adviceisallineed
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I'm about to turn 18 soon and I seriously have no knowledge about UK politics. I don't want to vote without knowing. Can anyone tell me how I can learn more about UK politics please so that I am able to vote with my full understanding.
ElG.ONCALVES
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Google is your only option
Archetypally
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If it's general political information you are after, like how parliament functions, just look up 'Parliament simply explained' or something along those lines. There are masses of resources available to introduce yourself to politics, too many to list here.

As for voting, parties will release manifestos during elections which are publicly available. These outline policy, ambitions, etc. Of course, it's important to read with a critical eye, but it would certainly give you a better idea of what the party is standing for.

More generally it may help to understand where parties fall on a political spectrum. While resources like the manifesto change frequently depending on the party leadership's approach, it's a good foundation to understand what right and left-wing mean and what that, on an incredibly rudimentary basis, entails for their ideology.

If you aren't out to absorb information rapidly, just read the news. You'll pick useful pieces of political information simply by keeping up to date.

If you can't be bothered to do any of those, just take my totally, un-biased opinion and vote Conservative.
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
First of all, don't bother voting if it comes to election time and you genuinely know nothing.

Anyhoo resources:
-Googling can help you out with the gist of how the election actually works and how parliament functions
-Each party will have manifestos kicking about. Their websites will explain the gist of what they're 'currently' about. Best time to look is close to the elections cause that's when they release new manifestos with all the most recent promises n stuff in.
-Keeping up to date with the news is generally a brilliant way of absorbing information - smth like the BBC news app is great for quickly getting the gist of everything going down.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (226)
61.08%
No (77)
20.81%
Not sure (67)
18.11%

Watched Threads