’m sorry if this is a stupid question.. does anyone have any recommendations for the best foundation schools to apply for an aspiring O&G?

Thank you so much!
Anonymous #1
Report 10 months ago
If you definitely want a track with O+G in, then you'd be best going for a FS with a lower entry score that lets you rank tracks rather than ranking hospitals.
Peach933
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
If you definitely want a track with O+G in, then you'd be best going for a FS with a lower entry score that lets you rank tracks rather than ranking hospitals.
Hi, thank you for the reply. Really appreciate it. I don’t really care about the rank/reputation of the hospital, but I’m looking for a foundation school that will give a good O&G experience during my FY.

What do u mean by rank tracks?
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
You're only likely to be able to do one O&G rotation in foundation years, and most FSs will have at least some programmes which include that. Experience will be better at F2 because you'll be on the SHO rota, whereas at F1 you'll be mostly supernumerary, but it would mean you had definitely completed it by the time of applications. I think the previous poster meant if you apply to less competitive regions you're more likely to be able to get an O&G post - though it's one of the jobs that some people will be desperate to avoid so I shouldn't think you'd have too much trouble getting it!
Peach933
Rep:
?
(Original post by Helenia)
You're only likely to be able to do one O&G rotation in foundation years, and most FSs will have at least some programmes which include that. Experience will be better at F2 because you'll be on the SHO rota, whereas at F1 you'll be mostly supernumerary, but it would mean you had definitely completed it by the time of applications. I think the previous poster meant if you apply to less competitive regions you're more likely to be able to get an O&G post - though it's one of the jobs that some people will be desperate to avoid so I shouldn't think you'd have too much trouble getting it!
I see. Thank you so much for the reply. That has been really useful. Really appreciate it! Are there any foundation schools or parts of UK that are well known for their health care with women's health/O&G?
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Peach933)
I see. Thank you so much for the reply. That has been really useful. Really appreciate it! Are there any foundation schools or parts of UK that are well known for their health care with women's health/O&G?
Well, it's one of the most common specialties, so you'd be able to get experience anywhere. Any university hospital will have some teaching and research opportunities. I guess Queen Charlotte's (West London) and maybe Liverpool Women's are the best known for the specialty but I've no idea if they actually take foundation docs there.
Ceryni
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Are you a final year, or is this just like working things out a bit in advance?

Just bc if you’re asking this as a final year, it’s probably worth doing some more intense looking into AFP/FPP/all the various jobs on Medibuddy to work out what route you may want to go down if securing a O&G job is really like your top priority.
Peach933
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ceryni)
Are you a final year, or is this just like working things out a bit in advance?

Just bc if you’re asking this as a final year, it’s probably worth doing some more intense looking into AFP/FPP/all the various jobs on Medibuddy to work out what route you may want to go down if securing a O&G job is really like your top priority.
Hi Ceryni, thank u so much for the advice!!! Yes I am currently a final year and honestly I have no idea which foundation schools to rank as my top choices... That's why I was thinking of deciding the order based on my interest with O&G and surgery.

Is Medibuddy a questionnaire to help decide which specialty is suitable for me?

As for AFP/FPP, aren't those applications optional?

I have no idea on how to look for the foundation schools based on my interests (O&G).. can you please provide some advice regarding that? 😭 Are there any online resources I can look at to know what each foundation school excels at?
Last edited by Peach933; 10 months ago
Peach933
Rep:
?
Well, it's one of the most common specialties, so you'd be able to get experience anywhere. Any university hospital will have some teaching and research opportunities. I guess Queen Charlotte's (West London) and maybe Liverpool Women's are the best known for the specialty but I've no idea if they actually take foundation docs there.
I see! Thank you so much for your help.. >< I'll go and check them out. Do you know what the Manchester hospitals are best known for?
Ceryni
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi Ceryni, thank u so much for the advice!!! Yes I am currently a final year and honestly I have no idea which foundation schools to rank as my top choices... That's why I was thinking of deciding the order based on my interest with O&G and surgery.

Is Medibuddy a questionnaire to help decide which specialty is suitable for me?

As for AFP/FPP, aren't those applications optional?

I have no idea on how to look for the foundation schools based on my interests (O&G).. can you please provide some advice regarding that? 😭 Are there any online resources I can look at to know what each foundation school excels at?
Medibuddy shows every job allocated in every foundation school last year. It allows you to choose your preference in jobs, preference in location within a foundation school, and then will automatically rank the jobs according to your choices and you can then export it to excel and play around with the spreadsheet yourself. Bit of a dangerous gambit if you’re easily addicted to spreadsheets like me 😅 me and my friends seem to find colour-coding this stuff fun, but we are a bit odd tbh

AFP/FPP are optional yes, but if you’re uber keen for O&G they’re worth looking at, as it may just be another route of ensuring you get a job that would set you up nicely to get audit work/mentorship for O&G during F1/2. That’s if there are any AFP/FPP posts specifically for O&G - I haven’t really looked as it’s not a specialty I’m particularly interested in tbh.

