This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
A229 - By Election Manifesto Submission Time Amendment

Proposed by: The Mogg (Conservative)

Seconded by: Connor27 (Conservative), CatusStarbright (Deputy Speaker, Independant), SoggyCabbages (Labour), LiberOfLondon (Libertarian), 04MR17 (Liberal Democrat)

This House would amend the Guidance Document as follows:

Amend the section entitled ‘By Elections’ from:

14) The duration of an election shall be 11 days.

Day 0 – Election is announced by The Speaker.

Day 0 - The Speaker will inform interested candidates/parties to submit their manifestos

Day 7 – All manifestos should have been received by The Speaker.

Day 7 - The Speaker will post the manifestos in a thread in the Model House of Commons forum, add a secret 4 day poll with the option of “Spoilt Ballot”.

Day 11 – The election closes and seats are assigned.

To:

14) The duration of an election shall be 8 days.

Day 0 – Election is announced by The Speaker.

Day 0 - The Speaker will inform interested candidates/parties to submit their manifestos

Day 4 – All manifestos should have been received by The Speaker.

Day 4 - The Speaker will post the manifestos in a thread in the Model House of Commons forum, add a secret 4 day poll with the option of “Spoilt Ballot”.

Day 8 – The election closes and seats are assigned.

Notes

Not a really long amendment but the change is really simple, To reduce the amount of time of manifestos being sent during a by election. 7 days is simply too long and unnecessarily drags out an already fairly long process. This will cut down the by election process from 11 days to 8 days.

The Mogg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Gee wizz, this is a tough one.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Aye, as my objections were overcome by the kind explanation offered by Mr Speaker on procedure.
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Seems like a positive change in my view.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It ain't broke, it don't need fixing, and this requires any party with an internal process of 4 days or longer to keep a voting record for the entire house to be able to preempt a by election as they are otherwise de facto excluded from all by elections.
TheRadishPrince
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'll certainly back this. I don't like the idea of seats being empty in Parliament longer than necessary and this should make things more efficient whilst giving adequate time to prepare a brief manifesto.
abucha3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Aye
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This amendment has my support for reasons stated in the debate. It allows the newly elected MPs to settle into the house much more quickly than previously.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
All those in favour, for parties that have by election procedures in excess of four days (far from unreasonable) what do you propose: forever being ready for a by election (in which case why even have the 4 days, why not 1 or even immediate start?), maintaining a whole house voting review to be able to preempt by-elections, or ultimately have the house as a whole dictate how their party is run?
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
All those in favour, for parties that have by election procedures in excess of four days (far from unreasonable) what do you propose: forever being ready for a by election (in which case why even have the 4 days, why not 1 or even immediate start?), maintaining a whole house voting review to be able to preempt by-elections, or ultimately have the house as a whole dictate how their party is run?
With the appeal period the period extents effectively to six days and even then by-elections don’t always get called the day after.

That said if you state how much time you actually need It Would help.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
We don't have a procedure for something as small as a by election. I was surprised other parties did. I'd recommend just cutting your procedure short to be honest. Leadership choose a candidate, vote of approval from membership the day after and away you go. It's not that big a deal.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
We don't have a procedure for something as small as a by election. I was surprised other parties did. I'd recommend just cutting your procedure short to be honest. Leadership choose a candidate, vote of approval from membership the day after and away you go. It's not that big a deal.
The point is that if any parties do have a longer procedure the rest of the house is de facto forcing them to change it for the whole of three days. I doubt anybody would like it if the house as a whole started dictating processes for their internal processes.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
With the appeal period the period extents effectively to six days and even then by-elections don’t always get called the day after.

That said if you state how much time you actually need It Would help.
Who said I needed the time? a 48 hour appeal window also only effectively extends it to 5 days, after 6 days have elapsed the submissions deadline would have passed.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The point is that if any parties do have a longer procedure the rest of the house is de facto forcing them to change it for the whole of three days. I doubt anybody would like it if the house as a whole started dictating processes for their internal processes.
I'm well aware, and as I said in the original debate I believe it would be better for a party's constitution to adapt to the way the house operates than a house maintaining an old rule for the sake of one or two party's constitutions. I'd be fully prepared to edit the Liberal Democrat constitution if an amendment warranted it.

Is this just you/your party trying to do absolutely nothing this term beyond the 1 motion we've had from you?
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The third option.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Who said I needed the time? a 48 hour appeal window also only effectively extends it to 5 days, after 6 days have elapsed the submissions deadline would have passed.
As somebody that does believe in party sovereignty i would be prepared to make further amendment if a party raised issue but that has not occurred. Most whips know in advance whether there is likely to be a by-election or not and as stated the appeals process adds yet more notice for leadership to organise a candidate.

I don’t really see the issue here if it’s not your party that needs extra time to comply with your constitution.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
The Ayes to the right, 36
The noes to the left, 4
Abstains, 2

The Ayes have it, the Ayes have it. Unock!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (14)
6.57%
They might tell the bully (22)
10.33%
I don't think they'd understand (36)
16.9%
It might lead to more bullying (74)
34.74%
There's nothing they could do (67)
31.46%

Watched Threads