I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't enjoy university Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm about to start second year on Monday and I'm not really looking forward to it. I absolutely love my course and the academic side of things but everything else is just...meh.

Honestly, I feel like I've just been hit by bad luck after bad luck since starting first year. Last year, I only had two flatmates when there were supposed to be between 8-10 and none of us got on. All the societies I joined were hardly active and my course is very cliquey. I also signed up to two weekly volunteering activities in hope that I could possibly make friends there but that didn't work. I do have a couple of friends that I speak to in classes and sometimes outside of class but apart from that I spend most of the time on my own. I've never really had a big problem making friends before this so it sucks that I've struggled so much.

Before coming to university, everyone told me that it would be the best 3 years of my life and that I'd love it so much but that really hasn't been the case. It was so embarrassing meeting up with my friends from home this summer and listening to them tell me all the fun things they'd been up to at uni when I had absolutely nothing to say back to them.

At this point, I'm just excited to graduate. I really thought uni was going to be this amazing experience where I'd make loads of friends but I guess not.

I don't really know what I'm asking I guess I just needed to vent haha.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm about to start second year on Monday and I'm not really looking forward to it. I absolutely love my course and the academic side of things but everything else is just...meh.

Honestly, I feel like I've just been hit by bad luck after bad luck since starting first year. Last year, I only had two flatmates when there were supposed to be between 8-10 and none of us got on. All the societies I joined were hardly active and my course is very cliquey. I also signed up to two weekly volunteering activities in hope that I could possibly make friends there but that didn't work. I do have a couple of friends that I speak to in classes and sometimes outside of class but apart from that I spend most of the time on my own. I've never really had a big problem making friends before this so it sucks that I've struggled so much.

Before coming to university, everyone told me that it would be the best 3 years of my life and that I'd love it so much but that really hasn't been the case. It was so embarrassing meeting up with my friends from home this summer and listening to them tell me all the fun things they'd been up to at uni when I had absolutely nothing to say back to them.

At this point, I'm just excited to graduate. I really thought uni was going to be this amazing experience where I'd make loads of friends but I guess not.

I don't really know what I'm asking I guess I just needed to vent haha.
You have to go again although its a bit harder in year 2. Meet new people do new things and stick with it. Some unis are more social than others. You say you like your course and that means a good degree is more likely. Plenty of people dont have even that. You can join societies in other unis i.e poly or uni plus ones in the town/ city. Improve social skills and keep trying. Its what you make it. Sometimes you just have to try harder. If its not happening and you did your best then you know you tried.

People often ignore the social aspects of a uni, they arent all the same.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I feel the same, i think many people do tbh they are just too embarrassed to admit it to their social circle and consequently just go with the flow when they dont really want to
steamed-hams
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
'Before coming to university, everyone told me that it would be the best 3 years of my life and that I'd love it so much but that really hasn't been the case. '

that's because it isn't the case anymore
wonderland.16
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is one of the stereotypes about uni that I dislike- there are people who don't have the "time of their life" whilst at uni. I didn't like the social side of my first year either. I'm at a rural uni where a lot of people commute, societies are nearly all sport based- and very limited at that. I lived with people who disrespected living with people who were less social than them and put my health at risk (I won't go into it, but it wasn't good). My point is, it's not just you, so please don't feel alone. I hated comparing my experience to that of others too. Thankfully I moved off campus and met a new friend in second year which made me enjoy uni much more. Definitely put yourself out there this time too- there will be people who are similar to you/who you'd get on with! One of my closest friends was actually the year above me, so we rarely hung out but we got on- is there any way you could connect with people on your course/other courses in the year above/below? The biggest change for me, aside from different friends, was stopping comparing my experience to those around me. That helped my mental health so much. Let me know if I can *try* to help further or if you just want to talk.
bioenthusiast
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey,
I'm in a similar situation to you. Going into my second year but the social side of uni has not been good for me so far.
I can't stand another year of being lonely but how on earth can a second year student make friends? I feel like even joining societies will be hard as everyone already has friends there.
commentsection
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bioenthusiast)
Hey,
I'm in a similar situation to you. Going into my second year but the social side of uni has not been good for me so far.
I can't stand another year of being lonely but how on earth can a second year student make friends? I feel like even joining societies will be hard as everyone already has friends there.
I'm the same with literally what everyone else mentioned (hence my previous threads) I started second year last week and I feel physically and emotionally alone.
I believe most friendships have been formed and won't be open to new people? I'm trying everyday, trying to fit myself in social gatherings, making the first move with course-mates, joining societies that I'll never see see myself in. For example: Islamic society.
I'm so lonely, and it's so depressing really. Like the OP said, I'm looking forward to graduating so I can just life the rest of my life properly and healthy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

what's your favourite season?

Summer (62)
32.29%
Spring (36)
18.75%
Autumn/Fall (48)
25%
Winter (36)