sixthyearstudent
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, this is my first post and I'm not exactly sure if this is the right place to ask but thought I might get the most relevant advice. Unfortunately I missed a lot of school during third and fourth year resulting in me missing out on all of my National 5 exams apart from English. In fifth year I sat 3 National 5's and Higher English, I am now in sixth year and wondering what the best route would be for me to take to get into university. I know that I will have to go to college after sixth year to get the remaining highers that i need. I am wondering if it may be more beneficial to me to sit an HNC or something similar and how this may affect my chances of getting into university.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
centraltrains
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
aww i thought this as going to be about commuting lol, sorry I can't help but good luck and free bump!!
sixthyearstudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by centraltrains)
aww i thought this as going to be about commuting lol, sorry I can't help but good luck and free bump!!
aw aha, that's okay thanks though
turtle.8
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What do you want to study at uni? You can try and apply for uni this year for 2020 entry, you may get conditional offers if you are sitting enough highers in the relevant subjects in S6, so you may not need to go to college to sit more highers. If you don't get into uni with conditional offers I would recommend doing an HNC, I would imagine sitting more highers in college wouldn't be much fun. Most HNCs will allow you to progress into year 1/2 of a university course, depending on what you are studying hope this helps!
Last edited by turtle.8; 4 weeks ago
turtle.8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Most uni courses only require 4 highers, so if you already have higher english you can sit the remaining 3 in the national 5 subjects you took.
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by sixthyearstudent)
Hi, this is my first post and I'm not exactly sure if this is the right place to ask but thought I might get the most relevant advice. Unfortunately I missed a lot of school during third and fourth year resulting in me missing out on all of my National 5 exams apart from English. In fifth year I sat 3 National 5's and Higher English, I am now in sixth year and wondering what the best route would be for me to take to get into university. I know that I will have to go to college after sixth year to get the remaining highers that i need. I am wondering if it may be more beneficial to me to sit an HNC or something similar and how this may affect my chances of getting into university.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
What are you doing this year? What would you like to study? As turtle has suggested, you may get enough highers this year to be able to start uni next year
sixthyearstudent
Rep:
?
Thanks for the replies, I would like to study Pharmacy/Pharmacology. Last year I sat N5 Biology, History and Maths. Unfortunately I failed my Maths exam so I am retaking it this year. I got an A in Biology which I am now taking at Higher. I have now taken N5 Chemistry which unfortunately I couldn't take before. I had originally planned to sit Higher History which I have now dropped to take an online OU course about medicine and drugs in relation to Chemistry.

So hopefully by the end of this year I will have, Higher English and Biology, the OU course which is either equivalent to a Higher or Adv Higher (unsure), and National 5 Maths, Chemistry and History. I am unsure if I will be able to get onto a college course with only N5 Maths and Chemistry.

Hope that makes sense
turtle.8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As your only doing 3 highers (including the OU course) I think college is best for you here. If you really want to do pharmacy/pharmacology I would research some colleges that have science courses that you like, that will allow you to progress onto pharmacy at uni. I'm not sure if only having N5 chemistry/maths will hinder you as for a lot of science HNCs you need higher chemistry, but the OU course you are doing might meet their requirements anyway. I would try emailing some colleges and asking some questions about their entry requirements and explaining your situation. Alternatively, you could crash higher chemistry this year, or take it in college next year and apply for uni then. It's up to you really, hope this has helped!

(Original post by sixthyearstudent)
Thanks for the replies, I would like to study Pharmacy/Pharmacology. Last year I sat N5 Biology, History and Maths. Unfortunately I failed my Maths exam so I am retaking it this year. I got an A in Biology which I am now taking at Higher. I have now taken N5 Chemistry which unfortunately I couldn't take before. I had originally planned to sit Higher History which I have now dropped to take an online OU course about medicine and drugs in relation to Chemistry.

So hopefully by the end of this year I will have, Higher English and Biology, the OU course which is either equivalent to a Higher or Adv Higher (unsure), and National 5 Maths, Chemistry and History. I am unsure if I will be able to get onto a college course with only N5 Maths and Chemistry.

Hope that makes sense
Last edited by turtle.8; 3 weeks ago
sixthyearstudent
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by turtle.8)
As your only doing 3 highers (including the OU course) I think college is best for you here. If you really want to do pharmacy/pharmacology I would research some colleges that have science courses that you like, that will allow you to progress onto pharmacy at uni. I'm not sure if only having N5 chemistry/maths will hinder you as for a lot of science HNCs you need higher chemistry, but the OU course you are doing might meet their requirements anyway. I would try emailing some colleges and asking some questions about their entry requirements and explaining your situation. Alternatively, you could crash higher chemistry this year, or take it in college next year and apply for uni then. It's up to you really, hope this has helped!
Yes thank you, it has.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (129)
18.14%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.29%
Not great so far... (254)
35.72%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.85%

Watched Threads