ewelinastopyra
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
I was graduated in 2013 with Master degree in Physiotherapy in Poland. I have no work experience except university apprenticeship programs. What do I need to do to work as a Physiotherapist in UK now? Is there any complementary course I can do? How to gain work experience? I was applying for number of Physiotherapy Assistant positions but due to lack of experience unsuccessfully. thanks
Ironmike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ewelinastopyra)
Hi,
I was graduated in 2013 with Master degree in Physiotherapy in Poland. I have no work experience except university apprenticeship programs. What do I need to do to work as a Physiotherapist in UK now? Is there any complementary course I can do? How to gain work experience? I was applying for number of Physiotherapy Assistant positions but due to lack of experience unsuccessfully. thanks
To start of with, you need HCPC registration - do you have this?

If you do, then it unfortunately doesn't look like an easy path into the NHS for many from overseas. There is primarily the issue of the equivicancy of what you have learned in Poland, and in particular respiratory physio. We are very strong in the UK on resp physio, and an area many foreign qualified workers struggle with is competence in this. If you do not have skills in this area, then I would suggest looking for any courses that will give you this as I guarantee every band 5 interview will have at least one question relating to respiratory care. I would however advise against doing lots of expensive qualifications as they won't be of use to you in looking at junior physio jobs.

As an example, I recently recruited to assistant posts, and I had around 50 CV's for one job. Some of the candidates were more qualified than me - one with a Phd, lots of masters and Bsc degrees. It made for quite depressing reading actually. What I would say is that you need someone to look at your cv professionally and make sure that it stands out. The person I recruited in the end only had A levels, but they really shone through in their application, and gave a fantastic interview. At Band 3 level, I am looking for someone who wants to stay long term in the team and learn, and this could be where you are not getting any offers. It is all very well being a qualified physio, but if my teams are going to invest time and money into your development, I am going to be a bit nervous that you will be looking for band 5 work, and leave within 4 months of starting for a better offer. This isn't a reason I wouldn't employ you, but the point I am making is don't go down the path of I have a Masters in physio so therefore I am going to be better than 99% of the other applicants. As above, I would say that 60% of the applications I receive are Bsc qualified or better, and therefore making yourself stand out is about the content of your personal statement. Is it well written? Is it grammatically correct? Does it sound enthusiastic? Is it tailored to the job description, and does it show a genuine interest in the trust you are applying for?

The other thing I would want to know is why have you not worked since 2013 in physio? That's nearly 7 years ago. There may be a reason such as travelling or family commitments, but this would again make me wonder what you had been up to professionally.

It's a tough one. Without knowing you or your background, it is hard to advise. Have you looked at volunteering in the NHS? There are usually openings in most trusts for volunteers, and it gives you an in with regards to making connections and building relationships with managers who might then see you could work well in the trust and make a phone call etc etc. I think the biggest problem you will have though is the 7 years gap between qualifying and where you are now. This is likely going to be the biggest barrier to working in the NHS. Looking purely at the UK system, I think it is 2 years maximum that you can be out of the profession and then you need to undertake a 6 month return to work programme.

https://www.csp.org.uk/frontline/art...ractice-part-1

It might be that currently your only option is to spend time as an assistant whilst you get your UK registration and experience sorted, and for that, see the above advice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (62)
23.4%
No (203)
76.6%

Watched Threads