As for where to apply, I really don’t think prestige is a good way to be looking at things. Places that are super renowned for O&G are likely to be so because of research or projects waaay above your grade as an F1/2. They also may be large teaching hospitals where getting any kind of responsibility would be hard, and you may find your actual clinical experience might not benefit as much as going to a regular O&G department in a DGH where you could get really stuck into on calls, audits, and build a portfolio from there.
HHaricot
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Why dont you look at the gmc data for obs and trainees?
https://webcache.gmc-uk.org/analytic...tajtnkh7jh31lu
Because if they are happy, it suggests that it would be a good area to go to do foundation if you want to go into obs and gynae?
HHaricot
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Medibuddy shows every job allocated in every foundation school last year. It allows you to choose your preference in jobs, preference in location within a foundation school, and then will automatically rank the jobs according to your choices and you can then export it to excel and play around with the spreadsheet yourself. Bit of a dangerous gambit if you’re easily addicted to spreadsheets like me 😅 me and my friends seem to find colour-coding this stuff fun, but we are a bit odd tbh

AFP/FPP are optional yes, but if you’re uber keen for O&G they’re worth looking at, as it may just be another route of ensuring you get a job that would set you up nicely to get audit work/mentorship for O&G during F1/2. That’s if there are any AFP/FPP posts specifically for O&G - I haven’t really looked as it’s not a specialty I’m particularly interested in tbh.

As for where to apply, I really don’t think prestige is a good way to be looking at things. Places that are super renowned for O&G are likely to be so because of research or projects waaay above your grade as an F1/2. They also may be large teaching hospitals where getting any kind of responsibility would be hard, and you may find your actual clinical experience might not benefit as much as going to a regular O&G department in a DGH where you could get really stuck into on calls, audits, and build a portfolio from there.
With the changes for the new priority programmes, the medibuddy isnt necessarily accurate. So it might help you have an idea, but lots of places have rejigged some rotations and rotation orders. So dont completely rely on it.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Agree completely with this. Choose places you want to live, for whatever reason, prestige doesn't matter too much at this stage.
Peach933
Rep:
?

Hi Ceryni, again, thank you so much for the advice. really appreciate it! 😄 I just checked Medibuddy and saw what you mean about the spreadsheets haha 😂 it was really helpful

I see. Thanks for explaining! May I know if the applications for the AFP/FPP has to be made via post or is it included in the Oriel application as well?

Also, I agree that the prestige of hospitals does not matter.. and what I'm really looking for is an allocation that will allow me to gain as much experience as I can. (therefore, I agree that doing O&G in DGH during FY2 will probably give me more responsibilities and experience. Thanks for the advice!).
Peach933
Rep:
?
(Original post by HHaricot)
Why dont you look at the gmc data for obs and trainees?
https://webcache.gmc-uk.org/analytic...tajtnkh7jh31lu
Because if they are happy, it suggests that it would be a good area to go to do foundation if you want to go into obs and gynae?
Hi HHaricot, thank u so much for the suggestion! That was a very good idea but unfortunately, I couldn't assess that website with my pre-registration GMC number/account 😅

and I will keep in mind to not rely on Medibuddy too much! Thanks! 👍
Peach933
Rep:
?
Agree completely with this. Choose places you want to live, for whatever reason, prestige doesn't matter too much at this stage.
I see. Do most people rank their choices according to the places they want to live?
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I see. Do most people rank their choices according to the places they want to live?
Yes, or hospitals they want to work in for whatever reason. If you wanted to do something like neurosurgery which is only in a few centres, that might be a contributing factor, but O&G is much more ubiquitous so that's less important.
HHaricot
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi HHaricot, thank u so much for the suggestion! That was a very good idea but unfortunately, I couldn't assess that website with my pre-registration GMC number/account 😅

and I will keep in mind to not rely on Medibuddy too much! Thanks! 👍
I think you can do it as a guest?? I managed to look at it anyway without using any kind of registration. Sorry it didnt work for you
Peach933
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by HHaricot)
I think you can do it as a guest?? I managed to look at it anyway without using any kind of registration. Sorry it didnt work for you
I see, I'll check it out again. Thank u!
Peach933
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Yes, or hospitals they want to work in for whatever reason. If you wanted to do something like neurosurgery which is only in a few centres, that might be a contributing factor, but O&G is much more ubiquitous so that's less important.
I see. Thank u
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (60)
40.82%
Take autumn exams (53)
36.05%
Look for a job (3)
2.04%
Consider an apprenticeship (4)
2.72%
Take a year out (19)
12.93%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (8)
5.44%

Watched Threads