The Student Room Group

Computer Science at Cambridge help

Hi, i don't know whether i should even apply to Cambridge. I would like to study there. I put my name down when the teacher asked who is planning on applying to Oxbridge. However, I did A level maths in one year, and got a B unfortunately. My school allowed me to retake with further maths as i can do better,so i will take maths and further maths at the end of year 13 along with physics and computer science.
should i still apply?
you're relatively unlikely I think to get a place with a B unless you did very very well in the CTMUA and interview, and had extenuating circumstances for getting the B first time round

if you still want to apply you can as you have 5 choices but be aware it's unlikely - consider applying post A levels in a gap year if you do very well in both maths and further maths (A* in both)

if you want more official advice there if currently a thread being run by admissions tutors in the Cambridge forum
Original post by RhynieChert
you're relatively unlikely I think to get a place with a B unless you did very very well in the CTMUA and interview, and had extenuating circumstances for getting the B first time round

if you still want to apply you can as you have 5 choices but be aware it's unlikely - consider applying post A levels in a gap year if you do very well in both maths and further maths (A* in both)

if you want more official advice there if currently a thread being run by admissions tutors in the Cambridge forum

thanks i think i'll also talk with my teacher about this aswell, i guess it's worth a try tho
Original post by ninja_uchiha
Hi, i don't know whether i should even apply to Cambridge. I would like to study there. I put my name down when the teacher asked who is planning on applying to Oxbridge. However, I did A level maths in one year, and got a B unfortunately. My school allowed me to retake with further maths as i can do better,so i will take maths and further maths at the end of year 13 along with physics and computer science.
should i still apply?

Unfortunately I think you are unlikely to get an interview (which is the first step towards getting in) this year with a B in A-level Maths unless your application is very strong in other areas or you have extenuating circumstances. The introduction of the CTMUA makes it a bit more likely if you do really well there though, and the only way you can be sure of not getting in is not applying.
Original post by sweeneyrod
Unfortunately I think you are unlikely to get an interview (which is the first step towards getting in) this year with a B in A-level Maths unless your application is very strong in other areas or you have extenuating circumstances. The introduction of the CTMUA makes it a bit more likely if you do really well there though, and the only way you can be sure of not getting in is not applying.

i agree, i think i'm gonna apply, might aswell take the chance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending