Uni of Gloucestershire Halls (Connecting a PS4 to Eduroam Wifi)

Watch
Zutomayo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
So I just moved into Hardwick halls this week and I've been trying to connect my Playstation 4 to the halls wifi which is eduroam. Every time I try and connect it however, it says that the wifi type is unsupported by my ps4. I tried to connect my laptop to the wifi and use it as a hotspot to then connect my Ps4 to, which did seem to work. When I tried joining parties to talk to other people however, I found I was unable to talk to everyone as there was no NAT type. My question I guess would be has anyone managed to successfully connect their Ps4 to the Eduroam wifi at Uni of Gloucestershire?

tl;dr Does anyone know how to connect to the eduroam wifi at Uni of Glos to a playstation 4?
Last edited by Zutomayo; 6 months ago
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
often you need to add a "trusted root certificate" or "security profile" to your network client,
(so that the Uni can check that your device isn't a source of malware etc)

but I had a quick look online, and didn't (yet) find the info for how to add a security profile to PS4

"When you cannot connect to PlayStation™Network
Use PlayStation™Network to connect your PS4™ system to a PlayStation™Network server or to another PS4™ system. When you're using PlayStation™Network at an office or other location with a shared network, a firewall or other security measures might prevent your PS4™ system from connecting to PlayStation™Network. If this occurs, refer to the port numbers listed below, which are used when you connect your PS4™ system to a PlayStation™Network server.

TCP: 80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480
UDP: 3478, 3479
For online activities such as competing with other players while your system is connected directly to other PS4™ systems, a different port number is used each time you connect.

Communication might be restricted depending on the security functions provided by your router or Internet service provider. Refer to the instructions supplied with the network device in use, and information from your Internet service provider."

So you probably need to become 'best friends' with the IT dept at Gloucs., they might know a way that your uni can place their root certificate on your PS, or not....

can you try and use the built-in web-browser of the PS4, just to access the initial "login" page for eduroam (usually can get this by trying to browse to www.google.com, which will redirect to a captive page, which can often drop the "root cert" onto your device, not sure if your PS4 browser is agile enough to do clever things with a profile.

I think this sony page (with zero answer) might be linked?
https://community.playstation.com/co...tati-bTJW.html
hopefully it will be something else and easily solveable?, I know friends using a Switch successfully at uni, but not a PS4
Zutomayo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hey, thanks for the response. I'll give it a try!
niteninja1
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Zutomayo)
Hey, thanks for the response. I'll give it a try!
Eduroam at most unis doesnt support gaming consoles or smart devices. Do you have a ethernet port
OddOnes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I used to live in Pittville (back when it was an awful building site). People would complain about this all the time. They'd ask reception and email about it with the response of "oh we'll sort it/look into it". Never happened, its still blocked. I suspect it's deliberate.

It also won't let you on steam. Try befriending a computer science student to find a way around it.
AmusingPengiun
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Eduroam uses Enterprise Authentication, WPA2-Enterprise, which means a username and password, not just a pass phrase that you will be used to at home. It is part of JaNET (The ISP for most universities) requirements that users are identifiable should such a need arise for security reasons.

https://community.jisc.ac.uk/library...authentication

Unfortunately, just like cheap printers, chromesticks, sonos devices, etc, they do not support this method of Authentication.

This is a challenge for a lot of Universities, effectively they would need to offer an "IoT" style network, which supports passphase but still need to identify whose device is whose, which is an investment and technology challenge.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (121)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my education (125)
16.19%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (72)
9.33%
Isolating with family (51)
6.61%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (30)
3.89%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (66)
8.55%
Loneliness (82)
10.62%
Financial worries (32)
4.15%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (70)
9.07%
Exposure to negative news/social media (50)
6.48%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (73)
9.46%

Watched Threads