The Student Room Group

Should I study Psychology at uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by byeongkwans
How many psychologists have you met or received treatment from? Just out of curiosity.

Many. This includes both myself and my aunt, who a mental health team just watched as she killed herself. I told them she was suicidal and they came to the conclusion she was not. She then killed herself.

Original post by AliceV_647
Ummmm I think you'll find it is a science?? The degree that I'm about to start is literally as scientific as my biology A level was... plus it's definitely not a bad degree, as long as you actually go to a decent uni you can use it to go into pretty much any job sector with some further training.
(Also: just because treatment has not worked for you doesn't mean it's rubbish :smile: CBT for example is completely scientifically backed and works for most people...)

It depends which degree you do! If you go for an accredited one (that enables you to go on to further qualifications and become an actual psychologist) then they will likely have a decent amount of science in them. Equally some degrees are less scientific than others. Maybe have a look at some unis you like and read the course modules - that should hopefully give you an idea. That's what I did anyway, as I knew I wanted a more scientific degree - so different goal but same method haha! :smile:
(P.S. if you're just worried about your aptitude, don't let that put you off - most degrees do have a significant practical element, but you'll be fine! Also, not all courses involve dissection etc - so practicals might not be as gross as you think :smile: Once again, I can't speak from experience as I haven't done a psychology degree yet, but that's what I've gathered from open days etc!)

It is a pseudo science.

Have you got statistics on CBT success rates?
Original post by ElephantMemory
It's all pseudo science with no real career prospects. When you meet a psychologist or receive treatment from a psychologist, you quickly learn they are all just blagging it and have no clue what they are talking about.

what a load of toss LMAO
Original post by marinade
Although not my personal view, the reason you want to study psychology is very common among other people and ultimately why so many people study it. However you may be unsatisfied at the end of it. I say this simply out of experience of talking to a lot of graduates who want to go into mental health and from personal interest and they don't find out quite as many answers as you want.

If you want to understand yourselves and others better then I would suggest you do psychology if you want, but volunteer in a variety of settings which will broaden your perspective of life and start to answer the questions you have.

I read the squeamish comment as code for you have anxiety. If this is the case there will be plenty of other people on the course in the same boat. I would have a word with the admissions tutor about what lab work is involved.

Thanks for the feedback. It's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one who has these reasons for wanting to study it.
Yes, I have heard that it's quite common for people to feel unsatisfied afterwards, because they didn't get answers to their questions, and that is a big worry for me. What if I regret it? What if I gain nothing and it all turns out to be a waste?

About the volunteering, well, I'm not sure. I mean, I don't know what sort of work I'd do. But yeah, I'll definitely think about it. It could be the jumpstart I need to find the answers to some of my questions.

As for my squeamish comment, I actually wasn't trying to hide anything. Now that you mention it, I do think I might have anxiety, but that's just my guess. Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, I'm not really comfortable with lab work or doing any practicals. I suppose I'll have to speak to one of the tutors about it, like you said.
Original post by bubblecat
what a load of toss LMAO

You can live in your fantasy world. I live in reality. It is literally a pseudo science. You do not have the life experience I have. I have seen it all.
Original post by AW_1983
Psychology is a social science, not a science. That nuance essentially means you should have some appreciation of the scientific method and using statistics but you will only do so in a very practical way to work on social theories.

Also, if you don't like research, don't go to university at all!

I meant I don't like the sort of research that involves lab work or doing practicals. Otherwise research is no problem for me. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

I actually don't mind statistics and the scientific method, what bugs me is this: is the science quite complex, or is it basic enough for someone like me who struggles with and isn't a natural at the subject?
Original post by alexxhales
I meant I don't like the sort of research that involves lab work or doing practicals. Otherwise research is no problem for me. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

I actually don't mind statistics and the scientific method, what bugs me is this: is the science quite complex, or is it basic enough for someone like me who struggles with and isn't a natural at the subject?

I'm going to take the liberty to answer this question in a more abstract way. I'm a humanities graduate who for two decades thought science was 'hard.'

The truth is that science isn't hard and you probably won't find it hard. More likely you found school science boring/hard because it was very theoretical and deprived of any practical application. My own recollection of learning acceleration in Physics for example was a bunch of formulas on a white board. Boring. However, turn the subject into the question 'how can we make this car accelerate to 90mph more quickly' and suddenly the question and the approach to answering it makes sense.

