DrakeQ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm in my 2nd year of 16-18 college (IT BTEC) and I want to switch from it to 6th form. I'm 17 and I want to mention that I don't have any GCSEs taken but I'm supposed to take them this year in 2 subjects, English and Maths. Can I change from this college to a sixth form? If yes, in which year I'll be placed?
I still prefer to be in college, so another question is can I continue to do my BTEC alongside with 2 or 3 A levels? Can I take them somehow in a sixth form cuz I don't wanna pay for them. Or the only way to take them is in a private course if I still attend to college? The whole point is I want to study at the University of Cambridge and I'm afraid that they will not accept me with a BTEC National Extended Diploma which is equivalent to 3 A-levels. I'm studying only 3 days in a week, in one of these having only 2 lessons but is considered a full-time course. Can I get some help PLEASSEE it's really important!!!!!!!!!!!!!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DrakeQ)
I'm in my 2nd year of 16-18 college (IT BTEC) and I want to switch from it to 6th form. I'm 17 and I want to mention that I don't have any GCSEs taken but I'm supposed to take them this year in 2 subjects, English and Maths. Can I change from this college to a sixth form? If yes, in which year I'll be placed?
I still prefer to be in college, so another question is can I continue to do my BTEC alongside with 2 or 3 A levels? Can I take them somehow in a sixth form cuz I don't wanna pay for them. Or the only way to take them is in a private course if I still attend to college? The whole point is I want to study at the University of Cambridge and I'm afraid that they will not accept me with a BTEC National Extended Diploma which is equivalent to 3 A-levels. I'm studying only 3 days in a week, in one of these having only 2 lessons but is considered a full-time course. Can I get some help PLEASSEE it's really important!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What have you grades been like in college?
Why dont you have GCSE?

Imo its unlikely they will take you in sixth form as you normally require grade 6 at GCSE to do an A level in that subject.
You can change if you find a sixth form willing to take you.
Do they do A levels at the college?

You are going to have to do A levels as a private candidate or in exceptional circumstances an Access course.
A levels you will most likely need to pay. Access course you can get a loan for.

You should id your Cambridge course and contact them, but I wouldnt rate your chances.
DrakeQ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
What have you grades been like in college?
Why dont you have GCSE?

Imo its unlikely they will take you in sixth form as you normally require grade 6 at GCSE to do an A level in that subject.
You can change if you find a sixth form willing to take you.
Do they do A levels at the college?

You are going to have to do A levels as a private candidate or in exceptional circumstances an Access course.
A levels you will most likely need to pay. Access course you can get a loan for.

You should id your Cambridge course and contact them, but I wouldnt rate your chances.
I don't have any gcse because I was 16 when I came in uk, I'm european, I did some exams in my country but they couldn't take it into account
Exceptional grades, extracurricular activities such as IT competitions across UK, all I have now is my level 1 certificate in IT, level 1 FS in english and level 2 FS maths.
No, they don't have A-levels, only BTECs vocational diplomas
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DrakeQ)
I don't have any gcse because I was 16 when I came in uk, I'm european, I did some exams in my country but they couldn't take it into account
Exceptional grades, extracurricular activities such as IT competitions across UK, all I have now is my level 1 certificate in IT, level 1 FS in english and level 2 FS maths.
No, they don't have A-levels, only BTECs vocational diplomas
What grades did you get for first year in your extended diploma?
Unfortunately your lack of GCSE makes it difficult for you to do A level as schools wont take you.
If you want to do A levels then almost certainly it will be by paying yourself after you leave school.
Ask around but I dont think sixth forms will take you.
Its also unclear whether you would get UK loans for university as well due to brexit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (40)
26.67%
No (110)
73.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed