kelly-grace
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi guys,

Im thinking about joining the raf reserves but would like to train to become a paramedic at university too.

If I got a degree in paramedic science, does anyone know what roles I may be able to go into in the RAF full time?

I have looked on the website but so confused.

Thank you xx
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by kelly-grace)
Hi guys,

Im thinking about joining the raf reserves but would like to train to become a paramedic at university too.

If I got a degree in paramedic science, does anyone know what roles I may be able to go into in the RAF full time?

Thank you xx
You are best going along to the FCO and asking them. I don't know what to forecast is for WSOp Crewman is, not what the medical options are.
RAF_Adam
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi guys,

Thank you xx
Hi

There's no paramedic role in the RAF, so if you're looking to be a paramedic in the armed forces then the RAF isn't a first option. The RAF Medic role is predominantly admin-based, not clinical. Although there can be opportunities, it's not what the main task of the role is.
However, there are many other roles. What are you finding confusing? All roles have their entry requirements listed, so you should be able to see what you need to be able to apply.

We advise everyone to apply for a role they really want to do as you could be doing it for a long time, so it needs to be right for you. Which roles have you looked at that interest you?

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by RAF_Adam)
Hi

There's no paramedic role in the RAF, so if you're looking to be a paramedic in the armed forces then the RAF isn't a first option. The RAF Medic role is predominantly admin-based, not clinical. Although there can be opportunities, it's not what the main task of the role is.
However, there are many other roles. What are you finding confusing? All roles have their entry requirements listed, so you should be able to see what you need to be able to apply.

We advise everyone to apply for a role they really want to do as you could be doing it for a long time, so it needs to be right for you. Which roles have you looked at that interest you?

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
What's the situation now with WSOp (Crewman)? They used to be at least partially paramedic trained, but I haven't kept up with the civilianisation of SAR etc. Obviously it's not a full paramedic role, but it's a similar 'urgent response' type setting.

Are combat medics only an Army thing?
kelly-grace
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by RAF_Adam)
Hi

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Hi Adam,

Thank you for your reply. I am looking to go into the RAF reserves into logistics at the moment while I study at university paramedic science.
I was thinking that if I enjoyed the RAF in general then maybe when I'm fully qualified there may be a medical kind of role that I would be eligible for long term as a regular.

So you would say I could go in as a medic perhaps?

Thank you,
Kelly
RAF_Adam
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
What's the situation now with WSOp (Crewman)? They used to be at least partially paramedic trained, but I haven't kept up with the civilianisation of SAR etc. Obviously it's not a full paramedic role, but it's a similar 'urgent response' type setting.

Hi

We don't have combat medics. I think that is primarily an Army role. The medic role in the RAF can have paramedic training, but not everyone may get it as the opportunities are few and it will depend on the role you do. If operationally deployed you would be more likely to have that as part of the role, but it's not the primary focus of the trade.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
RAF_Adam
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi Adam,

Thank you for your reply. I am looking to go into the RAF reserves into logistics at the moment while I study at university paramedic science.
I was thinking that if I enjoyed the RAF in general then maybe when I'm fully qualified there may be a medical kind of role that I would be eligible for long term as a regular.

So you would say I could go in as a medic perhaps?

Thank you,
Kelly
Hi Kelly

That decision is up to you. If you're looking for a role that is paramedic based then it might be useful, but that's not the primary role of the trade, it's an admin-based role, so it may not be what you're looking for alongside your degree.

The decision of which role you choose is entirely up to you. If you speak to your local Reserve Sqn then can advise you on the roles they have there and what your options are. Only certain roles may be available on certain sqns. If you call the Reserves line on 0345 606 9069 the team can give you the contact details of the local one to you and they can talk you through everything in detail.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
BeardedLoadie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)

Sounds very different to the role now. WSOp crewman on the fixed wing fleet do not undertake any of those sort of responsibilities. The rotary wing loadies don't either, but they may work as part of the MERT team, which deal with casualty evacs on the frontline. In teams of SAR in the UK, that's been disbanded as of 2016 I believe it was.

Still...bloody great job though!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (359)
59.05%
Yes- I don't like it (33)
5.43%
No- I want it (172)
28.29%
No- I don't want it (44)
7.24%

Watched Threads