username1529975
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Which institution is harder: BPP or Uni of Law?

Any recent students from either with some tips/advice?

Thanks!
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Tow)
Which institution is harder: BPP or Uni of Law?

Any recent students from either with some tips/advice?

Thanks!
Well my daughter did her GDL at Uni of Law and she found it very hard, much more difficult than her degree. It is just an awful lot of information to cram into your brain as they are compressing 18months/2 years of a Law degree into one year. From what I have heard, the difficulty is pretty much the same whichever institution you do the GDL at and there is no particular prestige attached to particular places. So you should just visit the ones that interest you and see which one has a nicer feel to it. For example, the Uni of Law in Bloomsbury has quite a relaxed feel, whereas their Moorgate branch (and BPP in Waterloo) both feel more corporate.
17Student17
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I think they are similar and they are changing GDL has a new GDL from Sept 2020 crammed into 8 months. UoL has not said anything about its 2020 GDL yet so hopefully in the next 2 weeks both of htem will issue their new GDL details. It is a transitional year so some will be doing the GDL in 2020 and qualify under the existing route and some will do it planning to do the new SQL exams as well so quite complex.

BPP has decided to make its GDL shorter but with as many hours I believe so I suppose that might be harder. Also they are adding company law - which is required for the new SQE system but not the old so I suppose that might be harder too but may be UoL will be doing that too but we do not know yet even though there are only about 2 weeks away from applications going in.

Traditionally BPP did exams that count for your mark at the end of the academic year but UoL does them for the modules of that term at end of each term which is probably easier. However from September 2020 I believe BPP are moving to that UoL system with exams at end of each terms. I think it is unacceptable neither of them has issued their September 2020 brochure yet when people are sitting here choosing between the two and applications opening on 1 October but hopefully more details will emerge very shortly indeed!
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by 17Student17)
I think they are similar and they are changing GDL has a new GDL from Sept 2020 crammed into 8 months.
Traditionally BPP did exams that count for your mark at the end of the academic year but UoL does them for the modules of that term at end of each term which is probably easier. However from September 2020 I believe BPP are moving to that UoL system with exams at end of each terms.
The modular system at Uni of Law obviously came into effect after my daughter's cohort (2014) - they still had all their exams at the end of the academic year but quite a few people failed so that is probably why they changed it. I agree the modular system sounds easier!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (237)
66.76%
No (118)
33.24%

Watched Threads