The Student Room Group

Gap year impact on CV/career prospects

Hi!

I have currently finished my A levels and I am holding an offer for deferred entry next year (which forces me to take a gap year).
I was wondering how much of an effect will a gap year have on my CV/career prospects (I will be taking Computer Science and AI as a degree at the university of Edinburgh)? What I am planning to do during said gap year is take the STEP exams (as I could not find any work placement options in London). My main question is: how much of an effect will this gap year that I have to take have on my career prospects?

Thanks a lot!
Original post by fff3
Hi!

I have currently finished my A levels and I am holding an offer for deferred entry next year (which forces me to take a gap year).
I was wondering how much of an effect will a gap year have on my CV/career prospects (I will be taking Computer Science and AI as a degree at the university of Edinburgh)? What I am planning to do during said gap year is take the STEP exams (as I could not find any work placement options in London). My main question is: how much of an effect will this gap year that I have to take have on my career prospects?

Thanks a lot!

From personal experience, although it obviously puts you a year behind various milestones, I can't see it hurting you long term (I effectively had a gap year after university, which was probably a mistake, but a few years after that I'm doing just fine as a software engineer).

Also from personal experience, I'd recommend you find something more fulfilling to do with your time in addition to "taking the STEP exams" - both for your own sanity, and to have something more interesting to talk about when applying for internships/your first graduate role (which is a major factor as to whether they'll see the gap as good or bad). This could be CS related (personal projects, learning some CS before you get to uni, etc, or a CS work placement like you seem to be after), or something completely unrelated.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by fff3
Hi!

Thanks a lot!

I decided to take a gap year last minute, so hello gap year buddy, lol.

I'm thinking of learning some new programming languages/constructs.

Honestly, from all the employers I asked (I rang and asked numerous software companies before making my decision), it doesn't make a difference. In fact, some appreciate the extra life experience a gap year can bring.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending