The Student Room Group

laser eye surgery?

i have a strong but not outrageous prescription (short sighted 4.5 and astigmatism 1.5) so i wear glasses all the time. they're not a pain and i quite like them but life would definitely be better without them

my prescription is stabilising, so assuming it stops changing soon, i could get surgery for ~£2k and never have to buy glasses again. i spend about £50-100 a year on glasses so that could be twice the cost of the surgery over my life time. on the other hand, i might develop long sightenedness when i get older which is common

my dad has really awful eyesight (-17) but he said his eyesight was really bad even at my age so i've probably not inherited that part

any insights?
Original post by HoldThisL
i have a strong but not outrageous prescription (short sighted 4.5 and astigmatism 1.5) so i wear glasses all the time. they're not a pain and i quite like them but life would definitely be better without them

my prescription is stabilising, so assuming it stops changing soon, i could get surgery for ~£2k and never have to buy glasses again. i spend about £50-100 a year on glasses so that could be twice the cost of the surgery over my life time. on the other hand, i might develop long sightenedness when i get older which is common

my dad has really awful eyesight (-17) but he said his eyesight was really bad even at my age so i've probably not inherited that part

any insights?

If your prescription is stabilising, soon you won't need to buy new glasses so often as you can keep on using the same pair if they are still wearable. Whether you want to go for laser surgery is up to you, but I would recommend you do a lot of research into it before you get it done. Be aware of the risks and the costs - whilst not everyone will have problems, there are a few instances where some do. You could also consider contact lenses if you are not a fan of wearing glasses.
Reply 2
Original post by cheesecakelove
If your prescription is stabilising, soon you won't need to buy new glasses so often as you can keep on using the same pair if they are still wearable. Whether you want to go for laser surgery is up to you, but I would recommend you do a lot of research into it before you get it done. Be aware of the risks and the costs - whilst not everyone will have problems, there are a few instances where some do. You could also consider contact lenses if you are not a fan of wearing glasses.

i'd like to be the type of person to wear the same pair of glasses for a longer but i like changing them the same way people change phones. and after a while they tend to be a bit worn out; i've just realised that closing the case on my last pair of glasses caused them to bend slightly over time

would i even qualify for contacts? the lens might be too thick. anyway they're quite a lot more expensive

thanks
i'd like to be the type of person to wear the same pair of glasses for a longer but i like changing them the same way people change phones. and after a while they tend to be a bit worn out; i've just realised that closing the case on my last pair of glasses caused them to bend slightly over time

would i even qualify for contacts? the lens might be too thick. anyway they're quite a lot more expensive

thanks

In terms of contact lenses, it is worth talking to your optician. Some offer a free trial and or a special offer which could be something to look into if you are interested in it. (I had a free trial from Specsavers - wasn't for me in the end!)
Reply 5
There are many complications even if the surgery is considered successful there are high risks of dry eyes, night vision problems or even reading problems.

Personally I prefer sticking with glasses and contacts, especially if you are ok with it.
I hate glasses and I won't do the surgery, I'm at a high risk for complications though. If the doctor says you are at the lowest risk, maybe it worth it.

any insights?

As I understand it, laser eye surgery does not guarantee that the correction will be perfect, i.e. you may still need glasses, just not as strong a prescription.
Reply 7
Original post by RogerOxon
As I understand it, laser eye surgery does not guarantee that the correction will be perfect, i.e. you may still need glasses, just not as strong a prescription.

you may although i think the vast majority do fully correction vision https://www.allaboutvision.com/visionsurgery/outcomes.htm
Reply 8

thanks

You know they don't need to be kept in a case at all times right?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Bio 7
You know they don't need to be kept in a case at all times right?

yeah of course, and now i don't

Quick Reply

Latest