Seeing a doctor about anxiety.. Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi,

I've been afflicted with anxiety for as long as I can remember. I don't know, but somehow I've managed to publicly keep a handle on things in my professional and personal life (my wife is aware) but the last year has seen it increase exponentially I feel specifically relating to anxiety when I drive.

This incorporates my lack of knowledge relating to cars in general compared to my male contemporaries (family, cousins, friends) and long story short, I've struggled to understand certain aspects of it - yes I've passed - and this has led to get anxious about those areas.

I've had anxiety filled moments, where I've ended up losing my composure (mainly at myself, swearing, getting irritated and the physical symptoms that can occur) and I've thought about making an appointment with a Dr.

But what would they advise? CBT or medication? I've had the former previously and wouldn't be keen on medication but sometimes I feel may be I've got no choice but to try it?

There's a mental health support service where I work but there's potential to see someone I may know, not sure whether what I need is simply talking or further in-depth support via my GP.

Advice appreciated.
Anonymous #2
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,

I've been afflicted with anxiety for as long as I can remember. I don't know, but somehow I've managed to publicly keep a handle on things in my professional and personal life (my wife is aware) but the last year has seen it increase exponentially I feel specifically relating to anxiety when I drive.

This incorporates my lack of knowledge relating to cars in general compared to my male contemporaries (family, cousins, friends) and long story short, I've struggled to understand certain aspects of it - yes I've passed - and this has led to get anxious about those areas.

I've had anxiety filled moments, where I've ended up losing my composure (mainly at myself, swearing, getting irritated and the physical symptoms that can occur) and I've thought about making an appointment with a Dr.

But what would they advise? CBT or medication? I've had the former previously and wouldn't be keen on medication but sometimes I feel may be I've got no choice but to try it?

There's a mental health support service where I work but there's potential to see someone I may know, not sure whether what I need is simply talking or further in-depth support via my GP.

Advice appreciated.
Maybe try to extend your knowledge on cars? Maybe seeing someone about the anxiety could help it depends, different options work for different people but try different things for example the medication or going to see someone about it
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Quite a few people get anxiety from driving or parts of cars. Can you find a knowledgeable instructor or acquaintance to take you out for a few rides and talk you through what's happening or talking you through bits of the car?

Try the mental health support service at work. Worrying about seeing someone you know is a very very common worry when seeking treatment.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi,

Just to touch on the responses received, for which I'm thankful for.

I've tried to use the world-wide-web, and books that can help understand things in a basic way but it's not going through (maybe it's because I'm just thick!). I find after driving I'm wiping sweat off my face and that's a symptom of anxiety, but it's whether a Dr prescribing anything would necessarily help with that or the underyling symptoms that occur.

I did take some refresher lessons with an instructor (who was decent but not specific in helping to deal with anxiety drivers) and I've thought about refreshing with an instructor however it might be difficult to find someone helpful to someone with driving anxiety.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (227)
67.76%
No (108)
32.24%

Watched Threads