mialils
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi all,
I want to do medicine at university but in my gcses I got a 5 (high C) in maths and a 6 (B) in chemistry.
I wasn’t happy with my results but don’t know about resits as they are only 6 weeks away for maths.
Could I get into medical school with these results if I got really good a level results?
Need answers ASAP! Thanks
stress11
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don’t think it’s likely on the basis. Most uni degrees involving medicine although they don’t have any specific gcse requirements other than a basic pass, you have to take chemistry with either maths biology or physics at a level with most likely a pass of an A grade, with a high c at gcse youd find maths a level extremely difficult as I’m pretty sure the grade boundary for a c is lower than 40% which means youd be missing 60% of the basic gcse syllabus, physics is also going to be difficult to take as it’s got a lot of required maths content in the syllabus. The only way around it is if you take biology and chemistry at a level but this would be putting you at a disadvantage and you’d be making it quite difficult for yourself unless you work really hard and re take.. side note: lots of colleges don’t let you do maths a level with a c pass
Emhxh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mialils)
Hi all,
I want to do medicine at university but in my gcses I got a 5 (high C) in maths and a 6 (B) in chemistry.
I wasn’t happy with my results but don’t know about resits as they are only 6 weeks away for maths.
Could I get into medical school with these results if I got really good a level results?
Need answers ASAP! Thanks
Hi , well done for getting past your GCSEs As medicine is a competitive course some unis do ask for gcse maths at grade 6/7. But not all universities ask for specific gcse requirements as they are not an accurate indicator of how well a student will do at a level . It also depends on what a levels you want to do , if maths is an a level you would like to do (most unis ask/ recommend maths a level if you want to do medicine ) however with some unis you can get away with not doing maths as long as you take 2 science a levels . most sixth forms / colleges usually ask for a grade 7 in maths to take it a level . Buttt there are plentyyy of universities with lots of different courses which can get you onto medicine . My advice : search around at different unis , look at their course requirements and choose your a levels wisely but gcse grades are certainly not the end of the world so don’t worry !
Benthebest07
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I got 776666655 in my GCSES is doing medicine a hopeless dream ?
Fi33ler
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you think you can absolutely smash your a levels to make up for ur gcses then by all means give it a shot but keep in mind a levels are still a step up compared to gcses even after the grade and syllabus change.Universities mostly look at a levels and not many look at gcse grades. You can double check on the unis website about what they look at and even email people if u aren't sure. If someone says it's hopeless for you it's probably because they think u won't perform well at a level considering ur gcses Up to u if u think u can pull it off
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (14)
6.57%
They might tell the bully (22)
10.33%
I don't think they'd understand (36)
16.9%
It might lead to more bullying (74)
34.74%
There's nothing they could do (67)
31.46%

Watched Threads