The Student Room Group

Is it too late to start a PGCE in physics this year?

Is it too late to start a PGCE in physics for September 2019?

There was also something else I wanted to ask...

A few months ago I signed up with some teaching agencies in Manchester and they were able to offer me temp teaching jobs. One of the roles was to actually teach a GCSE maths class, even though I have no teaching experience. Is this a common thing? I declined the job as I have never taught a class before.

If I can't get onto a PGCE now what should I do for the time being? Is it a good idea to work as a supply teacher through agencies?

I have a BSc and an MSc in physics and AABB at a-levels in maths, physics, English lit and chemistry.

Thanks
I think 2019 entry is either closed now or mostly closed.

I think being a supply teacher is a great choice. Usually for temp stuff or supply teaching you don't need a teaching qualification. Go for it. It will be great on your application.
Original post by Rossagle
I think 2019 entry is either closed now or mostly closed.

I think being a supply teacher is a great choice. Usually for temp stuff or supply teaching you don't need a teaching qualification. Go for it. It will be great on your application.

Do you think it would be a good idea though, since I have no teaching experience?

I imagine it is daunting to be put in front of a GCSE class and try to teach them when I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm realistic about it as I don't expect another teacher to be on hand to support, given the workload teachers are under.

Thanks
Original post by toploader112
Is it too late to start a PGCE in physics for September 2019?

There was also something else I wanted to ask...

A few months ago I signed up with some teaching agencies in Manchester and they were able to offer me temp teaching jobs. One of the roles was to actually teach a GCSE maths class, even though I have no teaching experience. Is this a common thing? I declined the job as I have never taught a class before.

If I can't get onto a PGCE now what should I do for the time being? Is it a good idea to work as a supply teacher through agencies?

I have a BSc and an MSc in physics and AABB at a-levels in maths, physics, English lit and chemistry.

Thanks

I think you'd struggle to find a place on a PGCE course now- You'd struggle to get your DBS and your QTS tests done in time, for starters.

There is a massive shortage of maths teachers in this country (and other subjects)- some schools are really struggling to get a warm body in front of a class.

If I'm reading this right, you've just come out of uni? If so, I wouldn't go straight into school doing supply. Personally, I'd get some none teaching work experience. This will give you experience out of the classroom to bring to your PGCE, and it will also help you decide if teaching is really for you.

If you really want to work in a school, I'd suggest being a teaching assistant initially, rather than working as a cover teacher.
Cover supervisor rater than cover teacher. Expectations are that you take register and ensure students compete set work. It's daunting but if you can handle yourself in pressurised situations, you have nothing to lose by giving it a go. Though, teaching assistant is a much better role.
Original post by toploader121
Do you think it would be a good idea though, since I have no teaching experience?

I imagine it is daunting to be put in front of a GCSE class and try to teach them when I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm realistic about it as I don't expect another teacher to be on hand to support, given the workload teachers are under.

Thanks

We all have to start somewhere. For some applications you might have to have had at least observations in a school to make sure you know it's what you want to do. But you don't always need that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending