I-ZAAA
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So this is how far I've got with my statement, can you please advice me on how to make it better, please?

I feel like I talked way too much about how I came to know Computer Science. I tried my best to make it more standout and I hope I talked about my passion without actually mentioning "passion".

Unlike most students who aspire to be Computer Scientists, I wasn’t really the type of person who was initially interested in Computer Science as a child neither did I have a computer or an advanced technological device such as a smartphone or laptop which could intrigue me in this subject , also with Maths and Science being a headache and frustrating to me in Primary and Secondary school, I was ambitionless. So how did a boy who hated the main academic subjects and had no background with technology ended up performing surprisingly well in his GCSEs and pick 3 A-Levels subjects which were his most detested subjects: Computer Science, Maths and Physics?

The idea of becoming a Software Engineer kicked in very late in my academic life, around Year 9. As mentioned before, I had no goal in Secondary School until one day when I was placed in a Year 11 Computer Science lesson for a punishment. Due to the lack of knowledge I didn’t attempt the assessment and ended up listening to the Computer Science lecture; Fetch-Decode-Execute Cycle, CU, ALU, MAR, MDR and much more; for the first time in my life I was interested so much in something educational.

It was mind-boggling how a human who could work at a limited pace to create a machine which could run at limit-shattering speed, it was overwhelming how a human which had a finite way to store knowledge (books) to construct a machine which could store infinite amount of knowledge, resources, data and all that just in 1s and 0s!; I had sparked an ever-burning flame of curiosity which wouldn’t quench anytime soon after that day. I had decided to extinguish that flame of interest I had to change my perspective, attitude towards learning and gain enough knowledge to reach my life goal, which I had finally attained, after all those years of wandering around; to extinguish that fire of curiosity within me.

P.S. It's Not finished yet
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by I-ZAAA)
So this is how far I've got with my statement, can you please advice me on how to make it better, please?
Is this your personal statement draft? I would delete this, never post publicly!
fatima17k
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm gonna be brutally honest

this would've been really good if you were writing it for a book; but for an employee or a university to read it, not really.

employers/teachers would literally scam through your statement, they don't really care why or what made you want to get into these subjects, all they care about are your achievements, skills and personal attributes that relate to the career you're trying to get into. I'd say re-write it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (13)
6.63%
They might tell the bully (20)
10.2%
I don't think they'd understand (33)
16.84%
It might lead to more bullying (71)
36.22%
There's nothing they could do (59)
30.1%

Watched Threads