Kira0311
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hello,
I'm a final year history undergraduate and I'm considering teaching English abroad as a career, at least for the next few years but I'm worried about the fact that I'm not doing a relevant degree e.g. linguistics, TESOL, education. I've seen a fair few internships that don't necessarily require a relevant degree or sometimes a degree at all, but I worry that without a relevant background I might struggle with some of the more technical elements. I was hoping to hear from people who went into TEFL teaching who didn't have a relevant degree and how they found the training, and whether they feel it may have been worth it to have done some sort of postgraduate course or something in a relevant field?

Thanks!
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Kira0311)
Hello,
I'm a final year history undergraduate and I'm considering teaching English abroad as a career, at least for the next few years but I'm worried about the fact that I'm not doing a relevant degree e.g. linguistics, TESOL, education. I've seen a fair few internships that don't necessarily require a relevant degree or sometimes a degree at all, but I worry that without a relevant background I might struggle with some of the more technical elements. I was hoping to hear from people who went into TEFL teaching who didn't have a relevant degree and how they found the training, and whether they feel it may have been worth it to have done some sort of postgraduate course or something in a relevant field?

Thanks!
You can teach English abroad with a wide variety of degrees but you would have to do TEFL training first. I have friends who studied English, Dentistry and Pharmacy who all taught English abroad. This is one company that you can apply for roles for if you would like more information: https://www.englishfirst.com/esl-job...lish-overseas/
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I taught TEFL with a psych degree. look up the requirements in your preferred countries as some places will literally take anyone but a position say in UAE is super competitive.
Kira0311
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by doodle_333)
I taught TEFL with a psych degree. look up the requirements in your preferred countries as some places will literally take anyone but a position say in UAE is super competitive.
How did you find the experience of teaching without having a background in english language teaching? How challenging was it to learn the technical stuff about language features etc?
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Kira0311)
How did you find the experience of teaching without having a background in english language teaching? How challenging was it to learn the technical stuff about language features etc?
at first I felt a bit like a fish out of water, it's shocking how little I knew about my own language! But you pick it up fast. you'll always know when something is good or bad English because it will sound good/bad, you just need to take a little time at first before your class to make sure you get the grammar. the main thing is just to learn the uses of the tenses in a simple way.

pro tip... if you ever get stuck or confused blame in on American English
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (504)
59.72%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.09%
No- I want it (240)
28.44%
No- I don't want it (57)
6.75%

Watched Threads