The Student Room Group

Anxious about maths

I took my GCSEs summer of 2019, and I got good grades but I noticed I got an 8 in maths. This is in no way me saying I’m unhappy with an 8 and I hate to be boasting and stuff but I was literally 7 marks into an 8. And this was really strange because whenever you give me a question to do in class or at home I could do it, and I’m taking A-Level Maths and Further Maths yet I got a relatively low grade compared to my Further Maths class. I’m really liking further Maths and I always got 75+ in my normal GCSE mocks but I had such bad exams in June. I’m just worried that I did something wrong? And that my teachers are going to be worried that I can’t do well in them when Maths was my very best subject. Any advice would be nice..

*Not necessarily bad exams I just didn’t revise at all for them as I focused on other exams.
(edited 4 years ago)
Don't worry!!!! I got an 8 at GCSE as well and I've coped with A-level maths just fine (just started A2). I don't think your GCSE grades matter now anyway, just work hard and if you enjoy maths, you won't have a problem with staying motivated and overcoming challenging topics. As for further maths, it is a bit more tough but I know some people who are doing well, despite getting like a grade 7 in GCSE maths so you know, it depends on the person I guess. As for me, I dropped it after AS (got a C) because it was too stressful but maybe that's just me... and it was my 4th option anyways. Hope all goes well for you. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
No need to worry, I got an 8 too - just sat my A-Levels and came out with an A in both Maths and Further Maths (only 2 marks from the A* in Maths and 6 from the A* in FM - so close lol)
Original post by MMFM411
No need to worry, I got an 8 too - just sat my A-Levels and came out with an A in both Maths and Further Maths (only 2 marks from the A* in Maths and 6 from the A* in FM - so close lol)

Have you thought about a remark in maths?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymouspsych
Have you thought about a remark in maths?

Yeah I did, got my papers back but they (unfortunately) were marked correctly... Oh well
Reply 5
Original post by Zzzzzzz17
Don't worry!!!! I got an 8 at GCSE as well and I've coped with A-level maths just fine (just started A2). I don't think your GCSE grades matter now anyway, just work hard and if you enjoy maths, you won't have a problem with staying motivated and overcoming challenging topics. As for further maths, it is a bit more tough but I know some people who are doing well, despite getting like a grade 7 in GCSE maths so you know, it depends on the person I guess. As for me, I dropped it after AS (got a C) because it was too stressful but maybe that's just me... and it was my 4th option anyways. Hope all goes well for you. Good luck :smile:

Thank you! I’m doing much better I’m Further than i am normal maths! If i could I’d drop normal Maths but that’s completelt unallowed. Tysm this makes me feel more confident <3
Reply 6
Original post by MMFM411

Thank u so much! This really helps, I know I can do it if I work hard I just don’t know if anyone else believes in me!
Original post by InesLines
Thank you! I’m doing much better I’m Further than i am normal maths! If i could I’d drop normal Maths but that’s completelt unallowed. Tysm this makes me feel more confident <3

No problem :yy:
Original post by MMFM411
Yeah I did, got my papers back but they (unfortunately) were marked correctly... Oh well

Ahh that sucks. Well an A is still really good anyway!

Quick Reply

Latest