No Being Able To Do Required Practicals Due To Phobia Watch

MissScuito
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am deathly afraid of fire, to the point where some days I can't even turn the stove on, candles and lighters, even the long length ones, are a complete no go. So I was wondering what I would be able to do in required practicals that involve any sort of fire because even today, when I knew we weren't doing anything with fire but my teacher mentioned turning on the gas I had a complete breakdown, started shaking and crying. We've never done practicals that involve and sort of fire before now but GCSEs seem to include a lot more so what can I do?
PetitePanda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
For triple, Combined Science triple or combined science synergy?
MissScuito
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
We're doing triple with AQA but I can't find any resources on their website about it
Grizwuld
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That's a very strong phobia indeed.

Think about seeing a therapist. Hypnosis is often very helpful in dealing with phobias.
AliceV_647
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You might be able to talk to your teacher about alternative practicals, or perhaps coming to a compromise - they might be able to contact the exam board and sort something out. At some point you're probably going to have to be around fire, but hopefully not have any real contact with it! As someone who also has a severe phobia, I very much sympathise
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You would probably need to get appropriate supporting documentation from a professional (e.g. your GP, a counsellor or therapist, etc) and submit it to your schools exams officer for them to make any necessary arrangements with the exam board. Not all chemistry practicals at GCSE (or A-level, for that matter) require the use of a bunsen burner (e.g. titrations), but some do so they may need to make alternative arrangements for those that do.

As above, if you aren't currently, I would recommend speaking to a professional about it (which you will probably need to do in order to get some supporting documentation for the exam board to consider the extenuating circumstances anyway). They might be able to also help you manage symptoms in the short term and potentially address any root cause of the phobia. Even if not, as above you will probably need to talk to one to get a formal diagnosis and documentation confirming your circumstances.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (197)
27.06%
Not great so far... (263)
36.13%
I want to drop out! (137)
18.82%

Watched Threads