VatDeFaaak
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I have recently graduated with a first class economics degree, and I also have a year of accountancy experience (placement year). However, my A level grades are not good (CCD, completely my fault, I picked the wrong A levels), does this mean I will not be accepted onto any training contracts?

Thanks
Last edited by VatDeFaaak; 5 months ago
DrBin
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Most ACA contracts require some amount of UCAS points that normally equal BBC or better. You could look for graduate programs that don't have alevel requirements - i.e. the big 4, or you could look on ACA's website directly to receive advice.
VatDeFaaak
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrBin)
Most ACA contracts require some amount of UCAS points that normally equal BBC or better. You could look for graduate programs that don't have alevel requirements - i.e. the big 4, or you could look on ACA's website directly to receive advice.
Thanks for your reply,

I have found 2 or 3 roles on the ICAEW (out of 29) that do not mention A level results and I have applied, however I imagine that they are probably very competitive. Do you think it would be better to focus on ACCA or CIMA?
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by VatDeFaaak)
Thanks for your reply,

I have found 2 or 3 roles on the ICAEW (out of 29) that do not mention A level results and I have applied, however I imagine that they are probably very competitive. Do you think it would be better to focus on ACCA or CIMA?
I think I would apply for a load of schemes anyway - look for the websites for the top 30 or so firms plus anything in your area - and also apply for industry/ CIMA/ ACCA schemes. Its better to have covered a lot of opportunities and then to see how you get on in the application processes.
VatDeFaaak
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
I think I would apply for a load of schemes anyway - look for the websites for the top 30 or so firms plus anything in your area - and also apply for industry/ CIMA/ ACCA schemes. Its better to have covered a lot of opportunities and then to see how you get on in the application processes.
Thanks, it seems like that is the best idea. I'm going to apply for anything that offers a training contract for an accountancy qualification. The reason why I wanted to only apply for ACA is because I've seen many people on this site say that it is more respected than ACCA/CIMA and the salary is higher, is this the case?
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thanks, it seems like that is the best idea. I'm going to apply for anything that offers a training contract for an accountancy qualification. The reason why I wanted to only apply for ACA is because I've seen many people on this site say that it is more respected than ACCA/CIMA and the salary is higher, is this the case?
Is it more respected? Well for some employers, yes. Others prefer CIMA and think ACA is for stuffed shirts! Likewise it’s more respected among students on TSR and possibly your mums friends.

I think on balance if I were applying for grad schemes I’d have a slight preference for aca but not by a lot.

A good big company scheme can be very good and have better prospects than most training schemes in the profession.
VatDeFaaak
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
Is it more respected? Well for some employers, yes. Others prefer CIMA and think ACA is for stuffed shirts! Likewise it’s more respected among students on TSR and possibly your mums friends.

I think on balance if I were applying for grad schemes I’d have a slight preference for aca but not by a lot.

A good big company scheme can be very good and have better prospects than most training schemes in the profession.
Thanks for the advice,

I'm going to apply for any training scheme, would I be able to go into the big 4 after I become qualified to boost my CV, or do they hire only big 4 training scheme graduates?
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thanks for the advice,

I'm going to apply for any training scheme, would I be able to go into the big 4 after I become qualified to boost my CV, or do they hire only big 4 training scheme graduates?
Well, there are a huge range of jobs in the big 4 so it’s not sensible to generalise. I think they tend to pick up staff with experience of audit in other firms. Lots of people go this route into the big 4 for a year or so.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (330)
60.44%
Yes- I don't like it (28)
5.13%
No- I want it (149)
27.29%
No- I don't want it (39)
7.14%

Watched Threads