Samimito
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm currently looking for a laptop just for typing up stuff and browsing the web. One thing I'm focused on is the battery life so, how many hours of battery does it really take to get through your uni days?

(Taking pharmacy btw so no rendering or any heavy load programmes are going to be used)
luke.ah
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm starting uni soon so I can't really answer your main question yet, sorry! However, I did recently buy the Acer Chromebook R13, primarily because I only used Google Suite/Drive for A-Levels and it can handle at least 11 hours battery life for each charge. If you're in a similar position, where you mainly just use the web browser and are looking for a semi-cheap laptop with long battery life, I'd certainly recommend looking into Chromebooks!

(Note: I would research the wifi situation at your university first though as, although you can type notes/documents on them without internet, Chromebooks work much faster with decent wifi connection)
Acsel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Laptop battery claims are basically random numbers thrown on a spec sheet. They mean nothing, as there is no standardised way of testing battery life that all manufacturers share.

In terms of guessing battery life, there are a few things to consider. What the battery capacity actually is, what hardware you have and how you are using it. Web browsing is more demanding than writing a Word document. Streaming media is even more demanding. Gaming laptops, or anything with a dedicated GPU suffer drastically reduced battery life. And so on.

Besides that, your actual use case matters. It doesn't matter if your battery lasts for 4 hours if you'll only ever be away from your charger for 3 hours. It's not ideal, but the battery life you specifically need matters more. And that's not something we can determine. If you're the sort of person who will be out and about all day, you'll want "all day" battery life. If you're the sort of person who flits between class and home you won't care as much.
Samimito
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
in the end i ended up ordering a lenovo thinkpad 440s. although not powerful, i think it perfectly suits my needs when it comes to typing and browsing. from all of the reviews it has been praised for its long battery life as well as amazing keyboard. can't wait for it tp arrive.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (129)
18.19%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.22%
Not great so far... (253)
35.68%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed