B1517 – Reform of the Gender Recognition Act (2004) Watch

This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
B1517: Reform of the Gender Recognition Act (2004), TSR Government

BXXXX: Reform of the Gender Recognition Act (2004)

In conjunction with the Department for Education, her majesty's government will be amending the Gender Recognition Act (2004) with the following changes...

Amendments to Gender Recognition Act (2004)
  • Application subsection 1: A person of either gender who is aged at least 18 may make an application for a gender recognition certificate - to be reduced to 16 years.
  • Determination of applications subsection 1a: has lived in the acquired gender throughout the period of two years ending with the date on which the application is made - to be changed to 1.5 years for under 18s, and 6 months for over 18s.
  • Under marriage, a spouse will no longer have to consent for the marriage to continue for an applicant to be approved for a full GRC. Instead, they will have to go through divorce proceedings if they do not wish to continue the marriage.
  • Bill to include protections - those in ownership of a GRC should be sent to prisons that align with their recognised gender, where appropriate. Those on ownership of a GRC should be entitled to use shelters for their recognised gender.
  • GRCs to be extended to cover non-binary identities. Document will now include 'X' as well as 'M' or 'F'.
  • Cost to be reduced from £140 to £70, which can be made payable through installments.

Exemptions
  • To be sent to a prison that aligns with their recognised gender, an individual will have to have been in receipt of a GRC before sentencing, or they will have had to have lived as their acquired gender for at least a year, and not have committed violent crimes against the gender they identify as.

4. Extent

This amendments to this act Act extend to -
(a) England and Wales
(b) Scotland, and
(c) Northern Ireland

5. Commencement

The provisions of this Act come into force on January 1st 2020.

6. Short Title

This Act may be cited as the Gender Recognition Act (Amendments) 2019

These changes allow the process of receiving a Gender Recognition Certificate to be a less intrusive process, whilst still preventing it from misuse. It also aims to be more inclusive of other gender identities, by offering amendments for non-binary certificates too. This government is proud to defend the rights of people who are LGBT+. I commend this statement to the house.
Last edited by Andrew97; 1 month ago
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This Bill has my support. My concern about prisoners self declaring to harm others has been addressed.
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
This Bill has my support. My concern about prisoners self declaring to harm others has been addressed.
Pleased to hear you're happy with those amendments - thank you kindly for raising said concerns.
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This bill is not constitutional, it does not have an enactment clause or an extent, commencement and short title.

It is sad to see that this Speaker Andrew97 has YET AGAIN committed a blunder...
Andrew97
Rep:
?
(Original post by Connor27)
This bill is not constitutional, it does not have an enactment clause or an extent, commencement and short title.

It is sad to see that this Speaker Andrew97 has YET AGAIN committed a blunder...
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Debate on this is suspended until I receive the above.

shadowdweller TheRadishPrince

I’m going to give you 48 hours to fix this.
Last edited by Andrew97; 1 month ago
Greywolftwo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
B1517: Reform of the Gender Recognition Act (2004), TSR Government

BXXXX: Reform of the Gender Recognition Act (2004)

In conjunction with the Department for Education, her majesty's government will be amending the Gender Recognition Act (2004) with the following changes...

Amendments to Gender Recognition Act (2004)
  • Application subsection 1: A person of either gender who is aged at least 18 may make an application for a gender recognition certificate - to be reduced to 16 years.
  • Determination of applications subsection 1a: has lived in the acquired gender throughout the period of two years ending with the date on which the application is made - to be changed to 1.5 years for under 18s, and 6 months for over 18s.
  • Under marriage, a spouse will no longer have to consent for the marriage to continue for an applicant to be approved for a full GRC. Instead, they will have to go through divorce proceedings if they do not wish to continue the marriage.
  • Bill to include protections - those in ownership of a GRC should be sent to prisons that align with their recognised gender, where appropriate. Those on ownership of a GRC should be entitled to use shelters for their recognised gender.
  • GRCs to be extended to cover non-binary identities. Document will now include 'X' as well as 'M' or 'F'.
  • Cost to be reduced from £140 to £70, which can be made payable through installments.

