atlalex
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’ve just started year 12 with the options biology, chemistry, physics & maths. I took maths as a fourth option that I could potentially drop, and after two weeks of maths lessons I’m really not enjoying the subject. I’m thinking of switching this option to english language which I think I will enjoy more, but I’m scared that not taking maths to a-level is going to have an ultimately detrimental effect for me further down the line; I’m not really sure what kind of a career I want at the moment, but I’m considering something in biochemistry or medicine and I have been told that maths is a very good a-level to have in general. Any input anybody has on this would be greatly appreciated as I’m extremely unsure as to what to do and I don’t have a lot of time to decide.
Kotrii10
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
you're already taking bio, chem and physics, so in theory you don't actually need maths. if you were to apply to med school you'd have a good chance since in their preferred options they tend to list maths or physics in addition to compulsory subjects of chem and bio. Therefore, you basically have everything for med school and I'd imagine many of the similar courses. Do have a look at the courses on offer, unis and what they require for specifics. If you're really hating maths, I'd suggest you drop it since I assume it'll only get harder and you don't want it to bring down your other grades. Besides it'll be hard to push through a subject you don't enjoy. Why don't you want to do just 3 A-levels? it'd be easier to focus on, and get higher grades in
solitaireegg
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
my friends want to take the medical route too but didn’t take a level maths instead they do core maths which is a year long course and very doable, as i’m told. so if ur school offers it go for it!
English2001
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A level English language is definitely one of the easiest a Levels, I can definitely recommend it! You technically don’t need to take a level maths with your science a Levels - I know plenty of people who did sciences with English
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (14)
6.6%
They might tell the bully (22)
10.38%
I don't think they'd understand (36)
16.98%
It might lead to more bullying (74)
34.91%
There's nothing they could do (66)
31.13%

Watched Threads

Latest