I love physics and maths, should I do biology or chemistry? Watch

Azimbrook1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I hate memorisation and im more into subjects that make you understand (so I know I should do chemistry). However, I completely hated gcse chemistry as it had alot of memorisation in it (e.g sodium makes a yellow flame and test for oxygen is the glowing splint test) ,I couldnt care less about NPK fertilisers and harbour process and I NEVER got the maths around my head,it just didn't make any sense - but thats because i never really tried to get it round my head. I found Biology quiet easy at gcse (so i took it for a level). I looked at the A level textbooks and it seems like i'll enjoy physical chemistry alot more than organic and inorganic. So should I take chemistry or stay with biology?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Memorising colours is going to get a lot worse, but my impression from people doing both biology and chemistry was that biology has far more memorisation involved. If you're trying to avoid that, don't take biology.
F12Ak
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you hate memorisation, why are you even considering biology?
Sretep01
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I do physics maths and biology a levels and I love them all
JJJJJAAAAMES
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Azimbrook1)
I hate memorisation and im more into subjects that make you understand (so I know I should do chemistry). However, I completely hated gcse chemistry as it had alot of memorisation in it (e.g sodium makes a yellow flame and test for oxygen is the glowing splint test) ,I couldnt care less about NPK fertilisers and harbour process and I NEVER got the maths around my head,it just didn't make any sense - but thats because i never really tried to get it round my head. I found Biology quiet easy at gcse (so i took it for a level). I looked at the A level textbooks and it seems like i'll enjoy physical chemistry alot more than organic and inorganic. So should I take chemistry or stay with biology?
Are you insane? all subjects have incredible amounts of memorisation. I did maths, chem and phys, and I can say that physics and maths had the most memorisation.

But others have told me that biology has the most memorisation out of all a levels. You don't dislike memorisation, you just don't like chemistry.
Azimbrook1
Rep:
?
(Original post by JJJJJAAAAMES)
Are you insane? all subjects have incredible amounts of memorisation. I did maths, chem and phys, and I can say that physics and maths had the most memorisation.

But others have told me that biology has the most memorisation out of all a levels. You don't dislike memorisation, you just don't like chemistry.
The problem is that alot of people make it very clear that chemistry is more about understanding concepts and applyign them (which i like). Also,people say that biology is just mindless regugation and very boring as its just memorising something then blurting it all out on the exam. I also found this on the internet:

"I all depends on your brain

I teach Physics A-level. Most of my students who are good a physics and maths find Biology harder as its more writing and memory. which they find hard. Of course another group of my students find Biology easier and struggle with physics and maths

My advice is to do he one he believes he will get a higher grade in. Asking people who taught him science in school might help. In my experience taking a subject because you or your parents thought it would help with a career is often a disaster if its not soemthing you love and are good at

If computing or electronic is on offer then look at those as well

dare we ask for the relevant gcse grades and whether he is carrying on at the same school" - posted 5 years ago

I think that shows that chemistry is more of an understanding kind of subject compared to biology
Last edited by Azimbrook1; 4 weeks ago
Azimbrook1
Rep:
?
(Original post by F12Ak)
If you hate memorisation, why are you even considering biology?
Because I did well at it for GCSEs and I found it kinda interesting, but for GCSE chemistry I flat out hated it - However the As level textbook is making me more interested in chemistry
Last edited by Azimbrook1; 4 weeks ago
F12Ak
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Because I did well at it for GCSEs and I found it kinda interesting, but for GCSE chemistry I flat out hated it - However the As level textbook is making me more interested in chemistry
As someone who does both at A2 (as well as physics), I say if you are confident you can do well in chemistry, go for it. You'll find yourself having an easier time to learn it as well since you'll be interested in it.

There is memorising to do in chemistry but no where near the levels of biology, its mainly learning concepts and applying them. Lots of calculations too but nothing that will require A-level maths.
Apad121
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm an A level student now in the second year and I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, physics, chemistry and biology.

I originally only really liked physics and maths from GCSE but after studying the A levels for a year, I've really enjoyed Biology and Chemistry and now want to pursue Chemistry at University.

Being said, I personally find that Chemistry has more random things to remember such as the crazy long list of about 30 reactions, remembering the exact conditions and reagants for every single one of them. These really dry facts are really hard to remember. Though biology has more memorisation, everything seems to be telling a story: the story of life literally.

I wouldn't say that either is particularly more demanding for your memory but I would say that Chemistry has more links with physics. If possible, try some chemistry and biology a level content, pick up some textbooks. It is relatively rare to do maths physics and biology though, usually it's either chemistry and bio or chemistry and physics. Since physics and bio are at either ends of the spectrum.

Good luck!
Azimbrook1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Apad121)
I'm an A level student now in the second year and I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, physics, chemistry and biology.

I originally only really liked physics and maths from GCSE but after studying the A levels for a year, I've really enjoyed Biology and Chemistry and now want to pursue Chemistry at University.

Being said, I personally find that Chemistry has more random things to remember such as the crazy long list of about 30 reactions, remembering the exact conditions and reagants for every single one of them. These really dry facts are really hard to remember. Though biology has more memorisation, everything seems to be telling a story: the story of life literally.

I wouldn't say that either is particularly more demanding for your memory but I would say that Chemistry has more links with physics. If possible, try some chemistry and biology a level content, pick up some textbooks. It is relatively rare to do maths physics and biology though, usually it's either chemistry and bio or chemistry and physics. Since physics and bio are at either ends of the spectrum.

Good luck!
Can I ask why you want to persue chemistry in the future as it has alot of dry facts?. Also, Ive decided to do physics as I feel like it has real life application and its everywhere. I also decided to do biology as you can actuall 'see' it, as in you can see a leaf. I planning to do engineering the future and i cant do further maths
Apad121
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Can I ask why you want to persue chemistry in the future as it has alot of dry facts?. Also, Ive decided to do physics as I feel like it has real life application and its everywhere. I also decided to do biology as you can actuall 'see' it, as in you can see a leaf. I planning to do engineering the future and i cant do further maths
Chemistry is the central science. Keeos doors open for physics and biology if wanted. I am interested in battery technology and also in computational chemistry for ai. Chemistry is required in literally everything produced and literally the backbone of medicinal science so I don't know what you are talking about when you say you can't "see" chemistry. Chemistry in all liquids from factories, medicines, creams, even plastics, all fluids, even water cleaning. What doesn't have chemistry? As for fact learning, I think it's pretty easy in my opinion, physics does NOT have shortage in brute facts when it comes to particle physics and remembering lots of the smaller quakes and their properties. And biology, that's 90% memory. Chemistry are probably only dry to you because you don't like it. If you did even better in chemistry like win regional competitions, I'm sure you'd like it a lot more> I can speak from experience on this.

I believe the top unis like further maths for engineering? Further maths is definitely one of the more manageable A levels in my opinion due to less facts needed to remember it when I compare it to the other A levels in my 5.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
66.29%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.71%

Watched Threads