Exemptions
  • To be sent to a prison that aligns with their recognised gender, an individual will have to have been in receipt of a GRC before sentencing, or they will have had to have lived as their acquired gender for at least a year, and not have committed violent crimes against the gender they identify as.

These changes allow the process of receiving a Gender Recognition Certificate to be a less intrusive process, whilst still preventing it from misuse. It also aims to be more inclusive of other gender identities, by offering amendments for non-binary certificates too. This government is proud to defend the rights of people who are LGBT+. I commend this statement to the house.
It shouldn’t be lowered to 16, too much pressure in someone at that age as well as GCSEs they are too young to make that kind of decision
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Debate on this is suspended until I receive the above.
My apologies, please see below.

4. Extent

(a) England and Wales
(b) Scotland, and
(c) Northern Ireland

5. Commencement

6. Short Title

Greywolftwo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Wait this isn’t actually real is it?
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Greywolftwo)
It shouldn’t be lowered to 16, too much pressure in someone at that age as well as GCSEs they are too young to make that kind of decision
To clarify, they would only be able to apply at 16 after having lived as their acquired gender for at least 1.5 years - which I feel is longer than could be passed off as exam whims. This is also the formality of applying for their GRC - any existing restrictions on hormones and/or surgery would still apply.
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Wait this isn’t actually real is it?
How do you mean, sorry?
Andrew97
Rep:
?
(Original post by shadowdweller)
My apologies, please see below.

4. Extent

(a) England and Wales
(b) Scotland, and
(c) Northern Ireland

5. Commencement

6. Short Title

Cheers. Now added.
Greywolftwo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How do you mean, sorry?
As in is it a real amendment?
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As in is it a real amendment?
As real as anything is in MHoC is! I'm afraid I'm still quite confused by your question.
Greywolftwo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
To clarify, they would only be able to apply at 16 after having lived as their acquired gender for at least 1.5 years - which I feel is longer than could be passed off as exam whims. This is also the formality of applying for their GRC - any existing restrictions on hormones and/or surgery would still apply.
What do you mean by longer than could be passed off as exam whims
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Yay, even more pandering to the mentally ill to recognise their delusions.
I'm sorry to hear you feel this way. I'd be happy to discuss this with you further if you feel it would be beneficial?
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What do you mean by longer than could be passed off as exam whims
Perhaps a poor wording, my apologies - what I mean to say is that I feel that the length of time is sufficient that I don't feel it adds additional pressure as a decision, nor would said decision be affected by any existing stresses
Greywolftwo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm sorry to hear you feel this way. I'd be happy to discuss this with you further if you feel it would be beneficial?
Talking of the increasingly liberal society and the way it’s headed, you all think it for the best when it will probably end up going horribly wrong
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Talking of the increasingly liberal society and the way it’s headed, you all think it for the best when it will probably end up going horribly wrong
Do you have any evidence that supports your stance on this? I'd be interested to read it if so
Greywolftwo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you have any evidence that supports your stance on this? I'd be interested to read it if so
Everyone talks of the LGBTQ community and how great it is and acts as though it’s the majority community, it isn’t though, it’s a very small minority of the community and yet it’s overhyped very much and it’s annoying. People’s opinions are becoming more polarised and devoid of any form of common sense or critical thinking. It’s the Libertarian hypocrisy which makes me laugh as more and more people see it as the object truth, ‘people say they will be accepting of everyone’s views but then openly criticise those who don’t believe what they do and have extreme reactions to people’s opinions. People are starting to choose to believe in opinion as fact rather than opinion

Views on smoking and drugs, I know some people who’s parents actually let them smoke and so drugs (such bad parenting).
Last edited by Greywolftwo; 1 month ago
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Everyone talks of the LGBTQ+ community and how great it is and acts as though it’s the majority community, it isn’t though, it’s a very small minority of the community and yet it’s overhyped very much and it’s annoying.
I'm afraid that's not quite what I meant when I asked for evidence
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (40)
26.67%
No (110)
73.33%

Watched Threads