This discussion is closed.
username4873044
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Which would you say is better for medicine and attracts more interest?
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by anonymous7861)
All medical schools in the UK are considered equal. Oxford has the higher competition ratio, Cambridge interviews more of its applicants
Last edited by GANFYD; 1 year ago
lhabgabdgbfa
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Cambridge have a harder offer too

(Original post by GANFYD)
All med ical schools inthe UK are considered equal. Oxford has the higher competition ratio, Cambridge interviews more of its applicants
lhabgabdgbfa
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
both unis are equally as good, both unis are globally respected and both unis are amongst the best in the world, along side Harvard, Stanford and met
username4873044
Rep:
?
i know theyre both top unis but I was just interested in peoples opinions of them both
lhabgabdgbfa
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i know theyre both top unis but I was just interested in peoples opinions of them both
id rather go Cambridge tbh
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you look at the "related discussions" at the bottom of this thread, you will see several other threads where this has been discussed too
Last edited by GANFYD; 1 year ago
username4873044
Rep:
?
(Original post by lhabgabdgbfa)
id rather go Cambridge tbh
how come?
lhabgabdgbfa
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
how come?
I visited both places and Cambridge seems quiet, an ideal working environment imo. Also, Cambridge is closer to were I live ( 35 minutes away). Other than that I think both unis are basically the same for men
username4873044
Rep:
?
(Original post by lhabgabdgbfa)
I visited both places and Cambridge seems quiet, an ideal working environment imo. Also, Cambridge is closer to were I live ( 35 minutes away). Other than that I think both unis are basically the same for men
yeah i would rather go to a quite, relaxed uni than one with crowds and constant noise
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There is one difference between the two courses... at Oxford you have to do a project on a subject that has not been proved before. My son (in third year at Oxford) loves research. He thought up an interesting project and it looks like he has evidence to prove his theory. Cambridge, on the other hand,does not offer this option.

Please find below a link to my book, "Oxford Demystified". My son describes the Oxford medicine course in detail, if you want to have a clearer idea how it works. I have also written a chapter about how he got in for medicine with the resources used, etc.

Good luck.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6100480
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I went to Cambridge for medicine.

I'd say Oxford is probably better. They have higher postgraduate examination pass rates, and higher satisfaction with their course. Oxford is also more competitive to get into.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yeah i would rather go to a quite, relaxed uni than one with crowds and constant noise
By the way, not all Oxford colleges are noisy and full of crowds. Colleges such as Oriel (beautiful, but off the main drag and does not allow tourists to look round), St Hildas, St Edmunds, St Peters, LMH, Pembroke etc are very quiet.

The only ones to really avoid re tourists are Exeter college (views from the mound make it popular) and Christchurch.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Chief Wiggum)
I went to Cambridge for medicine.

I'd say Oxford is probably better. They have higher postgraduate examination pass rates, and higher satisfaction with their course. Oxford is also more competitive to get into.
Thanks for that, Chief Wiggum, have not seen you round TSR for a while! The offers are higher for Cambridge (A*A*A as opposed to A*AA for Oxford), however there are twice as many places at Cambridge. My son was a bit worried about the A*A* A so went for Oxford. It's a good job, because his actual A2 grades were A*AA.
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Thanks for that, Chief Wiggum, have not seen you round TSR for a while! The offers are higher for Cambridge (A*A*A as opposed to A*AA for Oxford), however there are twice as many places at Cambridge. My son was a bit worried about the A*A* A so went for Oxford. It's a good job, because his actual A2 grades were A*AA.
Well, I was trying to be slightly controversial with my post there, I guess! haha

Despite me saying Oxford is better, I think for me Cambridge was the better choice. Hard to explain, but I preferred the "atmosphere" of Cambridge I think.

When I applied, I also felt the Cambridge application system was fairer, looking at the whole range of things in the application, including UMS scores at AS Level. Oxford was all about GCSE/BMAT in terms of giving out interviews, and I had the impression (rightly or wrongly) that Oxford placed more weighting on the interview than Cambridge.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Even though I seem more Oxford oriented, I think Cambridge is just as great as Oxford! And yes, the interview is very important. They use the bmat score to determine who goes forward to interview
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I mean, I guess the answer to that is student satisfaction rates? Which Oxford does much better in?

Lol.

Its definitely true that Cambridge appears less active than Oxford, but "constant noise" is pretty fanciful! If you think Oxford is noisy, what on earth do you think about Birmingham or Manchester, or London... Oxford is tiny in comparison!

Anyway - I'll paste my response too all these types of thread:

- Cities - I'd suggest visiting both. Oxford's a more active city.
- Accommodation - more available at Cambridge - though most students at both can get accommodation for the first 3 years at least.
- Size - Oxford med school is half the size. There is only 4-8 medics per year at each college (whereas at cambridge it can be up to 25 or so)
- Transfers - at Oxford some students can go to London after 3 years (essentially any university you choose). At Cambridge you're there for all 6.
- 3rd year options are more limited at Oxford, although doing something completely tangential at Cambridge (law, economics etc) to is no longer allowed under normal circumstances.
- Cambridge has more focus on anatomy, including dissection rather than prosection. Oxford focuses on other aspects of medicine instead.
- Oxford gets much higher student satisfaction
username4873044
Rep:
?
(Original post by nexttime)
I mean, I guess the answer to that is student satisfaction rates? Which Oxford does much better in?

Lol.

Its definitely true that Cambridge appears less active than Oxford, but "constant noise" is pretty fanciful! If you think Oxford is noisy, what on earth do you think about Birmingham or Manchester, or London... Oxford is tiny in comparison!

- Accommodation - more available at Cambridge - though most students at both can get accommodation for the first 3 years at least.
- Size - Oxford med school is half the size. There is only 4-8 medics per year at each college (whereas at cambridge it can be up to 25 or so)
- Transfers - at Oxford some students can go to London after 3 years (essentially any university you choose). At Cambridge you're there for all 6.
- 3rd year options are more limited at Oxford, although doing something completely tangential at Cambridge (law, economics etc) to is no longer allowed under normal circumstances.
- Cambridge has more focus on anatomy, including dissection rather than prosection. Oxford focuses on other aspects of medicine instead.
thanks 4 the more detailed response
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nexttime)

Lol.

You, Oxford Mum and Chief Wiggum need to put a post together where we can direct all these queries.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good idea, we could tell it like it is. Nexttime and chief wiggum have more direct experience than me, of course, but feel free to post my son’s medical chapter any time!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (66)
17.55%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (108)
28.72%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (142)
37.77%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
12.77%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (12)
3.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed