GCSE requirements for University course

Watch
This discussion is closed.
KatieLamb0711
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have currently just started year 13, and am in the process of choosing Universities. My predicted grades are AAB, Which meets the A level requirements of Business Management at Newcastle University, However they require a B in Mathematics at GCSE, to which I came out with a C,as-well as 7 other GCSE. However I was told from a school sixth form head that they don't require these grades.

The A levels I am doing are part of the courses preferred A levels (English Lit/Lang, Law and Business Studies), Which I was also told the same thing on the open day. I was wondering if anyone has experienced past situations of a similar sort who knows what may happen? Or if anyone know's if Newcastle may be leeniant in terms of this grade?

I also don't know if it would be best to resit maths or reconsider Universities, due to only having around 7 months to resit.
Last edited by KatieLamb0711; 2 years ago
Gracem257
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Newcastle are fairly lenient. I just finished a levels this year and a lot of my friends went to Newcastle, despite being a grade under the entry requirements. I guess it depends on the course you’re choosing to do, maybe worth ringing the admissions office and asking them? It’s probably best to do it that way than spend the money on applying and getting turned down just based on that small thing x
KatieLamb0711
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Will do , thank you very much x
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by KatieLamb0711)
I have currently just started year 13, and am in the process of choosing Universities. My predicted grades are AAB, Which meets the A level requirements of Business Management at Newcastle University, However they require a B in Mathematics at GCSE, to which I came out with a C,as-well as 7 other GCSE. However I was told from a school sixth form head that they don't require these grades.

The A levels I am doing are part of the courses preferred A levels (English Lit/Lang, Law and Business Studies), Which I was also told the same thing on the open day. I was wondering if anyone has experienced past situations of a similar sort who knows what may happen? Or if anyone know's if Newcastle may be leeniant in terms of this grade?

I also don't know if it would be best to resit maths or reconsider Universities, due to only having around 7 months to resit.
Unis are often stricter with GCSE requirements than with A-level grades. Some use GCSEs as a "first sort" to weed out applicants. You should check with Newcastle and other unis in which you are interested whether they would overlook your C.
OrlaNeville278
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
Hello, did they end up accepting your offer?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (137)
33.83%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.42%
No (109)
26.91%
I'm not sure (52)
12.84%

Watched Threads