The Student Room Group

how much GSCES are important for Oxford

I was just wondering, in percentage, how much GCSEs are taken into account for undergrad admissions compared to A Levels, External Tests, PS and references?

Any input is much appreciated :smile:
It's not quantified by a percentage. Like any university, the GCSEs are looked at and taken into account - but they are also taken in context so every student is different. Have you taken your GCSEs and got your results? If so, then that part of things is done and you can't change the grades - focus on your A levels, so you can get your A level predictions high and then meet them,and your personal statement and any other required written work. If you haven't taken your GCSEs yet, then just do the best you can - this is important for any further education, Oxford or otherwise.

I hope this helps!
Reply 2
GCSE's are looked at and having excellent GCSEs will improve your chances,, but I'd say that they are far less important than (predicted) A-levels, admissions tests/essays and interviews in determining who gets a place. One of my best friends is starting maths at Oxford this year, without particularly impressive GCSE results (a couple of A* and As and a fair few lower grades).I wouldn't like to put a percentage on it, but in would say that, providing your GCSEs are high in the subject you wish to study, then having average overall GCSEs will matter very little if you are prepared to put in the work before and during the application process.
Reply 3
Original post by lancpe2002
I was just wondering, in percentage, how much GCSEs are taken into account for undergrad admissions compared to A Levels, External Tests, PS and references?

Any input is much appreciated :smile:

The answer very much depends on what subject you're applying for. They're significantly more important for medicine than for maths, for example, and generally more so when a subject has no pre-interview test.
Original post by RichE
The answer very much depends on what subject you're applying for. They're significantly more important for medicine than for maths, for example, and generally more so when a subject has no pre-interview test.

Original post by slazman
GCSE's are looked at and having excellent GCSEs will improve your chances,, but I'd say that they are far less important than (predicted) A-levels, admissions tests/essays and interviews in determining who gets a place. One of my best friends is starting maths at Oxford this year, without particularly impressive GCSE results (a couple of A* and As and a fair few lower grades).I wouldn't like to put a percentage on it, but in would say that, providing your GCSEs are high in the subject you wish to study, then having average overall GCSEs will matter very little if you are prepared to put in the work before and during the application process.

Original post by ChChOxford
It's not quantified by a percentage. Like any university, the GCSEs are looked at and taken into account - but they are also taken in context so every student is different. Have you taken your GCSEs and got your results? If so, then that part of things is done and you can't change the grades - focus on your A levels, so you can get your A level predictions high and then meet them,and your personal statement and any other required written work. If you haven't taken your GCSEs yet, then just do the best you can - this is important for any further education, Oxford or otherwise.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the replies, well, my situation is rather particular as I was forced at the beginning of Y12 to take just English Lang and Maths (I am an international student and I wasn't in the UK in Y11) with no preparation offered by the school for November entry. I ended up with a 6 and a 5 respectively (I was put in the foundation tier for maths). My grades from Y11 in Italy were very good, but not outstanding ( 2 8s and all the other 7s translated in GCSEs roughly). I want to apply to Law. Apart from that I am predicted A*A*A* and a A* A-Level grade already achieved. I think I can do at leat equivalent or better than the average LNAT score of the typical offer holder from the past papers that I have done, but I fear that those 2 GCSEs would hold my back....
Reply 5
Thanks for the replies, well, my situation is rather particular as I was forced at the beginning of Y12 to take just English Lang and Maths (I am an international student and I wasn't in the UK in Y11) with no preparation offered by the school for November entry. I ended up with a 6 and a 5 respectively (I was put in the foundation tier for maths). My grades from Y11 in Italy were very good, but not outstanding ( 2 8s and all the other 7s translated in GCSEs roughly). I want to apply to Law. Apart from that I am predicted A*A*A* and a A* A-Level grade already achieved. I think I can do at leat equivalent or better than the average LNAT score of the typical offer holder from the past papers that I have done, but I fear that those 2 GCSEs would hold my back....

Your situation is clearly rather unusual. I think the most important thing - and not just re any application to Oxford, but important for all your university applicants - is that your teachers are explaining your GCSE situation in the teachers' reference on the UCAS form. (They will likely do that automatically, but you should discuss this with your teachers when applying next year.)
Original post by RichE
Your situation is clearly rather unusual. I think the most important thing - and not just re any application to Oxford, but important for all your university applicants - is that your teachers are explaining your GCSE situation in the teachers' reference on the UCAS form. (They will likely do that automatically, but you should discuss this with your teachers when applying next year.)

Thanks, yes, they said that they are going to explain it, although I still remain a little concerned about it, do you think it would be better off applying to Cambridge instead?
Reply 7
Thanks, yes, they said that they are going to explain it, although I still remain a little concerned about it, do you think it would be better off applying to Cambridge instead?

I don't think you should rush that decision. The two law degrees aren't that dissimilar (so I understand). Can you make some of the open days in 2020? Base your decision on that.
Original post by RichE
I don't think you should rush that decision. The two law degrees aren't that dissimilar (so I understand). Can you make some of the open days in 2020? Base your decision on that.

Sorry I think I did not explain it properly, I am currently in Y13 and I am applying this autumn, I have already been to both unis and I would prefer Oxford but strategically I am not sure how good this decision is
Reply 9
Sorry I think I did not explain it properly, I am currently in Y13 and I am applying this autumn, I have already been to both unis and I would prefer Oxford but strategically I am not sure how good this decision is

Sorry I thought I had read you are Year 12. I would say go with your preferred uni - come what may applications are competitive so you need to be realistic. Have you tried past LNAT papers and felt comfortable with them? I don't think your GCSE profile has anything in it to mean you couldn't get an offer, but if you want the official line on that you should contact the Law department.
Original post by RichE
Sorry I thought I had read you are Year 12. I would say go with your preferred uni - come what may applications are competitive so you need to be realistic. Have you tried past LNAT papers and felt comfortable with them? I don't think your GCSE profile has anything in it to mean you couldn't get an offer, but if you want the official line on that you should contact the Law department.

Thanks, I aim to 30+ in the MCQ and I practising the essay, I will definitely email them to ask

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending