The Student Room Group

Should i do medicine?

I am very conflicted about my career choice right now. I ma VERY passionate about science, the body, disease etc as well as being very c caring since i have family that require forms of caring. There are just a few things i am worried about:

- How good a social life do medical students/junior doctors have? Im not talking partying and getting drunk all the time but meeting friends, having time for themselves, pursuing other interests.

- What exams do doctors have post grad? I know about MRCPS(think thats what they are called...) but what about other ones? What do you need to . pass to become a consultant? How hard is all of the revision for these or is some on the job learning?

- How happy are you with your job? Could people give me their pros and cons maybe.

- I would quite like a vaired career. I know doctors see different patients and problems all the time but what opportunities are there for research(that isnt cliinical) entrepreneurship, chnace to change directions etc

thanks for reading!
Reply 1
Thanks for the quick reply!

What about doing medical researchin say pathology or stem cells etc? what about going abroad? is pay significantly better in say Australia and is there opp to do charity work abroad and in UK?
Is there opportunity for entrepreneurship?

thanks again
Original post by Ed_Harris111
Thanks for the quick reply!

What about doing medical researchin say pathology or stem cells etc? what about going abroad? is pay significantly better in say Australia and is there opp to do charity work abroad and in UK?
Is there opportunity for entrepreneurship?

thanks again

yeah loads. Loads of drs have portfolio careers so some time in research and some time doing clinical work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending