First Day of Freshers - Cried to a teacher Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
yh, I got so stressed out from the induction talk and other things, I went straight down to student welfare (right after they introduced us through the induction talk 'there's student welfare downstairs') and cried my eyes out there to the lady. the lady said she'd email me to confirm counselling but still haven't received an email.

did anyone else have a mental breakdown on their first day of uni?
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I haven't started yet, moving this weekend.

what were you stressed about?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I had my induction day today and though I didn’t cry, I was pretty sad because I didn’t make any friends and barely talked to anyone. Also the day was extremely boring and just full of icebreakers which I’ve always hated, so that just put me in a sh*tty mood
Glaz
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
CoolCavy The_Lonely_Goatherd shadowdweller
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Leviathan1611)
I haven't started yet, moving this weekend.

what were you stressed about?
I had to go to the bank which I hadn't done, my student finance still hadn't come through, the pressure of making friends and making conversation, a girl I had made friends with started another friendship group so I was trying to figure out if it was right for me to talk to other people too without her, have to get next year's accommodation sorted out since this year is a 1 year contract, still need to get a laundry card, need to find a gp and get a appointment, need to finish buying essentials from city centre but never been, need to make a bus pass but it might be expensive, need to cook, need to make sure im as good as I said I was in the interviews for my course in class, needing to practice my skills more, need to research more of my course..etc I don't know there's just SO MUCH to worry about.

after induction I saw how good the other students in my class were, and made me realise I aint ****. I was already anxious and stressed, and that just was the final straw of my breakdown.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
Don’t worry you’ll get used to it soon, the course will start and a routine will develop. Take it easy and try and just ride it out.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
Don’t worry you’ll get used to it soon, the course will start and a routine will develop. Take it easy and try and just ride it out.
In the interview for the course, I tried my best to look as motivated and enthusiastic as possible thinking "lol my depression will probably have gone away by the time I start" but it's actually gotten worse. I literally don't know what else to do other than stress and cry.
Catherine1973
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did freshers Induction today. I am mid forties with an existing degree and professional qualification. I found it stressful and I was nervous meeting loads of new people etc. Everyone feels the same. I’d focus on getting the practical things done and make a list of all the other stuff you don’t know yet (mine is huge), trying to make tons of friends ASAP can wait. Just be friendly and try and join maybe some practical societies -ie a sports one or the ones putting on the radio shows. So ca. Focus on the activity rather than the social bit.
And it’s gets better!
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
In the interview for the course, I tried my best to look as motivated and enthusiastic as possible thinking "lol my depression will probably have gone away by the time I start" but it's actually gotten worse. I literally don't know what else to do other than stress and cry.
I’m sure it’s overwhelming but remember that most people don’t really have much of a clue what they’re doing at this stage either; people are just very good at hiding it. You’ve got loads of time to get used to it, first year is usually not that important anyway.

Try and use the negatives (depression) as positives (you have a chance to reinvent yourself and have fun in a new environment), and everything else will follow. You’ll realise that you are actually good at the course once you’ve got settled in (you are since you made it to uni). Have patience and keep the faith.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Catherine1973)
I did freshers Induction today. I am mid forties with an existing degree and professional qualification. I found it stressful and I was nervous meeting loads of new people etc. Everyone feels the same. I’d focus on getting the practical things done and make a list of all the other stuff you don’t know yet (mine is huge), trying to make tons of friends ASAP can wait. Just be friendly and try and join maybe some practical societies -ie a sports one or the ones putting on the radio shows. So ca. Focus on the activity rather than the social bit.
And it’s gets better!
thank u, that's good advice but its my first time away from home and it feels really horribly lonely, it would be nice to have a few people to talk to.
Anonymous #1
I’m sure it’s overwhelming but remember that most people don’t really have much of a clue what they’re doing at this stage either; people are just very good at hiding it. You’ve got loads of time to get used to it, first year is usually not that important anyway.

Try and use the negatives (depression) as positives (you have a chance to reinvent yourself and have fun in a new environment), and everything else will follow. You’ll realise that you are actually good at the course once you’ve got settled in (you are since you made it to uni). Have patience and keep the faith.
thank u, I'll try.
sqgey
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I had to go to the bank which I hadn't done, my student finance still hadn't come through, the pressure of making friends and making conversation, a girl I had made friends with started another friendship group so I was trying to figure out if it was right for me to talk to other people too without her, have to get next year's accommodation sorted out since this year is a 1 year contract, still need to get a laundry card, need to find a gp and get a appointment, need to finish buying essentials from city centre but never been, need to make a bus pass but it might be expensive, need to cook, need to make sure im as good as I said I was in the interviews for my course in class, needing to practice my skills more, need to research more of my course..etc I don't know there's just SO MUCH to worry about.

after induction I saw how good the other students in my class were, and made me realise I aint ****. I was already anxious and stressed, and that just was the final straw of my breakdown.
You should keep in mind that everyone else is in the same boat as you, everyone else is probably hundreds if not thousands of miles away from home and that most friendships don't last; remember that truly close friends take months if not years to make.

Your errands aren't much, just make a checklist of the things you need to do and go with the flow, you'll finish everything before you know it. Most importantly, don't bother comparing yourself to others especially at this point, most people will seem deceptively competent since you don't know what their personal problems are.

