Can I teach myself a levels in the next 8 months

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have been out of education for coming on to 6 years now, I never went to college so I have no idea about A levels. I have no idea how the exams work. What would I need to learn? Just second year content or all of it? Where do I find out what I need to learn, what are specs? How many exams are they per subject? If I sat as a private candidate then where do I send my coursework and how would I even know what coursework I would need to do? I am wanting to do law at uni so what A levels should I do? I cant do it at a college as I have missed the entry date.
giella
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just do law with the OU if you want to do a law degree. Cheaper and you don’t need the A levels first.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You need to learn the content, exam techniques and exam rules so you don’t get disqualified in an exam. For As, it’s only the first year and for a level it’s both years however it’s more beneficial to do both years for that a levels. There’s many resources online but also in the library but also books you can buy (it’s more better to get the ones your examboard picks). Specifications are list of topics and things examiners expect you to know in the exam so it’s basically helps you know what you need to learn but doesn’t tell you any of the content so you need to learn that yourself.

Idk how private candidacy works but you can find a centre which can take in private candidates and research what examboard they do for each subject so you know what examboard you need to learn from but also maybe send in your coursework. However I truly do not know but I bet there’s some stuff here or on YouTube or blogs with experience about it and how the process works.

You don’t need a specific combination of ideal a levels since they care more if you achieve high grades so do the ones you like or the ones you think are good at but also you can motivate yourself in. Remember you only need 3 a levels since that’s what all unis require so you don’t need 4 a levels to impress them. Also they more focus on your personal statement and maybe interview if they do it and lnat test if it’s a Russell Group uni (most of the time). The lnat is the law national admission test which shows off your essay skills but also comprehensive skills. Also Cambridge does a different test but it’s only for Cambridge and most unis don’t require lnat unless theyre the top unis. So basically get good grades; maybe a good interview/Lnat test (if you need it) and not a bad personal statement.

You can do a gap year and wait till next year or you can go and try to apply for foundation year (but I think you need some kind of qualification) or open university.
Eeeeeeee9999
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yo. I basically did this in my gap year. The first step is to apply to a centre to take the exam as a private candidate. They’ll charge you about £50 I think. Then you organise all the coursework with them (I had to chase them up for it quite a bit though). Also, it’s a good idea to find the A Level you want to take on the exam boards website (AQA, Edexcel, etc...) They give all the information you’ll need: exam dates, specification, past papers. You’ll probably need to buy their textbook, but I arranged to borrow one from the centre. If not, you can probably find a second hand one for next to nothing.
Pany5689
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
sanane
Last edited by Pany5689; 1 year ago
Pany5689
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, how much did you pay per subject per exam? What does the exam centre tell me what I need to do for my coursework? I want to do law, business and probably maths, thank you!
(Original post by Eeeeeeee9999)
Yo. I basically did this in my gap year. The first step is to apply to a centre to take the exam as a private candidate. They’ll charge you about £50 I think. Then you organise all the coursework with them (I had to chase them up for it quite a bit though). Also, it’s a good idea to find the A Level you want to take on the exam boards website (AQA, Edexcel, etc...) They give all the information you’ll need: exam dates, specification, past papers. You’ll probably need to buy their textbook, but I arranged to borrow one from the centre. If not, you can probably find a second hand one for next to nothing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (48)
31.17%
No - I have already returned home (19)
12.34%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
21.43%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
9.09%
No - I live at home during term anyway (40)
25.97%

Watched Threads