Should men have to pay for the bill at dates? Watch

Poll: Should men have to pay for the bill at dates?
Yes men should have to pay the bill. (12)
16.9%
No men shouldn’t have to pay the bill. (59)
83.1%
SCAREDYSTUDENT
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Debate and discuss your opinion.
Isobeldace
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I feel like it’s a nice gesture but it shouldn’t be expected of them
lhabgabdgbfa
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
they shouldn't HAVE to but obviously it'd be nice and stuff. Makes a good first impression
angelinahx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
If a guy's not paying for the first date I'm not going on a second date with him. If he liked you he would a) care enough to impress you, b) want to take care of you (when a man likes a woman, his protective instinct kicks in. If he doesn't like you he won't care). After the first and second though, you can take turns.
Catherine1973
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
What if there is no man on the date? Or two men? Do they both refuse to pay?
Men and women should probably split payment on first date. Then alternate after that and during the dates.
randomsheep11
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by angelinahx)
If a guy's not paying for the first date I'm not going on a second date with him. If he liked you he would a) care enough to impress you, b) want to take care of you (when a man likes a woman, his protective instinct kicks in. If he doesn't like you he won't care). After the first and second though, you can take turns.
So gender equality and being just as capable and independent as men gets thrown out the window when it comes to getting free stuff? Hmmmm k
angelinahx
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by randomsheep11)
So gender equality and being just as capable and independent as men gets thrown out the window when it comes to getting free stuff? Hmmmm k
It's in a man's DNA to want to protect people they care about. A way to do that is to pay for the meal. If he doesn't care about you he won't care how you feel about it. I'm bi and I would always pay for the girl's drinks or dinner because I care about impressing her, so why would I not have the same expectations for myself?
username2861570
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I'm the type of person that would pay for the woman but I don't think it's a necessity for men to pay the bill. I mean, just split the bill. Sorted.
randomsheep11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Catherine1973)
Men and women should probably split payment on first date. Then alternate after that and during the dates.
That's what I think should happen. There's 2 types of women, ones who won't let a guy pay for her and ones who insist on a guy paying for her. A middle ground needs to be found and then become the norm.

I guess the nice thing about LGBT couples is that there's no preconceived notions regarding these sorts of things.
SCAREDYSTUDENT
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Catherine1973)
I think that you could have a split schedule
One week the man pays
The next week the woman pays
Or just split it as you say
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
No.
A lot of women seek equality and I feel as though they should reciprocate the same values themselves. I normally pay for what I eat, or go 50/50.
I feel like this is usually something that needs discussing beforehand though to get the awkwardness out of the way.
randomsheep11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
It's in a man's DNA to want to protect people they care about. A way to do that is to pay for the meal. If he doesn't care about you he won't care how you feel about it. I'm bi and I would always pay for the girl's drinks or dinner because I care about impressing her, so why would I not have the same expectations for myself?
So we're going to bring up the "it's in a guys instinct" argument when it comes to a guy paying for your food, but any argument that sounds like "women are naturally child carers, women are naturally weaker than men, women are naturally not gravitated to STEM subjects as much as men" is considered invalid and sexist?
bubblecat
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
i really don’t think you’ll specifically find “must pay the bill on dates with women” in a mans DNA.
bubblecat
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
i think paying the bill on a date is just a nice gesture. either of the two people on the date are able to make a nice gesture, regardless of gender.
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
No.

It's a nice gesture if both parties are okay with it, but it shouldn't be an expectation.
jc933
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
If a women expects me to pay on a first date and doesn't offer to pay half. She isn't getting a 2nd date.
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
call me old fashioned, but is a nice gesture even if its just the first few dates
NotNotBatman
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I think payments shouldn't be thought of in that way. It's the same with a friend if a bill comes up to £54, I'll say I've got £30 you've got 25 let's split it like that. Doesn't matter if my thing only costed £24 and we don't expect to be paid back. The way I do it is pay or pay an arbritary amount thats usually more than what my food costed. It's no big deal.
randomsheep11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
call me old fashioned, but is a nice gesture even if its just the first few dates
That's completely fine if you're a guy who wants to do that, but I don't think people should be expecting such niceness from you.
angelinahx
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by jc933)
If a women expects me to pay on a first date and doesn't offer to pay half. She isn't getting a 2nd date.
I always offer but I'm secretly hoping he'll say no and most of the time they end up doing so. Even guys who typically don't buy girls drinks have bought me drinks in the past because they felt they wanted to impress me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (149)
60.57%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.47%
No- I want it (69)
28.05%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.91%

Watched Threads