When you study Psychology you will most likely change your mind about science because you will be learning it in a context that you find worthwhile. This was what happened to me and I quickly learned that humanities subjects with their uncertainties are far harder than the sciences, which are really just a framework that you will be more than capable of learning when it stops being abstract.
You can live in your fantasy world. I live in reality. It is literally a pseudo science. You do not have the life experience I have. I have seen it all.

you must be trolling. there’s no way this is a serious reply.
you must be trolling. there’s no way this is a serious reply.

I have alot of experience on the matter.
I have alot of experience on the matter.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Great argument. Very well done.
Great argument. Very well done.

just cannot take you seriously, sorry
just cannot take you seriously, sorry

This is what the mental health team with multiple psychologists said to my aunt before she killed herself.
This is what the mental health team with multiple psychologists said to my aunt before she killed herself.

alright
alright

Is this really an appropriate reply for that post?
Is this really an appropriate reply for that post?

is it really appropriate to try and guilt trip strangers on the internet?? sure your experience may have been bad and i’m sorry that happened to her but i’m not going to let you say “x killed themselves so you cant challenge me otherwise you’re insensitive” sorry??? your experience and opinion is not fact.
is it really appropriate to try and guilt trip strangers on the internet?? sure your experience may have been bad and i’m sorry that happened to her but i’m not going to let you say “x killed themselves so you cant challenge me otherwise you’re insensitive” sorry??? your experience and opinion is not fact.

Guilt trip? Huh? I am sharing my experience on the matter. You are being very insensitive. You didn't challenge me. You literally just said 'Alright'. Get a grip. You need to reevaluate your people skills.

My experience is a fact. This happened.
Guilt trip? Huh? I am sharing my experience on the matter. You are being very insensitive. You didn't challenge me. You literally just said 'Alright'. Get a grip. You need to reevaluate your people skills.

My experience is a fact.

i challenged you when i told you you are speaking toss, which you are. i didnt ask for you to go and put personal details onto a chat forum, you did that to try and undermine me and be like “this terrible thing happened to me so i’m right”

your experience with a couple terrible people does not make “all psychologists dont know what they’re talking about” a fact. get a grip.
(edited 4 years ago)
i challenged you when i told you you are speaking toss, which you are. i didnt ask for you to go and put personal details onto a chat forum, you did that to try and undermine me and be like “this terrible thing happened to me so i’m right”

your experience with a couple terrible people does not make “all psychologists dont know what they’re talking about” a fact. get a grip.

This is a good way to respond to valid concerns of psychology and the people who suffer from conditions it is supposed to treat. ''You're wrong. Now get a grip.''

You're an idiot. Grow up. the world does not revolve around you being right. There are many nuances to this that you are writing off.

What experience do YOU have with this pseudo science? You know some European countries allow assisted suicide for people suffering from depression? Hell of a success rate your pseudo science has.
(edited 4 years ago)
This is a good way to respond to valid concerns of psychology and the people who suffer from conditions it is supposed to treat. ''You're wrong. Now get a grip.''

You're an idiot. Grow up. the world does not revolve around you being right. There are many nuances to this that you are writing off.

What experience do YOU have with this pseudo science?

everything you’re saying to me here applies to YOU as well. the world does not revolve around you being right.

i also never disagreed with you that it’s a pseudo science. that’s kinda the POINT as to why its so heavily debated as to whether its a science or not - it’s not clear and is interpreted.

but to claim Every psychologist “has no clue what they’re talking about” is ridiculously ignorant.

i am sorry your experience has been so bad. it’s been bad for a lot of people as mental health still is not taken seriously and the amount of trained professionals willing to help is not very high. that’s why more people should be in this field, to help more people. not be discouraged, cos then we’ll end up with no one and even more people will be put at risk.

but if you want to bury your head in the sand and believe your experience is the only valid experience, or to believe no one has had positive experiences, then thats fine. do what you want. you seem happy enough to spread all your personal life experiences and details online.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Well I did geography. Great degree but utterly useless.

so why did u study it then. what a waste of tax payer money

Quick Reply

Latest