The Student Room Group

How do I turn my life around

I've got less than 10 months to sort out my A Levels.

For the past year I've consistently got 30% or lower in my exams/homework, more frequently in essays but still in concept tests.

I honestly, even though my school is high up on league tables, don't think I'm going to pass my A Levels and honestly I'm so tired of having to fail over and over again without ever improving.

How can I fix this.
Reply 1
To start with, you need to buckle down and hard. You need to do work when you get it and put effort into it. You get out only what you put in, and if you know you're not putting enough effort in then get cracking ASAP. Stop seeing homework as a chore and see it as something to use to get better. The effort is key to anything, especially exams.
Start setting yourself tasks to do - start small with things such as 20 mins revision of 1 subject a day - before building up to more. It may sound stupid but you can only go up from an average of 30%.
You sound a very capable student and the good thing is you've got 10 months and the mindset of wanting change.
Go to your subject teachers and ask for help as they will almost 100% want you to do well and want to help you get better (and seeing as your school is high in the league tables they will want to keep their results high.)
Use every bit of help offered and utilise resources
Practice papers are incredible as are bite-size and revision guides.
The main thing, however, is you. You need to work hard. You need to make up for a year's worth of bad marks.
Having the confidence to say I can change is important, yes, but sheer confidence isn't gonna sit those exams for you.
Pull yourself together and just get on it.
Input all relevant notes into Anki (free flashcard program - google it), use it daily and in 10 months you will know your courses inside out. Combine that with exam practice / learning exam technique and you can pass no worries.

Quick Reply

Latest