The Student Room Group

Feeling really isolated

So I moved in 3 days ago and the last person in my flat moved in yesterday. I’m making an effort sitting in the kitchen a lot trying to talk to people. I’m quite socially awkward so most the time I just sit on the outside of the conversation, I went out with them on the first night and planned to go out with them last night. Partying isn’t really my thing but I was going to go to make an effort to be social. About 30 minutes before we left my friend from home phoned so I went to my room to take the call and they all left without me. I tried to catch up but the party was full and I couldn’t get in. I feel like they didn’t want me there as they left without me and I’m just feeling really isolated this morning, I don’t want to leave my room. Any advice?
Reply 1
30 minutes is quite a long phone call, maybe they'd been sitting waiting for you, might have said 'we'll wait 10 more minutes and then head off'. They might have thought you didn't want to go out with them because you stayed on the phone for so long when you should have been going to the party. Simple solution, just apologise for keeping them waiting, let them know why you were sol long on the phone and tell them you tried to catch them up but couldn't get in. They'll know you hadn't meant to miss the party and then all will be good for next time. Best to be open about these things otherwise the misunderstandings just get bigger and more awkward.
I advise you to study hard in university, then you may not feel lonely. What do you major in?
Are you boy or girl? Which year of university?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
So I moved in 3 days ago and the last person in my flat moved in yesterday. I’m making an effort sitting in the kitchen a lot trying to talk to people. I’m quite socially awkward so most the time I just sit on the outside of the conversation, I went out with them on the first night and planned to go out with them last night. Partying isn’t really my thing but I was going to go to make an effort to be social. About 30 minutes before we left my friend from home phoned so I went to my room to take the call and they all left without me. I tried to catch up but the party was full and I couldn’t get in. I feel like they didn’t want me there as they left without me and I’m just feeling really isolated this morning, I don’t want to leave my room. Any advice?

I agree with cam777 they might not have felt comfortable interrupting your phone call or thought you were ducking out.Just get out there and stick a smile on your face and say you were sorry you missed them.It is very early days so no one will have really worked out who they like or dislike yet.All to play for and assume the best not the worst.Goodluck!
Reply 4
Original post by cam777
30 minutes is quite a long phone call, maybe they'd been sitting waiting for you, might have said 'we'll wait 10 more minutes and then head off'. They might have thought you didn't want to go out with them because you stayed on the phone for so long when you should have been going to the party. Simple solution, just apologise for keeping them waiting, let them know why you were sol long on the phone and tell them you tried to catch them up but couldn't get in. They'll know you hadn't meant to miss the party and then all will be good for next time. Best to be open about these things otherwise the misunderstandings just get bigger and more awkward.

Ah I never thought of it like that as they’re all outgoing people and I’m a bit more shy. I’ll apologise when they all wake up. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest