What makes gay people not attracted to the opposite sex? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Seeing as genetically determined attraction to the opposite sex underpins so much of biology and evolution, homosexuality is a very interesting and counterintuitive scientific phenomenon.

But I'm not so confused about attraction to the same sex, after all I don't think there's anything programmed within us to actively stop this; rather I'm more curious about how one is not attracted to the opposite sex. Does anyone know the scientific reason for this or is a still a mystery? Is it genetic (like a different balance of hormones) or environmental? It's hard to understand when you consider that the main aim of the entire DNA system is to get you to reproduce.

I understand this is not really 'relationships' as much as 'science' but I wanted to post anon because I know a lot of people will take this the wrong way.
shelly100
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Seeing as genetically determined attraction to the opposite sex underpins so much of biology and evolution, homosexuality is a very interesting and counterintuitive scientific phenomenon.

But I'm not so confused about attraction to the same sex, after all I don't think there's anything programmed within us to actively stop this; rather I'm more curious about how one is not attracted to the opposite sex. Does anyone know the scientific reason for this or is a still a mystery? Is it genetic (like a different balance of hormones) or environmental? It's hard to understand when you consider that the main aim of the entire DNA system is to get you to reproduce.

I understand this is not really 'relationships' as much as 'science' but I wanted to post anon because I know a lot of people will take this the wrong way.
Why do straight people not find the same sex attractive, how do you know you are straight if you've never been with the same sex
Anonymous #1
(Original post by shelly100)
Why do straight people not find the same sex attractive, how do you know you are straight if you've never been with the same sex
Sensible replies only please.
AngryRedhead
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Our sexual orientation; can you choose to be attracted to the opposite sex?
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That was positing a similar idea, don't start a discussion if you want to say people are posting stupid replies when they don't.

I'm curious as to why a larger precentage of the population isn't bisexual.
Last edited by Bio 7; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Bio 7)
That was positing a similar idea, don't start a discussion if you want to say people are posting stupid replies when they don't.
"How do you know you are straight if you've never been with the same sex" is sensible to you?

(Original post by AngryRedhead)
Our sexual orientation; can you choose to be attracted to the opposite sex?
I don't think it's a choice? What I'm asking is what biologically is different to make someone not attracted to the same sex? Has there been any successful research into this?
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
"How do you know you are straight if you've never been with the same sex" is sensible to you?

I don't think it's a choice? What I'm asking is what biologically is different to make someone not attracted to the same sex? Has there been any successful research into this?
Google scholar is your friend; this type of thread has been done to death on here and everyone's sick of it
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Could be that people have strong preferences but trying to be with the opposite sex might make them interested. It would be interesting for more people that ID as straight to try same-sex experiences to experiment.
Anonymous #1
Google scholar is your friend; this type of thread has been done to death on here and everyone's sick of it
Has it? Well I never saw any threads asking the same question so sorry about that. I think it's an extremely interesting question though.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Bio 7)
Could be that people have strong preferences but trying to be with the opposite sex might make them interested. It would be interesting for more people that ID as straight to try same-sex experiences to experiment.
Idk, I think those who are born straight are strongly attracted to the opposite sex even without 'trying'. This is determined by genetics. What's not clear is what's different in the genetics of gay people (assuming homosexuality is completely innate). I guess one first needs to understand precisely how genetics drive sexual attraction.
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Has it? Well I never saw any threads asking the same question so sorry about that. I think it's an extremely interesting question though.
We get loads of threads on here questioning if gay people are really gay biologically and the threads always devolve into rabid homophobia and nonsense getting banded around so asking on here is pointless; go and look at pubmed studies if you really want to know and aren't just trying to stir up homophobia
Anonymous #1
We get loads of threads on here questioning if gay people are really gay biologically and the threads always devolve into rabid homophobia and nonsense getting banded around so asking on here is pointless; go and look at pubmed studies if you really want to know and aren't just trying to stir up homophobia
There are a lot of intelligent and rational people on here though so I thought I could get an insightful take. That last suggestion is a bit insulting though, considering I never said anything even remotely homophobic. In fact the controversy around the topic is just unfortunate, considering the question itself is so intriguing. Probably we'd have a better answer if it wasn't such a touchy topic.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Early exposure to Kylie.
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There are a lot of intelligent and rational people on here though so I thought I could get an insightful take. That last suggestion is a bit insulting though, considering I never said anything even remotely homophobic. In fact the controversy around the topic is just unfortunate, considering the question itself is so intriguing. Probably we'd have a better answer if it wasn't such a touchy topic.
These types of threads always get deleted for violating TSR guidelines because TSR is full of people who hate gay people. Considering this is neither a scientific nor a research paper website it is a poor place to look for evidence or studies in any case
Anonymous #1
These types of threads always get deleted for violating TSR guidelines because TSR is full of people who hate gay people. Considering this is neither a scientific nor a research paper website it is a poor place to look for evidence or studies in any case
'Full of' is an overstatement - the vast majority of people here seem very accepting. I mean someone in this thread almost tried to argue that "How do you know you are straight if you've never been with the same sex?" is a reasonable question purely to disagree with me. I understand that there are some trolls but I wanted to start a discussion with rational members of the site. Perhaps people here don't like debates surrounded by controversy which is fine. It's certainly sensible to steer clear of controversial topics. I just wanted to hear suggestions from the more knowledgeable amongst us but never mind, hopefully something concrete will come to light in the future.
Glaz
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That is a sensible reply. You asked what makes gay people not attracted to the opposite sex, and they asked what makes straight people not attracted to the same sex. They're using your dumbass argument against you
Last edited by StrawberryDreams; 3 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Glaz)
That is a sensible reply. You asked what makes gay people not attracted to the opposite sex, and they asked what makes straight people not attracted to the same sex. They're using your dumbass argument against you
When did I make a "dumbass argument"? What point did I make that you disagree with? As I expected, you've just glanced at my post and instantly branded it as homophobia for no good reason.

Just to confirm, you're calling "how do you know you are straight if you've never been with the same sex" sensible?
Anonymous #1
All I've done is raised a question here. If anyone wants to make points or disagree with anything I said please be clear and respectful.
mobvair
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm sure you'll find far better answers if you look into scientific articles on the matter. There are no knowledgeable people here who can help you.
Glaz
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When did I make a "dumbass argument"? What point did I make that you disagree with? As I expected, you've just glanced at my post and instantly branded it as homophobia for no good reason.

Just to confirm, you're calling "how do you know you are straight if you've never been with the same sex" sensible?
I'm calling it sensible because you are making the EXACT same argument
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.55%
No (211)
76.45%

Watched Threads