The Student Room Group

Dental hygiene courses: Access or dental nursing to get in?

Hi everyone.

I've posted previously on this and have decided I will definitely try and get on to a DHT course. I'm thinking to apply for 2021 or 2022 intake. I went to University of Essex's open day and really enjoyed the oral health talk. Im quite excited now!

Given I have no experience in dental work apart from working as a receptionist in a practice about 3 years ago, I need to choose what to do. Most universities who offer the Bsc want A Level Biology or Access, I'm going with Access due to time constraints. But I was wondering if I should also do a Level 3 in Dental Nursing. I know it could strengthen my application, but given that I also need to re-do my Maths GCSE, I'm worried it will be all too much. And none of the entry requirements say I have to have both, I'm just worried because it seems most DHT students were dental nurses and I'd be at a disadvantage. Could you let me know what you think?
Reply 1
Bump
If it's not a formal requirement then presumably it isn't necessary. However do make sure you check what, if any, work experience requirements there are, and what they are looking for in your personal statement. Courses like this can be quite specific about the experience needed, and not uncommonly will look for strong engagement and understanding of both the course and associated profession in the personal statement.

Bear in mind the high proportion of dental hygiene students having been dental nurses may be due to self selection; those who aren't working in the industry may be less familiar with the profession (and may not even know of it as a distinct profession aside from dentistry or dental nursing) and hence may be less likely to apply in the first place. Dental nurses probably work with hygienists regularly and have a much better idea of what they do, which may lead to them realising they would rather be doing that! So, don't be too concerned with the demographics of the course, so to speak :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
If it's not a formal requirement then presumably it isn't necessary. However do make sure you check what, if any, work experience requirements there are, and what they are looking for in your personal statement. Courses like this can be quite specific about the experience needed, and not uncommonly will look for strong engagement and understanding of both the course and associated profession in the personal statement.

Bear in mind the high proportion of dental hygiene students having been dental nurses may be due to self selection; those who aren't working in the industry may be less familiar with the profession (and may not even know of it as a distinct profession aside from dentistry or dental nursing) and hence may be less likely to apply in the first place. Dental nurses probably work with hygienists regularly and have a much better idea of what they do, which may lead to them realising they would rather be doing that! So, don't be too concerned with the demographics of the course, so to speak :smile:

Thank you for your reply. The practice I worked at previously is happy to have me have work experience with them and their hygienist which is great. And I think I have a very good understanding of the profession, but I was worried because it seems like most students are dental nurses. But I think you're probably right, it's likely nurses are just applying at high rates. Hopefully!

Luckily at my current job (I'm a projects officer in the NHS) we're starting an oral health in children workstream, so I'm going to really involve myself in that as well which may give me an edge in my personal statement.

Quick Reply

Latest