I hope this helps, I was in somewhat of a similar predicament last week, but since you'll be here for at least another year, you may as well just put your head down and get on with fresher's week; enjoy it while you still can.
Last edited by sqgey; 1 month ago
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
OP, as someone who found uni emotionally difficult at times, I promise you, you've got this :hugs:

It's totally okay to cry on your first day, and it's totally okay to cry on your hundredth day. Things get easier once you get settled in though, and once you get past all the induction stuff.

Fingers crossed the lady emails you to confirm soon - if she doesn't, it may be worth popping your head back in at some point to check on progress?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by sqgey)
You should keep in mind that everyone else is in the same boat as you, everyone else is probably hundreds if not thousands of miles away from home and that most friendships don't last; remember that truly close friends take months if not years to make.

Your errands aren't much, just make a checklist of the things you need to do and go with the flow, you'll finish everything before you know it. Most importantly, don't bother comparing yourself to others especially at this point, most people will seem deceptively competent since you don't know what their personal problems are.

I hope this helps, I was in somewhat of a similar predicament last week, but since you'll be here for at least another week, you may as well just put your head down and get on with fresher's week; enjoy it while you still can.
it's just all so overwhelming. im trying to be a better person and get rid of my anxiety and depression by joining societies, talking to people and putting myself out there but its so damn exhausting. I've made a checklist, each time I tick off an errand, 3 more come on. I've talked to counselling, and today I did a yoga taster - which I've never done before. so I am trying new things hoping it will help, but with depression its hard to 'enjoy' anything. but that's for ur advice, I know friendships take long to last. I talked to a few people, but feel like they're just not for me. so I guess it will take time, I just don't want to look like the odd one out that's all.
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

do you have you have your parents or relatives or friends you can talk to for advice or something like that?

I recommend writing a list of everything you need to do and do it one by one, and tick it off when you've. I would tell you to relax but I don't know if that helps.

I think most people feel like their not good at their course at the beginning, pretty sure the other students may feel like they're weren't any good either.

I don't think you need to worry about accommodation for next year right now. that can wait for next spring or something.

if you can, try to relax and not put too much pressure on yourself.
Anonymous #4
Report 1 month ago
my first day today too and it was boring I wasn't stressed abt anything but tbf it is constantly on my mind I feel u though, I suggest email ur faculty office and they should suggest something for u
Anonymous #1
(Original post by shadowdweller)
OP, as someone who found uni emotionally difficult at times, I promise you, you've got this :hugs:

It's totally okay to cry on your first day, and it's totally okay to cry on your hundredth day. Things get easier once you get settled in though, and once you get past all the induction stuff.

Fingers crossed the lady emails you to confirm soon - if she doesn't, it may be worth popping your head back in at some point to check on progress?
thanks. the councillor lady did advise me 'talk to everyone, just say hi and who knows what will happen' and that's what I did, managed to make a few friends. I really wanted to say 'thank u' to her but I don't have her email, so im still waiting for that. ill wait a week before popping in again if she doesn't email. but the dread is still there even tho I think I made a few friends. maybe I just THINK I made new friends when really they only talked to me and don't really want anything to do with me secretly? we hung out and went to a coffee shop, but I've never done that with a bunch of people I don't know, and I've never met their personality types either so I have no idea what they could be thinking or doing, I have no idea what will happen next time I see them. hopefully they're just as nice.
Anonymous #1
my first day today too and it was boring I wasn't stressed abt anything but tbf it is constantly on my mind I feel u though, I suggest email ur faculty office and they should suggest something for u
like counselling? or something else?
sqgey
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
it's just all so overwhelming. im trying to be a better person and get rid of my anxiety and depression by joining societies, talking to people and putting myself out there but its so damn exhausting. I've made a checklist, each time I tick off an errand, 3 more come on. I've talked to counselling, and today I did a yoga taster - which I've never done before. so I am trying new things hoping it will help, but with depression its hard to 'enjoy' anything. but that's for ur advice, I know friendships take long to last. I talked to a few people, but feel like they're just not for me. so I guess it will take time, I just don't want to look like the odd one out that's all.
Joining societies is good because you'll find people with similar interests as you, which means you'll more likely to connect with them.

As for looking like the odd one out, you just have to remember that the average person on the street isn't going to care whether you're walking alone or with a group of friends, they've all got their own lives to get on with. Besides, in my opinion it's better to have a close circle of friends with people you're actually interested in than a large circle of friends that share very little interest.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Leviathan1611)
do you have you have your parents or relatives or friends you can talk to for advice or something like that?

I recommend writing a list of everything you need to do and do it one by one, and tick it off when you've. I would tell you to relax but I don't know if that helps.

I think most people feel like their not good at their course at the beginning, pretty sure the other students may feel like they're weren't any good either.

I don't think you need to worry about accommodation for next year right now. that can wait for next spring or something.

if you can, try to relax and not put too much pressure on yourself.
yh I have family, but mum is already stressed with bills and is already saying 'come home already' but im already here now. and my sisters are donkeys, I feel like my friends will think im being overdramatic. they'll think im lying or exaggerating, and even if they don't (which is unlikely), it means ill be a burden, so I can't tell them either. im losing tracks of all my lists lol, I made sooo many. I know there's some students who might be worse than me, but my brain keeps focusing on that fact that there's students better than me - im usually a student who gets top grades, even if I have to kill myself to get them. mum already agreed for me to go to an artsy course and didn't force me into academics, so if I get a low grade even for this course, then I'll be an embarrassment to the family tbh.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (64)
23.53%
No (208)
76.47%

Watched Threads